Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riggo Super Bowl TD Anniversary

stwasm

Twenty-three years ago today (can you believe it?), the Washington Redskins trailed Miami 17-13 and had a fourth-and-1 on the Dolphins 43 as quarterback Joe Theismann barked out the signal: "Goal line, goal line, I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white!" Then he slapped the ball into the stomach of his indestructible, 33-year-old running back, and a few seconds later the Redskins' 40-year wait for an NFL championship was all but over. John Riggins, perhaps the league's most unconventional player, burst through the line, shook off a desperate grab by Dolphins cornerback Don McNeal and raced down the left sideline toward the end zone and everlasting Redskins glory. The play with 10:01 remaining in the fourth quarter put Washington ahead to stay in what ended as a 27-17 victory in Super Bowl XVII at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. It remains the most famous play of the Redskins' 79 seasons in the nation's capital.

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20060130-124613-4021r.htm

It definitely was my most memorable experience watching a DC sports team win a world championship. The first time I saw it happen was when the Bullets took the NBA title back in '78. I was excited when that happened, but the Redskins first Super Bowl victory, for some reason, was so much more special to me.

And we didn't stop singing HTTR until the following Sunday. ;)

You stopped singing? :(

That may have been the most important single play in Redskins history, certainly during the last 50 years. If we hadn't converted that 4th down, much less scored a TD on the play, that game may well have turned out differently. Not to say Gibbs' tenure would have been a failure or anything, but that season and that play marked turning points for this franchise. That we got an iconic Super Bowl moment out of it as well is just icing on the cake.

That play to me IS the single biggest play in REDSKINS HISTORY!!!!!!

I was 23 at that time and I remember that play like it was yesterday.

When Riggins scored that TD after the run, I had tears running down my face.

After we won, it was the greatest feeling I ever had in my life, including when I got married 7 months before that. :D

The single most memorable play in Redskins history for me, by my favorite football player of all time!

I was surrounded by Colts fans who were all rooting for the Fins, how sweet it was to shut them up!!!!

I do have something disheartening to say about that game though. I was offered a ticket to the game a couple of days prior, but my mother could not afford to buy me a plane ticket. When my friend Tony returned (his mother offered me the ticket) from the game he told me he was about 5 rows back in the end zone when Riggo broke the tackle and ran straight toward him. We were both 15 years old.

Oh what could have been :(.

Archived