Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Offseason Needs (Kicking)

G-Prime

I guess I'm not gonna understand the fixation with Hughes.

Why do you think kickers in college are able to kick through the back of the end zone on kickoffs but NO ONE in the NFL does this? Does 5 yards make that big of a difference? No it's the rules put in place to keep kickers from launching footballs into the atmosphere. The balls are different and IIRC the tees are shorter. If Hughes couldn't kick off in college he sure as hell isn't gonna KO in the pros.

It also means his career long of 53 in college, which was probalby only made with a tailwind, is probably equivalent to a 46/47 yarder with an NFL "K" ball. You are talking amax FG range of the 30 yard line. Which was basically Halls range when he was injured...

Kicker is a priority. However it's one of the easiest positions to fill in the NFL (relative to value). No way the Skins should waste a draft pick on a kicker. They'll look for a free agent pick up.

A #2 WR is a much harder position to fill. I'd like to see them go after some size even if it means giving up speed. Every team seems to need help at DE. Those guys will go quickly in free agency and the draft - hopefully the Skins will be able to pick a good player up.

Yeah that might be an option, but I love my kickers with NFL experience. Kicking unfortunately is not kicking. There are plenty of good college kickers that flop in the pros. I'd prefer experience.

I prefer experience as well but you have to have some type of competition in Training Camp. Young guys are the way to go in that respect. I'd love to have Nedney but he's missed some time with injuries over the past few years. I'm not so sure he's the answer.

I understand that touchbacks are more difficult to come by these days, HOWEVER, Hall still struggled to boot it inside the 10. It was a regular basis for teams to begin their series between the 30-40 follwing a KO. Despite their excellent defense, theres till the issue of field position.

Definately. I would have loved to see our D with the opposing offense stuck within their own 5 a few more times this year.

That almost never happens with kickoffs, since you can't kick it out of bounds.

If you are speaking of punting, then it makes more sense. In that case, tho, Tupa can still do the job.

Jason

Hard to find a kicker who can boot kickoffs through the end zone plus nail 40+ FG's with consistency. I'd rather have the guy who can boot the 40 plusers. Our kickoff coverage teams did a great job at the end of the season in keeping returns to a minimum on Hall's short kicks. Hopefully that will be the Skins focus in the offseason.

Kicker imo is a top priority as well.

The Redskins simply cannot be giving away the field position battle as a default as they did so often this year. It costs games.

Nedney would be a fine option.

Punter should be addressed as well though I have little insight as to whom.

Enough with the on - again- off again kickers. Let's lock these two positions down with solid reliable options and be done with it.

...and for goodness sake, can we see a touch back or two a game?

No sh_t!

Kickers do one thing.......kick.

If you can't get us good field position, or make a 50 yrd field goal, then you're outta here!

Hall is a BIG dissapointment to me.

Kicking is more important then alot of ppl realize.

With a much improved kicking game, this season would have been a different story.

Hail!:point2sky

No sh_t!

Kickers do one thing.......kick.

If you can't get us good field position, or make a 50 yrd field goal, then you're outta here!

Hall is a BIG dissapointment to me.

Kicking is more important then alot of ppl realize.

With a much improved kicking game, this season would have been a different story.

Hail!:point2sky

Don't be too hard on Hall. The guy did well for us before he injured himself.

But there's no need to keep a guy that doesn't stay healthy.

I swear i remember hall's first injury being an accident but the second one was supposedly due to him working too hard to recover and came more from overstress on his leg in the weight room. According to the team the staff will be paying closer attention to him and making sure he lifts accordingly to get back to where he was with the jets.

Anybody that can kick in that stadium for new york can kick imo. That's why hall is so accurate and I think he only missed once inside the 40. We all know he can consistently hit 40- yarders all day long but its the 50 yarders that leave us wanting. I think he'll be good to go next year...it's the punting situation that really hurts us...aka the field position we are talking about. Zastudil would be a good pick up.

I'd look to a punter that is a good option for kickoffs in case Hall still is unable to do that. IMO we are fine in terms of placekicking...just find a punter that can take over KO responsibilities as well. (easier said than done)

I have seen at least one team in the NFL this year that had two Ks.

One for FGs and PATs, the other specialized in kicking off.

That sucker nailed every one into the EZ without a return. The other team had to start at their 20 yard line after every KO.

I thought to myself, 'how can a team afford that in todays salcap?'.

Then, I thought to myself, 'with Hall and his weak KOs, why don't we do the same?'

I like Hall as our K, but he sucks at kickoffs to the 10 or 15 YL.

Maybe, if we had a long kicker for KOs, we could cut a few STers and pay for his salary. :2cents: :cheers:

That almost never happens with kickoffs, since you can't kick it out of bounds.

If you are speaking of punting, then it makes more sense. In that case, tho, Tupa can still do the job.

Jason

You don't know that.. Not saying I do either, but like I said two or three times already in this thread, if you can upgrade key positions cheaply, then you do it.

I have seen at least one team in the NFL this year that had two Ks.

One for FGs and PATs, the other specialized in kicking off.

That sucker nailed every one into the EZ without a return. The other team had to start at their 20 yard line after every KO.

I thought to myself, 'how can a team afford that in todays salcap?'.

Then, I thought to myself, 'with Hall and his weak KOs, why don't we do the same?'

I like Hall as our K, but he sucks at kickoffs to the 10 or 15 YL.

Maybe, if we had a long kicker for KOs, we could cut a few STers and pay for his salary. :2cents: :cheers:

We're already short roster size that could have been used for another wide receiver last year. A second kicker would cripple us further imo.

You don't know that.. Not saying I do either, but like I said two or three times already in this thread, if you can upgrade key positions cheaply, then you do it.

Course, kickers are a hard position to upgrade, particularly when you already have a guy who is pretty good like Hall.

Yes, I'm saying Hall is pretty good. The guy is money inside the 40, which people here seem to underrate. Yes, last year he couldn't make the long ones if he tried, but I think with current NFL rules that isn't nearly as critical as it once was, because when you miss, you give the opponent great field position.

I mean, let's look at the Cowboys. They had problems all year filling the kicker position. When changing kickers, it never seems to go smoothly for teams, and they often struggle to find someone who does the job.

This is why I'm more in favor of getting a young guy to handle kickoffs, if Hall can't do it. At least then, you get an extensive look at a young guy without having him hurt you in games.

Course, if Hall gets healthy and gets some of his range back, this argument is moot, and we don't need to upgrade.

Jason

He will be back for one season, at least.:helmet:

Ok but what about after that? We have a chance this year to sign a good punter that has a ton of years left in him and would be good for us for a long time. I just think it makes sense, maybe I'm wrong.

Archived