Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spanish/Asian Immigrants today vs. Irish/Italian Immigrants in 1800's

gortiz

Anybody see Gangs of New York? I have read that is was a very honest and accurate portrayal of the times and this country at the turn of the 20th century.

In the movie, Irish immigrants were seen as scum that were lazy, lawless criminals that started gangs, and as outsiders stealing jobs from the "natives." Natives being people born on american soil. From readings I discovered that Italian immigrants were eventually treated the same way, this time by the Irish "natives."

LIving in Northern Virginia, there is a big deal going on with illeagal and legal immigrants standing around certain areas waiting for jobs from contractors in search of cheap/hard labor. People seem so adament to not let these immigrants find work, but the great, great grandfathers of these same people were looking for work like these immigrants not so long ago and because their name was O'neil or McNeal they were treated so poorly.

I am in no way defending present day immigrant gangs like MS-13, and I despise anyone who does not respect and appreciate how great this country is, but the hypocrisy is AMAZING.

How is it that this whole period of time was only 100 or so years ago, and today people see current day immigrants (predominately hispanic and asian) in the same light? What are your thoughts on this?

From readings I discovered that Italian immigrants were eventually treated the same way, this time by the Irish "natives."

Hell, you don't need to read it, just ask my Grandparents what they experienced when they got here... :laugh:

It wasn't just from the Irish, either, but people who came to this country from parts of Italy north of Naples & Rome. People from farther south literally got spit upon when getting off the boat by immigrants from Northern Italy.

Hell, you don't need to read it, just ask my Grandparents what they experienced when they got here... :laugh:

It wasn't just from the Irish, either, but people who came to this country from parts of Italy north of Naples & Rome. People from farther south literally got spit upon when getting off the boat by immigrants from Northern Italy.

thats amazing man. I guess it is just a human nature thing, regardless of race, color, background. If your a little different, and if you are in any way changing the landscape, your going to get hell ... I would think that people now are just a little more understanding in today's world ...

I for one hold a view that is often ignored by the people that tend to agree with you. I do not support illegal immigration for a number of reasons, both economic and security related. If the guy standing outside the 7-11 is documented and paying taxes I say good on him. If he is a guy that is not supposed to be in this country, is not documented and not paying one cent towards the institutions that he will someday rely on, then I have a problem with it.

Bottom line is, it is possible to be against ILLEGAL immigration without being anti-immigrant.

Just curious

Should current immigrant laws be more liberalized, or in other words are you for or against making it easier for people to immigrant to this country?

To be honest I am not real familiar with the current immigration process. And I am not sure why all the immigrants are coming illegally. I suspect some of their reasons are economic as well. I knew plenty of people in the military that came here legally joined the military and then eventually got their citizenship expedited.

Once again the "bottom line" is that I do not think that legal entry into this country should be overly difficult. However not getting to come here the same day you decide to does not fall into the "overly difficult" realm in my opinion.

And because I didn't answer your question the first time, I suspect it should be easier than it is today.

I would think that people now are just a little more understanding in today's world ...

You would think so? or you do think so? The point the original poster was trying to make is its exactly the same. People aren't more understanding. Just because there aren't all-out race riots in No.Va. doesn't mean that racism isn't engrained in our society, or in the world for that matter.

Archived