Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greg Or Al??

Doodie987

greg williams was the top contender for head coaching job after Gibbs leaves.... but now with Al who will get it??...are they trying to tell something to greg? b/c if he doesnt get it and Al does... i dont think greg will stay?

any thoughts?

Greg Williams gets a $1 million bonus if he isn't the next head coach so I'd doubt seriously if Al would get it over him.

I dont think al came here to end up being a Head Coach.. Greg was alread promised a Head Coaching Job..I highly doubt they would go back on their word because they highered al .. And when greg williams becomes Head Coach maybe Greg Blache will become defensive coordinator

Not that I don't think GW is our future HC, but he was never promised the job by anyone.

I'm thinking that as long as Williams doesn't take a HC job elsewhere he'll be the next HC here. The Saunders hire is probably part for now, and part for the future. Williams will probably be less likely to leave if he knows that the offense isn't just going to fall apart when Gibbs leaves, which is highly unlikely with Saunders as OC. If Williams does leave, I would imagine that Saunders gets the HC spot and Blache becomes DC.

Gregg has seniority with this organization. I think it will go his way. Same kind of hydra coaching strategy. All of this is a little premature until we find out how Al does with this staff anyway. Here's to hoping there's a good coaching controversy.

I can think of 1 million reasons why Gregg Williams will be our next Head Coach, assuming he doesn't leave before Gibbs retire. Even then I can think of 2.5 million reasons he won't leave next off season.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

haha very true very true. Other than the money i'd have to say i'd rather the skins go with the youth of Greg williams. he could be a coach for a very long time and if Saunders was really itching to be a head coach that bad he would have done so instead of coming here.

haha very true very true. Other than the money i'd have to say i'd rather the skins go with the youth of Greg williams. he could be a coach for a very long time and if Saunders was really itching to be a head coach that bad he would have done so instead of coming here.

I agree, GW on the right side of 60 would leave us with a coach for the long term, cough Danny cough don't get any bright idea's, or at least not having to worry about if he is beginning to become burnt out and run down.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

GW will be the HC and AS will be his OC unless a promising HC job opens up for AS.

AS is 60 years old and was last a coach in the late 80's. Many teams passed him by and he has stated that he would rather do what he loves for a great organization and not be a HC then be a HC for the wrong organization (See: Raiders). Given the lack of interest in him, despite his incredible resume with so many openings this year, I think it is a safe bet that he will be around and take over once Gibbs & Co. retire while working under GW. Gibbs has already given him control, but his staff will likely retire with Gibbs seeing that they un-retired with Gibbs as well.

Just wait and see who's players perform better...

This can be a bit deceptive because Offense and Defense stats may be completely different than the true picture. For example, our offense this year was not rated dramatically lower than our defense, but they played a lot worse collectively down the stretch (last 3 games). I think a great HC has to have certain qualities of organization aside from just x's and o's. Most people will agree that Norv Turner is an accomplished Offensive Coordinator. He has been known to call very good games and keep defenses guessing. He is not very well organized, does not run a tight ship, and has a hard time evaluating coaching and player talent. These are skills that go beyond the chalk board.

Gibbs, on the other hand, is a master at organization and people skills. I believe that he has been grooming GW to take over once he is done by showing him how to run a program with class (not calling players out in public), as well as keeping focused, organized, and covering all the basis. Al Saunders is brand new here and hasn't even accomplished anything for the burgundy and gold. This thread is very premature until Saunders shows that he can accelerate our Offense the way he did with KC's.

Archived