Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joining an NFL team

#98QBKiller

I can't answer your question but I've always wondered how one gets himself into the coaching business.

you have to work your way up the ranks. 1 way is to play i nthe league. then become a position coach corrdinator then head coach or you could come from the college game either become a position coach coodinator or head coach.

gotta have hookups...

you have to work your way up the ranks. 1 way is to play i nthe league. then become a position coach corrdinator then head coach or you could come from the college game either become a position coach coodinator or head coach.

gotta have hookups...

Did Gibbs ever play in the NFL?

To get into the coaching ranks of any level, you don't have to of played the game, though it would help.

Its basically who you know. Someone has to get into a position to hire you as an assistant or in some other capacity. They basically are bringing you along for the ride.

You can go through school and from an academic stand point, get involved with the staff, but in the end, the Head Coach has to want you on his staff and give you a spot.

Gibbs was a TE and SanDiego State.

I believe teams have a try out in the spring for undrafted players. Not sure if you need an invite or if its open.

Have you tried to email or call the Skins?

Didn't even think of it. I just e-mailed them to find out how it works. I know there are always a lot of players in the preseason that the team will try out and decide whether or not to keep. I assume that most of these guys are undrafted. I'll let you know when I hear back from them.

Didn't even think of it. I just e-mailed them to find out how it works. I know there are always a lot of players in the preseason that the team will try out and decide whether or not to keep. I assume that most of these guys are undrafted. I'll let you know when I hear back from them.

Good luck. :)

Not exactly sure how to register or anything, but i did hear (most likely a rumor) that the first two cuts were pretty much based on 40 time and strength (how many times you can put up 225). Not sure of the validity of this becuase I have no link, I just heard a friend was thinking of trying out for the skins and he thought he'd make it past the first two cuts.

Good luck, man!!

as long as you walk around the media with a ball gag in your mouth, you can play WR for philly...

if you can gain 80 yards rushing a year, you could be Mike Alstott

if you have problems swallowing your food during the big game, you could be a manning

if you can smoke crack, you can play WR for dallas and probably beat out Art Monk for the HOF (screw Canton if art doesn't get in today)

If you haven't had a good year since 2000 yet everyone still kisses your butt, then you're Ray Lewis, Brian Billick, the city of Baltimore...

if you have epileptic seizures when your name is announced before people, you are again Ray Lewis.

sorry, i was trying to say that anybody with the talent can make it with work and the proper exposure, but it came out this way.

I've often wondered this myself. As a matter of fact I would love to see the NFL Channel start doing some documentaries about "behind the scenes" action in the NFL. I know they do some things but they could certainly broaden their programming and maybe go from 22 showings of the same Total Access program per day down to...say, 10 or 12. :)

...and when the heck are they going to do an "In their own words" on Joe Gibbs???

Not exactly sure how to register or anything, but i did hear (most likely a rumor) that the first two cuts were pretty much based on 40 time and strength (how many times you can put up 225). Not sure of the validity of this becuase I have no link, I just heard a friend was thinking of trying out for the skins and he thought he'd make it past the first two cuts.

Interesting. Do you think there's any truth to this? I would hope it is based more on positional factors than anything. Say, if someone was trying out for a D-line spot, then they may not take into account how fast they run the 40 as opposed to someone trying out for DB or Special Teams ,and vice versa.

Or do you think that they abide by some sort of minimum for everyone? Like every player has to be able to bench 225 at least 15 times or run the 40 in 6.5? It's hard to imagine Antonio Brown or Santana Moss benching 225 20-times or Big Joe Salave'a running the 40 in 6.5.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Archived