Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tony Richardson?

e16bball

I've recently been pondering the look of the offense next season, and I got to wondering about the FB vs. H-Back situation as it pertains to Saunders vs. Gibbs.

Obviously, if we are going to stick with the H-Back + TE scheme, this is a moot point, so I guess it's a two-part question.

1) What do you think about switching to a FB + TE scheme where Cooley would line up at TE?

2) If we did incorporate a pure FB, what about adding Tony Richardson as a veteran FA?

Here's my two pennies (and for the record, I'm very much on the fence about it all): I'm not sure Cooley's in-line blocking is sufficient at a pure TE position, and so that may handcuff us because clearly he has to be on the field. If he could succeed at the TE position, however, I think Richardson is an extremely interesting proposition. He is a great lead-blocker, a load in short-yardage, and a hard-nosed veteran presence. He also happens to be one of the most upstanding guys in the league, which I think would certainly appeal to Gibbs's sense of Redskins-type players. Additionally, he is about as familiar with Saunders's scheme as anyone. He is 34 years old, but that is really not particularly old for a FB.

Obviously, Cooley's blocking is an issue for me, as is the presence of Mike Sellers, because I'd really like to see him get a shot at a full-time starting gig. However, he doesn't have Richardson's experience at the FB spot, and I think the coaching staff would limit his ST play if he was a major part of the offense; that is bothersome to me because he is such a physical and emotional member of that unit.

So, all of that said, would you or would you not consider taking a run at Tony Richardson in FA?

i really like tony richardson. he's getting up there in age, but if i remember correctly he actually was KC's starting running back a while back before Priest holmes arrived. that shows that he is very versatile. And with the experience he has at fullback, i think he would be a great blocker, and a great pass reciever out of the backfield. that being said, we do have mike sellers that is very capable to fill any spot that tony richardson would potentially fill for us.

i really like tony richardson. he's getting up there in age, but if i remember correctly he actually was KC's starting running back a while back before Priest holmes arrived. that shows that he is very versatile. And with the experience he has at fullback, i think he would be a great blocker, and a great pass reciever out of the backfield. that being said, we do have mike sellers that is very capable to fill any spot that tony richardson would potentially fill for us.

it's hard to imagine richardson being any more effective than sellers. sellers had 7 td's this season. put him in saunders offense and he shouldbe able to match that next year. plus he is huge at the point of attack- like another guard

we do need another purely blocking tight end. like middleton used tobe for the skins. cooley improved, but he is still not inthat class, and is 30 lbs lighter

it's hard to imagine richardson being any more effective than sellers. sellers had 7 td's this season. put him in saunders offense and he shouldbe able to match that next year. plus he is huge at the point of attack- like another guard

we do need another purely blocking tight end. like middleton used tobe for the skins. cooley improved, but he is still not inthat class, and is 30 lbs lighter

are you comparing the offense production? why? tony richardson maybe the best fb in the league.. only 1 comes to mind is lorenzo neal. if we can get richardson, we should. sellers is nothign to him

Yeah I agree, there are plenty of way to keep everyone involved if we brought in Richardson, Sellers can be used for slower developing plays and richardson is smaller and quicker to keep up with clinton on more attacking style plays. I think Sellers is more of a tightend than fullback, hes huge, can catch, and can move, that's more than can be said about Robert Royal. But you're right, it all depends on not only the system deployed, but the contract he would demand.

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

1. Saunder's offense is the same as Gibbs offense.

2. at HB Tony G played the same role as Cooley

3. at FB Tony R played the same role as Sellers

4. at RB Johnson played the same role as Portis

I don't think I would trade the three KC players for the Skins players Sellers and Cooley are several years younger than The KC Tonys, who are near the end of there careers.

This isnt going to happen because saunders loves the h back just like joe gibbs and cooley will continue to play h back. I think we should keep sellers at fb and upgrade at Tight End. We need to either trade up or hope one of these stud tight ends in the draft falls to us. There are a lot of good tight ends this year and I would take any one of them.

Tony Richardson soon not even be in this question. I've watched him play every game here in Kansas City. Granted he is a very good blocker, but you can definitely find somebody that blocks just as well for a fraction of the price. He is going to command a pretty huge salary just because he has been in the league for so long. He can't run and he doesn't catch. All he does is block. Unless you want to throw tons of money away for one third down blocker in the backfield, go ahead. I'd spend the money on some good blocking offensive lineman to keep the d-line out of the backfield.

PS. Saunders is a god. KC's one big mistake was letting him go!

Chris Cooley wouldnt have any problems switching to tight end in saunders schemes. I dont think Gonzales did a lot of blocking either. He had over 100 catches two years ago---he couldnt have been blocking a whole lot that year. Cooley would do just fine the few times he had to block and it wouldnt be a problem if we didnt use an H-back. I wouldnt be surprised to see us use both.

Archived