Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Snyder is throwing around all this cash for coaches, why doesn't he . . .

goldenster95

. . . do the same for the scouting department? Linked below is an article on our scouting department. While the article is from November in 2004, I don't think its description of our scouting department has changed. According to the article, "The Redskins have one of the NFL's smallest scouting staffs."

If this is true now, which I think it is, why don't we blow some money on some more scouts and some good ones? This has always been a problem and why we haven't fixed this yet is beyond me. If we do get better scouts and more of them, we might just do better in the later rounds of the draft (though we have gotten some gems recently).

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:fK0Gyqfm3BQJ:lite.espn.go.com/nfl/columnist%3Fid%3D1926776+%22salary+cap%22+NFL+%22%24110+million%22+2006&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7

I like our scouting department actually.

Think of all the people we have drafted.

Sean Taylor

Fred Smoot

Chris Samuels

Lavar Arrington(formally LaVar Arrington)

Carlos Rogers(I put him here becuase i think he will be a great cornerback)

Chris Cooley

We wanted to Draft Santana Moss back in the day but drafted Rod Gardner(50/50) only becuase Marty Shottenhiemer wanted him. Jason Campbell in my opinion was also a great pick.

I'd like to see us do better in the later rounds though. Manuel White Jr.(HB) and Robert MCune(LB) are supposedly gonna be real good contributers. While we have drafted a player named Rock Cartwright whos been pretty solid this season.;):D

Sean Taylor

Fred Smoot

Chris Samuels

Chris Cooley

We wanted to Draft Santana Moss back in the day but drafted Rod Gardner(50/50) only becuase Marty Shottenhiemer wanted him. Jason Campbell in my opinion was also a great pick.

I think his point is that we haven't really done well in the latter rounds, the latest on your list was Cooley in the 3rd. Other teams have found gems late in the second day.

After that article was written, we did bolster our scouting staff, one that comes to mind instantly was the addition of none other then Ex Redskin Donny Warren. I have no worries about the F.O. ever since Gibbs came back. If Gibbs felt our scout team was garbage, he would let Snyder know it.

"The Redskins have one of the NFL's smallest scouting staffs."

Prior to hiring Marvin Lewis, the Bengals scouting staff was comprised of the owner's brother-in-law and a cousin. - This of course is one of the many things that changes when Lewis got there.

Scout is over rated in Football this aint BASEBALL and there is no MINOR LEAGUE. Football is hit and miss I will give you a few points. Tom Brady went in the 6th round look how many teams passed him over. Our scouting department is fine because it's Joe Gibbs he finds gems in players other teams dont want. He has put together a team in his image. Everyone said he was old and crazy when he signed Brunell, traded for Moss and drafted Campbell. Where are we drafting this year #25 the same place we drafted a qb that will be on our roster for a year learning the offense. It's not about drafting it's about finding players that fit your team.

Sean Taylor

Fred Smoot

Chris Samuels

Chris Cooley

I'd like to see us do better in the later rounds though. Manuel White Jr.(HB) and Robert MCune(LB) are supposedly gonna be real good contributers. While we have drafted a player named Rock Cartwright whos been pretty solid this season.;):D

From your list, I can also throw in names like Lloyd Harrison, Cliff Russell, Rod Gardner or even Taylor Jacobs. And they're all Day 1 draftees.

It's like an endless debate. I agree with the poster that we should upgrade our scouting department (or hire some more quality scouts to share the workload from coaching staff).

No wonder why we seem to trade away draft picks for proven veterans. I think even Snyder doesn't have confidence in his own scouts. :laugh:

I have zero idea of how the scouting department is set up with Redskins, but from what I read, it seems like the coaching staff does alot of its own scouting come time for all the bowls and such.

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. So basically spending money on the coaching staff is the same as spending money on a scouting department. And who better to determine what players the coaches need than the coaches.

If the evaluation of draft prospects is anything like the evaluation of free agents, I think our coaches spend a lot of time and look at a lot of factors when considering who to pick up.

Archived