Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Post-season Redskin award winners.

LiveStrongSkins

Feel free to add a category.

Offensive MVP: Clinton Portis. He gets the close nod over Moss in my opinion because he was the driving force in our playoff run. He gutted out yards and first downs to keep us in control of games. His relentless style of running and his ability to put us on his back carried us very close to the NFC title game. You can tell he wore down against Seattle, but the fact that he closed the hardest part of the season with 5 (or 6?) consecutive 100 yard games says a whole lot.

Defensive MVP: Cornelius Griffin. When he was out things just seemed to not come together. No push up the middle which voided the outside pass rush thus putting intense pressure on the linebackers than trickling into the secondary. When a healthy Griffin was inserted in the lineup, we shut down the run, got pressure up the middle which opened everything up once again for our playmakers on defense. Daniels went on a torrid sack streak, we increased turnovers, and Marcus Washington became the NFL's defensive player of the month.

Special teams MVP: Ade Jimoh. Say what you want about his cover skills but it seemed like he was everywhere on special teams. Whether it was lighting someone up on punt team or dowing a ball inside the 10, Jimoh was stellar on special teams. Thrash was injured a little too much to get this award in my opinion.

Most improved: Joe Sala'vea. As a Redskin we have seen him go from a unheralded journeyman to a solid rotational player to now a dominant force teamed with Griffin. He is part of the heartbeat of the defense and made several key plays as far as taking on double teams and stuffing ball carriers at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Surprise player of the year: Santana Moss. I'll admit that at first I questioned the move. I couldnt understand why we were giving in to Coles and picking up a wideout who had the injury prone label. I thought we had a core of a bunch of #2 and #3 wideouts. Wow was I wrong. The only thing in question here is the IQ of the Jets staff. Moss is virtually unguardable and can turn a 2 yard pass into a 80 yard TD. I cant wait to see what he can do when another wideout can draw some attention away from him.

Runner up for defensive MVP is Sean Taylor. Without him our pass defense struggled (the first game against the Yucks), and receivers were going across the middle without fear of their life. Reinserting Sean Taylor changed that.

Also, the last quarter against the Bucs showed how important he is to our pass defense as well. It was a little scary to see all this. I hope he straightens out his life.

Marcus Washington was definitly a huge factor for the defense. With the defensive blitzing scheme, you need smart disciplined players to play their assignments or else you're gonna get burned. Washington proved he could play his assignment perfectly every time. He was also a big time emotional leader on the Defense alot like Sean Taylor was.

"Best step in player": Ray Brown. He took over when the team needed them the most, in the "do or die" stretch at the end of the season. Even at his age he stepped in and played pretty well and helped the team to a playoff victory.

Surprise player-offense-Mark Brunell. Who expected him to lead us to the playoffs after last year?

Surprise player-defense-Lemar Marshall. Did a great job in his first year starting, out of his natural position of OLB no less, and led the team in interceptions and tackles.

Moss - MVP on offense. He stretched the defense so that Portis could get those yards and big plays that weren't there last yr.

Lemar Marshall - MVP on defense. After being converted to ILB from OLB I thought we were in trouble, I was wrong. He won us that Bears and Eagles game. Close second would be Washington.

Brunell is the biggest surprise this season. EVERYONE wrote him off and he came back to have IMO an NFC worthy pro bowl season.

I like those picks....

I have noticed that a lot of people disagree with others picks... I found myself doing the same.... not completely disagreeing just coming up with other people that could get said awards just as easily as those picked.......

The reason for this is one of the best things that our team has going for them... they all work together and there are no major major stars on the team.... even our biggest stars Portis and Moss are all about the "team concept" I love that about our SKINS....

Guest GibbSkins11

offensive : santana moss , in crunch time he always came thru , hell he almost did at seattle , with a 2nd wr he would of had 2,000 rec yards

defensive : marcus washington , HEART AND SOUL OF DEFENSE

special teams : TIE mike sellers and ade jimoh

most improved : mark brunell , he helped us win games early in season that ramsey would of thrown away

surprize : TIE santana moss and mike sellers

Offensive POY- Santana Moss- No Moss equals no passing game

Defensive POY- Marcus Washington- Is quietly becoming the heart and soul of the D.

Special Teams POY- Ethan Albright- I am sorry but he deserves some love. Has he ever had a bad snap.

Most Improved- Ade Jimoh- I was very impressed with his special teams play but he actually played solid D all year.

Rookie of the Year- Carlos Rogers- Not much competition, on the team, but when healthy he showed glimpses of why he was a top 10 pick.

Team MVP- Clinton Portis-What needs to be said? Team record in rushing yards, main cog of the offensive game plan, and he played with a ton of heart, the official Washington Redskins team leader.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

I love Marcus Washington, but Taylor deserves it. I never seen people (WR) so intimidated of a second year person before. He's sick. It gags me to see he aint in the probowl. I think his extra efforts in three or four games put us over the top. I never told a man I love you before, but GOD I LOVE THIS GUY!

The spark that started the fire: Santana Moss, our offense was anemic until he lit it up

Offensive MVP: Clinton Portis, he surprised me with his team mentality this year

Defensive MVP: Marcus Washington, hard to pick just one guy here, our defense carried us to the playoffs

Russ Grimm award (best O-Lineman): Randy Thomas, once again, difficult to pick

Most Improved: Ade Jimoh, I didn't like the guy at first, but he really came through

Art Monk Award (the player who best exemplifies what it means to be a REDSKIN): Chris Cooley, a key player in the clutch with no ego, a true team player

Archived