Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Day We Became Redskins Fans...

desertfox59

Good one desertfox59. Mine was Super Bowl XVII when my father was watching the game with a Dolphins fan. I asked who was going to win, and the Dolphins fan said Miami would blow the Redskins away. My father said the Skins, and as any good son would do, I asked my dad why he pulled for the Skins. He said, verbatim, "Those are our people, son." My grandmother was full blooded Cherokee and my dad was half, so naturally, that means that I have some indian blood as well. Riggins broke off that 42 yarder to get us the ring and I've been a die hard since. So for me, when I say that it's in my blood, I mean it in more ways than one.

I am native american also...and yes these Redskins are our poeple....what a great game that was...Tarhog just put a thread up that has that run by Riggo in the SB vs. Miami....oh it is sweet....!

Well,here is my story of becoming a skins fan and it started at a early age.I was a young kid and it had to be around 1983. I have two older brothers.One of them was a die hard skins fan and I can remember a shirt that he had with the "posse" jumping up and giving high fives out of Rfk stadium!!!I thought it was the cooliest thing, I had ever put my eyes on!!!!I started asking about them and the next thing, I knew he had me watching the skins game with him!!!I fell in love with the skins and I have never stopped!!!!I can't remember the first super bowl win but let me tell you, the other two I can in great detail!!!After Joe Gibbs left and the misery set in of years of defeat,I can say I'm enjoying every minute of today!!!We are going to kick some serious butt in 2006!!!

Well,here is my story of becoming a skins fan and it started at a early age.I was a young kid and it had to be around 1983. I have two older brothers.One of them was a die hard skins fan and I can remember a shirt that he had with the "posse" jumping up and giving high fives out of Rfk stadium!!!I thought it was the cooliest thing, I had ever put my eyes on!!!!I started asking about them and the next thing, I knew he had me watching the skins game with him!!!I fell in love with the skins and I have never stopped!!!!I can't remember the first super bowl win but let me tell you, the other two I can in great detail!!!After Joe Gibbs left and the misery set in of years of defeat,I can say I'm enjoying every minute of today!!!We are going to kick some serious butt in 2006!!!

I envy you....never had a brother...till I got married...but he's a Bears fan :doh:

3rd generation Skins fan, here. The baby shower was full of Redskins stuff, and I was born the day we beat the Cowboys 26-3 in the NFC championship. (12/31/72 so you don't have to strain your brains on that one).

When I was dating, every girl I brought to meet the family had to pass the test, but somehow my wife snuck through... she was a Cowboys fan when we met.

She's since converted though. :)

Its okay man my wife is on the other side too... Needless to say this was a great season for some nah nah na boo boo kind of stuff. Just a little payback to'em

3rd generation Skins fan, here. The baby shower was full of Redskins stuff, and I was born the day we beat the Cowboys 26-3 in the NFC championship. (12/31/72 so you don't have to strain your brains on that one).

When I was dating, every girl I brought to meet the family had to pass the test, but somehow my wife snuck through... she was a Cowboys fan when we met.

She's since converted though. :)

Its okay man my wife is on the other side too... Needless to say this was a great season for some nah nah na boo boo kind of stuff. Just a little payback to'em

My mom was a cowboys fan....:doh:

It was great growing up....the Skins owned the Girls in the 80's and by the time the girls got good in the Ninties ....I was in college so I didn't have to hear about it from her......:laugh:

I'm originally from the Tampa, FL area, but my parents are from Maryland just outside Washington (although neither of them are very interested in sports). My grandma has been a huge Redskins fan (actually my grandfather was too, but he died when I was 6) since the 40s. I started watching games with her in 1991, when I was in 5th grade, and I've been hooked ever since. I got my first Redskins shirt for Christmas the following year, and in 7th grade I started wearing it the day after they played every game, to show my loyalty at school (I still continue that tradition at work now). Of course that was the year they were 3-13, and it was especially miserable after they lost to the then-awful Bucs. I can certainly appreciate our success now! When I went to FL for the holidays, my grandma (who is now 82) and I went to the Beef o' Brady's to watch the game against the Giants on Christmas Eve, since they were of course showing the Bucs game on TV there. That was the first game I'd been able to watch with my grandma in a long time, and it was especially fun watching the Giants fans a couple of tables over, who left before the end of the game!

