Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Day We Became Redskins Fans...

desertfox59

Thanks for the vid Desert Fox. It brings back so many memories, I get kinda choked up when I see Riggo bust through that tackle. Your story about your father is what compelled me to tell the story about my uncle. I agree, I think your dad and my uncle would get along. Here's to the true football fans and the legacies that they create. :cheers:

I always cheer for the local team, and when I grew up, the Redskins were the local team. I was born too late for the Colts, and too early for the Ravens. My parents aren't from the area, so I didn't grow up knowing that Baltimore folks were "supposed" to hate the Redskins.

The first season I really followed football was 1990, so I guess you could say the day I became a Redskins fan on kickoff weekend, 1990. By the end of the season I knew enough to cheer against the Giants in the Super Bowl, and then of course next year the Redskins trotted out what is arguably the greatest team in Redskins history.

When the Ravens arrived I had a crisis of faith. Like I said, I always cheer for the home team, and now there was a new home team. It was a very confusing offseason. I remember arguing about whther the Ravens should have drafted Jonathan Ogden or Lawrence Phillips (I have to admit i thought they should have taken Phillips). But then kickoff weekend came, and the Ravens beat the Raiders while the Redskins lost to the Eagles. I realized later that I would have been happier if the Redskins had won and the Ravens had lost, and so that was basically that. So I suppose you could say my rebirth as a Redskins fan was that day.

While growing up my mom was a Redskins fan. She always told the three of us; my sister, myself and my brother: that was only on team in football worth watching. The Washington Redskins. Every year when mom went out and bought school cloths, each boy got at least one Redskins t-shirt, and we were expect to wear them every time the Skins played. Now the three of my mom kids are grown, and have families of our own,and mom is in the ground. My sister married a Redskins fan, I married a Redskins fan, and we have two children. My brother and his wife just had their first son on November 11 of 2005. He brought his son home wearing Burgendy and Gold. People can say what ever they want about the Redskins, but in my family the Redskins aren't just a team, they are a tradition. They are Sunday afternoons with our family watching the games. They are convercation around a dinner table, and that is the reason that I'm and always will be a Washington Redskins fan..... and a Fithy Eagle HATER!!! HAIL HAIL THE REDSKINS!!!!!

My whole family lived in North Carolina, so they were Redskins fans for years. My dad had a poster signed by Sonney. We moved to northern Va and lived about a half mile from Redskins park when it was in Oak Hill/herndon/Chantilly. Got to go to games at RFK and FedEx. When the panthers came around, it was like alot of Baltimore fans who cheered for the skins. My grandparents and uncles and what not all cheer for the Panthers. I follow them, But I still get all crazy about the Redskins!

Although I grew up in NJ....my uncle was a backup OL for the Skins in the 1960's. Therefore, my big brother grew up a Skins fan and I subsequently picked it up from him. I come from a serious football family- (an NFL assistant on one side and my dad is an NFL referee)- so football is in my blood. We all played and we are all avid fans- even the women in the family. My brother is an NCAA referee as well.

Well, I instantly became a much more rabid Skins fan than my brother and I learned all the history and EVERY player name and number from the 1970's through the early 80's. I cut my teeth with the '81-'82 team and have been a diehard ever since.... I had the opportunity to go to games in RFK multiple times over the years due to my father's position with the league and also attended a few games in Landover. I passed the Skins trait on to my cousin as kids- and we actually returned to D.C. this year for the Niners game- it was beyond great.

Growing up in Giants territory probably strengthened my resolve since the Giants fans did some horrible things to me as a kid in their stadium- especially the too horrible games in 1986. (beer poured on my head- kicked in the back by an old drunken lady- took my hat off my head and threw it on the field, etc. etc....I was only between 7-10 years old at the time!) I'll hate them forever for it.

Got a chance to watch the second Giants/Skins game this year with my cousin AND my brother on a huge TV at my sister's house in NJ. Just awesome!

I have vowed to go back at least once a year for a game and I attended the game in Seattle this year. Thank God for DirecTV! I watch the games every Sunday all by myself and I wouldn't want it any other way since I can't be at the stadium every Sunday.

Growing up in Giants territory probably strengthened my resolve since the Giants fans did some horrible things to me as a kid in their stadium- especially the too horrible games in 1986. (beer poured on my head- kicked in the back by an old drunken lady- took my hat off my head and threw it on the field' date=' etc. etc....I was only between 7-10 years old at the time!) I'll hate them forever for it.

