Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New round 2 mock draft up -- Redskins pick...

MoDaddy

All of this will of course change numerous times between now and the draft, but I think the Skins will get a WR through free agency and will draft a DE in the second round.

Hail,

H

I think that a CB would also be an option in rd 2. I think the DE players are so hit and miss (high risk, high reward) in rd 2 that the coaches will fill a need with a better option in regards to not wasting that pick...and that option will be a CB. Springs may have a year or 2 left and we need to groom a good back CB for future starting. We got our entire defensive line from FA and I think that will continue, unless the Skins nab a top player with minimal downside.

I'd love to see Marcedes Leweis here. Does anybody think he could drop to us?

No. He's a lock for the 1st round. Also, he plays tight end, though he can line up in the slot.

Hagan is this year's version of 50/50. Great physical gifts but couldn't catch a cold. When he DOES catch the ball, he fumbles. As he did TWICE in the UCLA game.

No idea if we will go WR in the second round - personally I hope we go O'Line or D'Line depth.

Interested to understand why you think we would go for a pass ctaching TE when we have Chris Cooley doing quite nicely in that role already (I know he plays H back but the two roles are pretty interchangeable). Robert Royal and Mike Sellers are pretty good blockers as well.

Agree we need a #2 WR but I doubt a second or 3rd round pick is going to come in and contribute so I see us gettinga FA or trade for that spot. Other glaring need is some quality depth on the O'line and that is where I would spend my #2 if there is a player worthy of the pick left.

HTTR

Martin

While I agree that we NEED a speed rusher and more depth on the OL and at CB, my thought is that Gibbs and Co. would be more likely to go with a TE than with a WR (referencing the mock draft pick at the start of the thread).

Breaking down my thinking:

1. TEs, especially of the pass-catching variety, have translated their potential into NFL production fairly well over the last several years (compared to the production curve that most WRs follow)

2. This is a Gibbs kind of pick -- a la Cooley, who is a STAR IMO -- because these guys do better at picking TEs than they do receivers AND it will provide so many more options in the Gibbs and Saunders schemes. See #3

3. A stellar pass-cathcing TE will take the reduce the pressure on the #2 WR position -- you will not only have Cooley at H-back, Moss at #1, a solid #2 (if all goes well in FA), but you will also have a TE who can stretch the field.

Sounds good to me. Of course, we may also be able to get this kind of player in the 3rd round. It is just something I think Gibbs is likely to do -- get another pair of sure hands and athleticism at the line of scrimmage.

Why does everyone want to pick a TE early? Guys like that in Gibbs' offense have always been undersized OL. Plus, with the exception of the very top guys, they aren't usually very good blockers, which is more of a priority in a Gibbs offense than being able to "stretch the field", which is usually the job of a WR.

Now, Saunders may change things, but I don't believe so, especially since we already have Cooley to fill that role. If we take TE, I expect it further down in the draft.

Jason

Now, Saunders may change things, but I don't believe so, especially since we already have Cooley to fill that role. If we take TE, I expect it further down in the draft.

It's true. Cooley is fine for the Gonzo role, and Sellers is good enough as Richardson. Jason Dunn only has 27 catches over the past 3 seasons.

why does everyone go by what they do in senior bowl practices? That has nothing to do with holding every ASU Recieving record in history. He's a WR that can make plays. He's been the #1 WR on that team since his freshman year when Sean McDonald left to go pro. He's won 4 bowl games in his years with ASU. He's a winner!!!

Because it is one of the biggest weeks of their football life and Hagan choked. 50-50 is a guy you would want on your team if you went to Clemson. If you were a Florida Alum I would think you would be all for Taylor Jacobs etc.

Why does everyone want to pick a TE early? Guys like that in Gibbs' offense have always been undersized OL. Plus, with the exception of the very top guys, they aren't usually very good blockers, which is more of a priority in a Gibbs offense than being able to "stretch the field", which is usually the job of a WR.

Jason

so maybe we can take a O-lineman who played tight-end in high school. 5th or 6th rd would be nice

Weaknesses:

Does not have great pure speed...Is not a deep threat...Will still drop some catchable passes and hands are somewhat questionable...May have trouble separating from pro defensive backs...Is not a great blocker...Does not work the middle of the field much...May not have a lot of upside at the next level.

I don't want Rod Gardner to play for the Skins again!

Yeah, pass on this clown. He isn't anything we need in a #2 reciever. Someone who can catch, block and work the middle of the field. I'll take anyone with those three abilities at #2. I think we see either a DB or TE for this pick. I just can't see the Skins passing up on all the available WRs in FA this year just to draft one. :2cents:

Jason

Not that I want one...just saying that IF the coaches target a receiving threat with that pick (as the mock draft suggests), it is more likely to be a pass-catching TE than a WR, given the disparity in production between the two positions for rookies across the NFL the last couple of years.

We're essentially talking about an Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzalez type who can line up wide at times, acting as a #2 receiver. What's wrong with having a pure pass-cathcing TE and Chris Cooley??

It appears to me that the evolution of offenses in the NFL is such that the smaller deep threat #1 WR (Santana, Steve Smith, Hines Ward) is out-producing the bigger #1 WR and the athletic, pass-catching TEs (Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez, Jeremy Shockey, Chris Cooley) are starting to out-produce #2 and certainly #3 WR. Al Saunders and Joe Gibbs seem to be on the cutting edge of that evolution. Yes, we have Cooley, but how about having him plus this other TE threat?

That being said I fully expect and hope we go for the best available player on defense if our first pick remains at #53. Hopefully, this will also be a dominant speed rusher. And then we can get a steal for a TE in later rounds as was Cooley.

We're essentially talking about an Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzalez type who can line up wide at times, acting as a #2 receiver. What's wrong with having a pure pass-cathcing TE and Chris Cooley??

Because it serves no purpose. Do you know ANY team that has two pure pass-catching TEs? No. Why? Because there isn't enough balls for those guys, and you need guys who can block as well.

My question to you is, what would a TE add to this offense that a big WR cannot?

The question is moot anyways, because the guy you want isn't going to be there at the end of the second round. You basically want a guy who is as fast as a WR, but weighs about 250. Guess what? A guy like that is going to be snapped up in the first round if he's worth a damn.

So, I'd rather have the WR, who probably will be around, because there are a few guys like that, rather than the TE you want, which at that point probably won't be any better than what we already have in Cooley.

Jason

Because it serves no purpose. Do you know ANY team that has two pure pass-catching TEs? No. Why? Because there isn't enough balls for those guys, and you need guys who can block as well.

My question to you is, what would a TE add to this offense that a big WR cannot?

The question is moot anyways, because the guy you want isn't going to be there at the end of the second round. You basically want a guy who is as fast as a WR, but weighs about 250. Guess what? A guy like that is going to be snapped up in the first round if he's worth a damn.

So, I'd rather have the WR, who probably will be around, because there are a few guys like that, rather than the TE you want, which at that point probably won't be any better than what we already have in Cooley.

Jason

You're right. I'm an idiot.

Archived