No family tradition...I was just born a Skins. All I know is that I have always been a Redskins fan. I must have seen them on TV as a toddler in Florida, but I loved football then and I loved the Redskins. Then, I moved to Fredricksburg VA when I was 4 and that was all she wrote (my Dad was a Fed and we moved away a few years later).

Still remember fondly the Skins highlights the local CBS? affiliate showed of every week's game as they were set to Charlie Daniels' song (Devil went down to Georgia)...do I have that right Skins locals?? Any one else remember that, do they still do it?

my dad was listening to the radio before the black outs were lifted and i would come in and sit with him and listen.i remeber going to a resturaunt in vienna and having to go to the bathroom and billy k and ron mcdole and diron talbort where there eating and drinking.and they came in the same time i was there and i remember thinking they where giants.

When I was very young, I was actually a Dolphins fan because my uncle was a Dolphin's fan and I looked up to him as my hero. I wanted to do everything just like him, and liking the Dolphins was part of that.

One day in 1981, he had a little talk with me. He told me that just because I idolized him didn't mean I had to be exactly like him. He said I had to find my own identity. He then showed me a big huge poster he had in his room with the helmets of all 28 teams that there were at the time. He told me to look at it, and if I was still a Dolphins fan after that it was OK, but if I wanted to I could change my team right there. He also said that I could only choose one team, and then that had to be my team for life. No more changing, and no "second favorite" teams.

I looked at that poster and for some reason the Redskins helmet was very appealling. I had been told that our family had some Native American heritage, and the Indian head with the feathers caused me to well up with pride inside. I told him that the Washington Redskins was my new favorite team.

As fate would have it, the very next season the Redskins and the Dolphins faced each other in the Super Bowl. My uncle and I made a bet of 10 dollars, which was a significant amount of money for a seven year old, especially back in 1982. We watched the game together while he told me about how the Dolphins finished their perfect season by beating the Redskins in Super Bowl VII. I just knew the Redskins would avenge that loss this time.

As we all know, the 'Skins won that game. Riggins, Theisman, Monk...the names and images from that game flow back to me now like it just happened yesterday and I still feel the pride now that I felt back then. My uncle paid up as he had promised. I have been a devoted Redskins fan ever since.

By the way, I really love all of these stories. It just goes to show that the Redskins' fans are a diverse group from all walks of life and from all over the country. Here's hoping for a fourth Lombardi Trophy in our near future. HTTR!

I'm lucky. It's always been Redskins in the family. My grandfather had season tickets to old Griffith Stadium and told me the story about the Skins/Eagles game December 7, 1941. He said during the game they kept going over the P.A. system, "Admiral such-and-such report to....General such-and-such report to...." and he said they were all looking at each other wondering what was going on. Because obviously SOMETHING was going on! Then after the game was over there were newsboys outside of Griffith stadium selling papers yelling about how the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor...and everyone was looking at each other saying, "where the Hell is Pearl Harbor?" :laugh: One of the favorite stories of my life. It was just cool to get perspective from someone in town at that time.

We would be at my grandparent's house watching a game, and every time the Skins would score, especially against Dallas, my dad would go out on their back porch, open the back door, and let out this amazing, Rebel Yellish howl..."WOOOOO-HOOOOOOOO!"

So the Skins have been in my family's blood for over 65 years. And I'm honored to carry on the tradition! Should I ever decide to have offspring, hopefully I can pass it along just as well. It's a beautiful thing to be a 3rd generation diehard.

HTTR! :cheers:

many of you were born into it...others converted...some like me made a decision early to become a fan in spite of family leanings...Lets share our stories shall we???