[/quote']

That is just discusting....Why can't people treat other people with respect...it's a freaking football game...to spill bear on a 10 year old...Goddamn those people....I'm so sorry.:mad:

I became a fan, way back around 1972, at the age of 6. Growing up in NY, surrounded by Jets and Giants fan, it was not a fun time. I survived and kept the faith ever since. The reason I became a fan is kind of dumb, perhaps, but, it is my reason. We were getting ready for a camping trip, with the Royal Rangers, and we went to Modells Sporting goods. After we got the sleeping bags, canteens, flashlights, and other assorted gear, we went to get some warm clothes. Well, the only sweatshirt they had that was my size was a Redskins sweatshirt. Ever since that day, I have been a Redskins fan.

Born into it.

When I was a kid, Allen had just taken over, so I was 5-6. The over the Hill Gang. Sonny or Billy? Larry Brown. Jerry Smith. Len Hauss. The Dancing bear. Herb Mul-Key. Charlie Harraway. Pat Fischer. Mike Bass. Kenny Houston. Charlie Taylor. Chris Hanburger. Terry Hermmeling. On and on and on. Legends.

Me and my buddy's gave each other our phone numbers based on players. Diron Talbert, Kurt Knight, Kenny Houston, Manny Sistrunk.

The Washington Post did a full page of color art on each player one year. I had them all but two or three. Priceless. How many old coots remember THAT???

What a time.

It first started when they traded for Portis. I grew up a 49ers fan then started liking the Broncos when I moved to Colorado back in 1991. I moved out here in 2000 and liked watching the Skins, but still rooted for the Niners and Broncos. I knew I had become a fan this year when I rooted for the Skins when they played both the Broncos and the Niners. Arrington also helped pushing me over the edge by the way he handled himself on the John Thompson show earlier this year when he was having team issues.

That is just discusting....Why can't people treat other people with respect...it's a freaking football game...to spill bear on a 10 year old...Goddamn those people....I'm so sorry.:mad:

I could literally start a whole thread about some of the things those trashy Giants fans did to me in those days.... (maybe I will)

Granted, I would go to those games completely decked out in Skins gear and I would cheer my brains out- but I DID not deserve the treatment I received.

Not only did they pour beer on me- they danced around me in a circle and poured beer on my haed while I cried! The Giants had just beaten us 17-0 in 1986 to get into the Super Bowl and I was standing with my buddy by my dad's car waiting for him to come out from the stadium. They found me (remembered me from the first Skins/Giants game) and dragged me to their tailgate and doused me.

I haven't been back to Giants Stadium since. I'd love to see them try that now! I wonder how those ***** were feeling after we absolutely destroyed the Giants in game 2 this year!

I was 9 years old.It was January 14th 1973. Super Bowl VII . I went to a Super Bowl party with my Dad.I did not really have a Favorite Team at that Time,Just a Favorite player.At that Time I could not understand why my Dad would get so upset when I would brag that Roger Staubach was my favorite football player.I sent off for a book of the month club book,and picked the only one about a football player.It happened to be Roger the Dodger.The day of Super Bowl VII all the Fathers brought their sons,we stayed outside playing football all day.We did not understand the importance of the game.I kept running in asking my Dad who was winning.He was the only Redskin fan at this party.Everytime I ran in and asked who was winning, and he would say the Dolphins were,then I would ask if he was now pulling for the Dolphins.He told me he would pull for the Redskins no matter what,and one Day I would understand why.I was so proud of my Dad to stand in that room full of the other fathers,standing up for his team,even in defeat,that I told him on the ride home that the Redskins were now my Favorite team and always would be!I sold that Roger Staubach book at my Moms next garage sale!I am now 42 and The Redskins are a huge part of my Life!I have been collecting Redskins stuff since 73 it takes up a complete bedroom in my house.I live in South Carolina,and everybody here is now a Panther fan!YUCK! not me!I even have a Redskins tatoo! Redskins to the bone!!! MONK IN THE HALL 06!

i was born in to a family of eagles fans (boy how that sucked)...my mom originally from philly, so of course she like the eagles...some how my mother miraculously ended up in washington dc and and had me...so when she left philly her drive for football died...but she still like it...i didn't really play much attention to football when i was younger (instead i was playing with barbies how dumb??) ne way i do remember watching super bowl '91 and i must have been really into the game and my mother asked me "who r u rooting for", and i said "i dunno the team in da burgundy looks pretty good"...but i didn't really get into football until i was in 8th grade when i learned how the game worked and y the ran in to the pile instead of running around it...and from then on i have been DIEHARD, obsessive Redskin fan...this is my first year in college and the is nothing but redskins hater at my school...but we when made it to the playoffs i got him to sing the HAIL TO THE REDSKINS song and wear a dress (hes a ravens fan)...and now my mother knows more redkins players than she does eagles players (cuz i make her watch everything about the redskins)...but she tries to keep the rivalry alive whenever we play the eagels....but i was born a redskins fan....

