Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm comfortable with Portis but...

AUviaDC101

You want a POWER back???? First off, regardless of his size, Portis runs HARD and blocks HARD. Second of all, ESPN.com lists Portis at 5'11" - 212 lbs and Edgerrin James at 6'0" - 214 lbs. Even seeing them on the field they look the same size. You really don't know what you're talking about...

Portis is younger, faster, and works harder than Edgerrin James. Portis was the 4th leader rusher, Edge was 5th, no way do i take Edge over Portis. And Alexander over Portis, not a chance. Alexander has Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson, not to mention Locklear and Gray too, he has an allstar o-line and NFC leading QB, I would rather Portis than anyone except Larry J, Ladanian, or Tiki.

Boy if Portis is only DECENT I guess that would make John Riggins, Larry Brown, Stephen Davis, Terry Allen & Ernest Byner guys that were lucky to have a job. Some people are never satisfied. Moss breaks the Redskins Single Season Receiving Record and has a breakout year... but he is not a big play maker. Portis breaks the Redskins Single Season Rushing Record and posts 1500 yards for the 3rd time in 4 years... and he is just a decent back. Brunell has one of his best years and throws for the most TD's in his career, made key plays with his arm and his legs, led us back to the Playoffs... but he should be the back-up. :doh:

no one could have said that better. if portis is only decent, than John Riggins was lucky when he broke the 4th & 2 run for a touchdown in the Miami super bowl, Doug Williams was just o.k. in the Denver Super Bowl, and Timmy Smith's record 204 yards in a Super Bowl was because he was a huge pound the ball runner

Signing another big back with those type of skills to split time with Portis may not be a terrible idea, but replacing him is. He's been an amazing contributor with plenty of drive left for many more years.

Getting a RB situation like Denver has would not be bad, but is also not a requirement for us to have a solid rushing game. KC also is looking at splitting time between backs. While this will likely work out great for the team, each player has to be content with being a #2 RB. I am not sure that Portis is ready to step backwards, nor is it necessary.

While Edge might work out just as well, I do not honestly believe he will be better to the point where we would want Portis replaced. I think we're good to go as we are; we just need to use our depth a little more often.

Why? I just do not understand this. Why stop Portis now he is getting used to a different style of running and for the first two years he has been prtetty good. No he has been excellent, but other then his skills Portis a great team player. I do not know what kind of player Edge, I do not wanr him to mess up the chemnisrtry the Skins already has.

Portis 'stlye' has dramatically altered. He has gained weight and he is plowing straight through the defense (sometime just by himself the man is so quick) rather than cutting the sides like he is best known for... Edge has a hell of an offensive line leading him in and a QB that scares defenses to play it back off the line of scrimage. When we enter a game the other team knows that we are going to run the ball and make them eat it. once we get a little more passing options, example another WR to open the feild, portis is going to be given more room to attack with. he will most likely (praying no injury) be in the top three RBs next year! HE IS OUR MAN!

BEFORE READING!!! I AM NOT DENYING PORTIS' GAME!!! THIS IS FOR A POWER BACK BASIS!

I really wish we had a DECENT running back, right now (other than Portis) that would allow us to LEGITIMATELY pursue Edgerin james...

I mean, for the Gibbsian Running Game, Edge would be PERFECT. I know alot of people will disagree, or whatever, but Edge is the type of running back that would turn those 1 and 2 yard gains into 4 and 6 yarders...

He is also a VERY good 3rd and short back as well. he could destroy defenses that fill up the box. But I know that Al will cater the offense to allow Portis to EXPLODE, I just wouldnt mind Edge, or Alexander...

Personal perspective.

Gibbs For Life!!!

well I agree that Edge is a great running back...one of the best in the league....but why would we pursue Edge? you do realized if Edge came here he would not be a BACKUP......and doesn't deserve to be a backup....also...I think we're fine with CP and Betts and Rock

Edge is more of a lightweight than portis is! Edge is older and has had health issues in the past. Plus, he has been playing in a pass-first offensive system and Gibbs' offense is more reliant on the run. Edge is a great running back, but he gets so many yards because he's been part of an amazing offense and teams focus on shutting down receivers, not the run. Portis is one of the toughest runners out there and will run even with his many injuries. Period.

Portis not only broke the Redskins' rushing record, he did so with only 3 monster runs (runs of 25 yards or more) and NONE over 50 and you can count the number of 15-24 yard carries on your hands. He did not break the record by popping a few big runs but by consistently making solid runs. He was a better runner than the opposing defense usually faced at least 15 out of 16 times! He is one of the best blockers at the RB position in the NFL and, while he's not the best receiving RB, how many times has he caught dumpoffs that save our bacon? Right now, his game reminds me of his coach although he's also more of a home-run threat. He was no more beat up than any other prime RB. While one can cry about his performance in the playoffs, TB and Seattle were both great run defenses, Randy Thomas was missing and our passing game was not right.

BEFORE READING!!! I AM NOT DENYING PORTIS' GAME!!! THIS IS FOR A POWER BACK BASIS!

I really wish we had a DECENT running back, right now (other than Portis) that would allow us to LEGITIMATELY pursue Edgerin james...

I mean, for the Gibbsian Running Game, Edge would be PERFECT. I know alot of people will disagree, or whatever, but Edge is the type of running back that would turn those 1 and 2 yard gains into 4 and 6 yarders...

He is also a VERY good 3rd and short back as well. he could destroy defenses that fill up the box. But I know that Al will cater the offense to allow Portis to EXPLODE, I just wouldnt mind Edge, or Alexander...

Personal perspective.

Gibbs For Life!!!

do you need a brain transplant? edge is old, and portis is better by a longshot anyway

ok here goes hope i dont get too bad of a beating. CP is great but i for one am concerned about his longevity. i do forsee him becomming injury prone in the next few years. i love cp but i must admit that i am surprised that he broke the record this year. i think he got of to a slow start and maybe it just took time to adjust but that concerns me about his consistency. i hope i am wrong but those are just my thoughts

one of the single dumbest threads ive ever read, i mean portis does not fit this system at all right?? he only broke the redskins single season rushing record but yeah lets go sign another back..keep these dumb thoughts to yourself dont post em on the net so we can all see them and laugh at you

Archived