Here's mine:

It was the summer of 1982...upon learning that I no longer wanted to attend church, My Father said, "That's fine boy....but that means your gonna have ta watch Football with me." I guess to my Dad, who was a former college player and coach, if I didn't want to learn morality from church, then I was going to learn it from watching and playing Football.

The first lesson that he taught me was no bandwagon jumping. He said, "Boy, you can have one team. One. You have to stick to that team for the rest of your life. You can't change. There's no fair-weather-fans in this house. We watch Bears Football in this house. My Team's the Bears. Who's yours?" I guess he want me to be a bears fan, but being 8 years old and not really caring about football, I asked him, "Well, what do the Bears helmets look like?"

The only other game I'd watched was a Colts preseason game and I thought their Helmets sucked..."It's just a stupid U...!" I said. When I looked at the Bears helmets and they were just a stupid U turned sideways, I decided not to become a Bears fan (much to my Fathers Disappointment).

Then I saw a picture of the Redskins helmets...and it was a badassed Indian with two sets of feathers....there were two feathers!!!..one on the Indian and one on the circle that was around the Indian!...yes! that's the team for me...!

When I told this to my Dad he laughed and told me his second lesson, "Boy, it's the man inside the helmet that makes a good team not the fancy paint on the side." But I was adamant, "No dad, you'll see, it is the Helmet, these Indians will win the Super Bowl this year, you just wait and see."

Sure enough they won the super bowl. I got a Redskins helmet for Christmas that year.

It was only years later, when I was playing the game myself, that I recognized the value of my dad's second lesson. those Redskins players really were great men inside the helmet. Now that my dad has passed, I can look back on those time's and fondly at our rivalries and remember the many lessons he taught me about football and life. And I'll never forget the day I became a Redskins Fan.

:helmet:

'82?????

Tisk tisk.........J/K

1973 Super Bowl vs Miami.

We were the uderdogs.

I liked underdogs and was currently a Baltimore Colts fan. (Silly me)

We lost 14-7 and I have been hooked every since.

Call me crazy!

Or not.

Hail!:point2sky

seanT.jpg

Although I'm a lifelong Southern California resident, I have been a Redskins fan pretty much all my life.

I guess you could say I was born into it. I acquired my love of football from my dad, who rooted for the then-Los Angeles Rams when he was growing up. My dad, however, also liked the Redskins during the days of Sonny Jurgensen, Charley Taylor and Bobby Mitchell.

When I was a little boy, my dad bought me a few Redskins shirts and a beany. (I used to wear that burgundy beany all the time!) I first started wearing my Redskins gear because I thought the logo and colors were cool. I even had jerseys of Joe Theismann, John Riggins and Mike Thomas! (The jerseys I'm referring to are the ones that displayed the team name and the number on the front (i.e. Redskins-7). Department stores like JCPenney's were selling them in the late 70s/early 80s.)

The first Redskins season I could sort of remember is 1979. As a 7-year old, I became a fan of such players as Theismann, Riggins, Ken Houston, Lemar Parrish and Dave Butz. I have been a Redskins fan ever since.

I could still remember crying my eyes out after the Redskins lost that tough season finale against Dallas. But three years later, I was feeling sky high after seeing that great NFC Championship win over the Cowboys and the Super Bowl XVII triumph! Those two games bring back great memories!

Hail to the Redskins!!

When I was very young, I was actually a Dolphins fan because my uncle was a Dolphin's fan and I looked up to him as my hero. I wanted to do everything just like him, and liking the Dolphins was part of that.

One day in 1981, he had a little talk with me. He told me that just because I idolized him didn't mean I had to be exactly like him. He said I had to find my own identity. He then showed me a big huge poster he had in his room with the helmets of all 28 teams that there were at the time. He told me to look at it, and if I was still a Dolphins fan after that it was OK, but if I wanted to I could change my team right there. He also said that I could only choose one team, and then that had to be my team for life. No more changing, and no "second favorite" teams.

I looked at that poster and for some reason the Redskins helmet was very appealling. I had been told that our family had some Native American heritage, and the Indian head with the feathers caused me to well up with pride inside. I told him that the Washington Redskins was my new favorite team.

