Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Road to the Pro Bowl" On ESPN

SMOSS89

It's just flat out shocking that they don't do more of a storyline or synopsis of Moss' season, which was equally as "miraculous" as what Steve Smith managed to do in Carolina. But I guess because Moss appropriately talks less smack and acts with his deeds -- and less with his mouth -- he's the lesser story.

Or, perhaps there is something to this media bias, at least with regards to ESPN? Whereas before, I thought that there was no bias against the Redskins -- maybe just a bit of frustration on Pasquarelli's behalf that he got snubbed of the Gibbs story -- I think that the interchange between Art/Fan Chats and Len throughout the season has had an impact. I suspect that a guy as seasoned and experienced as Pasquarelli has some stroke when it comes to what to cover/promote in the ESPN NFL coverage department.

Anyway. A real journalist -- i.e., someone looking to report the interesting truth -- would have covered a guy who went from being on the outs with the Jets to being the #2 receiver in the league; a man who helped raise our offense from 30th to 11th statistically. Because, you know, that's an interesting and true story. :whoknows:

It's just flat out shocking that they don't do more of a storyline or synopsis of Moss' season, which was equally as "miraculous" as what Steve Smith managed to do in Carolina. But I guess because Moss appropriately talks less smack and acts with his deeds -- and less with his mouth -- he's the lesser story.

Or, perhaps there is something to this media bias, at least with regards to ESPN? Whereas before, I thought that there was no bias against the Redskins -- maybe just a bit of frustration on Pasquarelli's behalf that he got snubbed of the Gibbs story -- I think that the interchange between Art/Fan Chats and Len throughout the season has had an impact. I suspect that a guy as seasoned and experienced as Pasquarelli has some stroke when it comes to what to cover/promote in the ESPN NFL coverage department.

Anyway. A real journalist -- i.e., someone looking to report the interesting truth -- would have covered a guy who went from being on the outs with the Jets to being the #2 receiver in the league; a man who helped raise our offense from 30th to 11th statistically. Because, you know, that's an interesting and true story. :whoknows:

I really don't get into all these perceived media slights, but it's hard not to believe there's a subtle pattern with ESPN. And by my preception of the egos and the comparatively high level of personal and emotional bias of many of these commentators, I don't assume they're above such things.

To wit: A 30+ year newspaper/radio/TV reporter who also taught journalism where I was working, told me a few years ago that the sports desks were the most unprofessional, personality driven, buddy-system-run, CYA, ill-informed, outright fraudulent, favor-swapping, bribe/perk-oriented segment of the field…more or less :laugh: .

He also said it was a very profitable, popular, and important part of any media outlet, he just thought it belonged 100% in the entertainment divisions and not the news divisions. He likened it to how the sports guys felt about "pro" wresting before that became widely acknowledged as “strictly entertainment."

He was always offended that they were allowed in the "real reporting" area/meetings. It took a little effort to get him to acknowledge it's not all like that, but I think his rants were less out-there than it sounds. The guy was pretty objective, intelligent, and reasonable about most things and had established solid credibility.

In an ideal world there would be fair and objective media coverage in everything. However as my media communications prof told us, "If you remember nothing else in this class remember this: objectivity in the media is bull****. At it's best it's a myth. There is no such thing as unbiased reporting."

They are doing a show about each player at each position in the Pro Bowl. They did bios and bragged on all the receivers in the game, except for one reciever. Guess who THAT was?

Yea, the only reason I stayed tuned in was because they were going through the PB receivers....except Moss, of course. :doh: :mad:

They didn't show Delhomme(sp), DeAngelo Hall or Rod Smith either(I'm sure they left out some others, but I didn't watch the whole thing) so it wasn't as if ONLY the Redskins players were left out. I think it is really dumb to have left out Moss for someone like Holt, but then again, they also had Brady and Palmer, who aren't even there.

Archived