My parents divorced when I was very young and my mom and I moved from the Boston area down to Arlington, VA. My mom did not watch football--but for some reason, I absolutely loved to watch it when it came on TV. I watched the game, learned all the rules and began explaining it to my mom at around the age of 5. I also would buy those mini football helmets that they had outside the supermarket for 25 cents. I would get one of these each time we went to the supermarket, then I would take them home and start lining the helmets up on the ground and pretending that they were players. I really liked each helmet because they were all so different. But--I guess because the skins were the local team, I just immediately fell in love with them.

My mom remarried in 1987 and my stepfather, who was not born in this country, happened to be a huge skins fans. One of my earliest memories is watching the 87 super bowl with him and my mom. I remember vividly that when Elway threw the TD in the first quarter to make it 10-0, my mom said--I hate Elway, and "this is over." Oh ye of little faith--I can my stepfather driving my stepbrothers and me into D.C. after the game to celebrate. Awesome experience.

I also remember the first game of the 91 season (against detroit) so clearly. I remember where I was sitting, what was going on in the room, etc. And I remember looking over at my stepfather at halftime and saying--we're going to the superbowl this year.

February 28,1957 the day I was born.My grandfather had tickets from the day they moved to DC.My father had them from the 50's moved from Griffith Stadium to DC Stadium.I got my first season tickets in1966 for my 9th birthday and had them until 1978 when I moved to Florida.But you know what when ever I get a cut I still bleed a burgundy color,imagine that :logo:

I could literally start a whole thread about some of the things those trashy Giants fans did to me in those days.... (maybe I will)

Granted' date=' I would go to those games completely decked out in Skins gear and I would cheer my brains out- but I DID not deserve the treatment I received.

Not only did they pour beer on me- they danced around me in a circle and poured beer on my haed while I cried! The Giants had just beaten us 17-0 in 1986 to get into the Super Bowl and I was standing with my buddy by my dad's car waiting for him to come out from the stadium. They found me (remembered me from the first Skins/Giants game) and dragged me to their tailgate and doused me.

I haven't been back to Giants Stadium since. I'd love to see them try that now! I wonder how those ***** were feeling after we absolutely destroyed the Giants in game 2 this year![/quote']

Wow dude ....Wow...to do that to a ten year old...where were the police?

I did a book report on Jack Kent Cooke that year and have been a Skins junky since.

Funny thing is I did the same thing because it was an easy A... I had a class where we had to read 5 books and do a report on them, I chose to do a report on this Washington Redskins book (forget the author but Monk was on the front) never read the book and got a A on the report.

• 6 months later...

Love to tell my story.

I live literally 15 minutes away from Giants stadium, New Jersey.

Surrounded by Gi ain't fans, cowgirl fans are like flies on sh*^, and philly was just down the turnpike, needless to say the low flying jets as well.

I was 8 years old, played only baseball, dad not a big sports fan, loved indians, hated being the cowboy.

Saw the Skins vs. the bears in 1980, loved the helmet and the FIGHT SONG. I'm 34 yrs old now and everyday of my life ,all year long I live REDSKINS Football!

I cried after almost every loss as a kid, still want to today. And I do, in the shower.

All I want is another CHAMPIONSHIP! And NOW more than ever do I need it!

HAIL TO OUR REDSKINS I LOVE THEM!

Well, my grandpa was a Jets fan, my dad was a Jets fan. Then my dad moved to Washington to go to college, and he kind of just jumped onto the redskins and is more a cheer for the local team. And I don't like that about ym dad. If we were to move he'd cheer for the local team. Ugh. But I have become way more passionate about football then him, so I will always Cheer the Burgandy and gold no matter where the hell I live. On my other side of the family, Mom's side. They are all Redskins fans. I talk with my grandma every week about the redskins. So other then my dad guiding me to the skins, The rest, I just became addicted to.

Archived