As fate would have it, the very next season the Redskins and the Dolphins faced each other in the Super Bowl. My uncle and I made a bet of 10 dollars, which was a significant amount of money for a seven year old, especially back in 1982. We watched the game together while he told me about how the Dolphins finished their perfect season by beating the Redskins in Super Bowl VII. I just knew the Redskins would avenge that loss this time.

As we all know, the 'Skins won that game. Riggins, Theisman, Monk...the names and images from that game flow back to me now like it just happened yesterday and I still feel the pride now that I felt back then. My uncle paid up as he had promised. I have been a devoted Redskins fan ever since.

By the way, I really love all of these stories. It just goes to show that the Redskins' fans are a diverse group from all walks of life and from all over the country. Here's hoping for a fourth Lombardi Trophy in our near future. HTTR!

That is such an awsome story....my dad and your uncle would have probably had a great time together....check out this link....and let it all come back....

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/messageboards/History/13.mpg

I was born into it. My parents got season tickets before I was born, and my dad traveled all week long. My mother often said "my mother raised no dummy", so just to be with my dad she went to the games.

My parents would go to the games and bring one of those bootabags for scotch and drink everytime the Redskins scored. In those days it wasn't so much. One game I remember them telling me that the Redskins scored so much they had drunk everything up and was so drunk they missed the last bus taking them home and had to walk to downtown DC. Can you imagine doing that today?

In 68 we moved to New Jersey and my parents traveled down to every home game on the train. My first game was a snowy Vikings game where the Redskins won in every stat but lost the game. I couldn't figure that one out for a long time.

In 71 we moved to California and I have lived on the west coast since. I still have my season tickets, in fact I would sell my husband and kids for the money before I would give up my tickets.

People don't understand, unless you are another Redskin fan, what it means to love them and support them to the degree that I do. They think I am nuts and stupid for the things I have to do to get coverage or go out of my way to see them.

I live in Seattle now and I am just loving the Super Bowl this year - NOT!!!!

I'm sure you all can relate when I say I live and breathe this team, and the emotional impact on me when Joe Gibbs came back just can't be put into words.

One story and sorry this is so long. About 10 years ago my daughter played on a soccer team and this mom knowing I was a redskins fan came and started the conversation off by they lived in VA (I think that's where it was), anyways, everyday she would go to 7 eleven and get a cup of coffee and there was this guy who would be there at the same time. This went on for many weeks and then months, etc. She learned his name one day and everyday she would go and get coffee and say hi Joe. Stupid me, isn't catching on, so she kept on going. And then one day she said she would with her husband and she went to go get her coffee and said Hi Joe, and they got back in the car. Her husband asked her how she knew this guy, she told him, and he asked her if she knew who he was. No - he says that's Joe Gibbs of the Redskins. She says, Redskins who?

Now I am on the ground kissess and touching her. I finally had my dream come true when I met him on Thursday night when the team arrived and Saturday when the team was leaving for the game. What a presence, what a man and oh how lucky we are to have him back.

I believe in this team no matter what as I am sure the rest of you do and I can't explain how proud I am to say I am a Washington Redskins fan. We are a special bunch.

As a kid I was a Redskins fan my first year watching football in 1972-3. This was the year we lost to the Dolphins 14-7 in Super Bowl VII. However a couple games into the season we lost to the St. Louis Cardinals and I said right their that I am not going to route for a team that loses to the Cardinals.

From that moment on I was an Oakland Raider fan. I was a rebel at a very young age and was an Oakland Raider fan from 1973-04 until 1979-80.

At this time the Raider's had changed so much that I thought it was a good time to start routing for the home team again. My favorite QB of all time is Ken Stabler. As a child I spoke to him on the telephone before they were going to play the Baltimore Colts in the double overtime victory in 1977-78 season. This was the Colts last game in Baltimore as I had to listen to this game on the radio because it didn't sell out.

Ever since I have been a Skins fan through the good and the bad. This is my history as a football and Redskins fan!

Archived