Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Loy Dobbs on now about auto industry

heyholetsgogrant

wow wow just wow...Most about the unfair trade, the USA is getting punched in the face with the trade agreements...The chinese are shipping thier news cars here next year at a 2% Tariff, while our cars sold over there are taxed 25% wtf???Not to mention Korea dosent allow us to seel our cars their, yet they sell their cars here? WTF..

-Grant

Penalizing americans isn't the answer. If we have a problem with china's policies we can stop selling them our cars. Why should we not want to buy thier stuff? If it's cheaper and better, then we win by getting thier cars. Heck all we give them in exchange is pieces of paper with our presidents on them.

More importantly, Lou Dobbs is an idiot. As brought up earlier in this thread if the choice was between american and chinese cars, we'd be lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills in detroit. The competition is with japan, and we have way too much control over that right now from our government. Lexus dealers don't have to haggle over thier prices because the fact is there are more people who want lexuses in this country than there are lexuses. We limit thier numbers and that pushes up prices.

Some more interesting things to think about. This trade reminds me a lot of cotton prices in new england before the civil war. The point was that if you trace who made the most money off of slavery it was northerners who got to pay for cheaper goods. The plantation owners were often barely making enough to get by, obviously better off than the slaves, but still poor in the sense that other than thier land they didn't have much.

The people making money off the cheap asian cars aren't the asians, it's the americans. The people hurt by the trade aren't americans, they are the poor workers who are being exploited over in asia.

Even with that I am no free trade apologist. Tarriffs are the worst idea.

I think one of the underlying problems is the cost of living is so cheap in foreign countries. We need to make it so land and housing is cheaper in America... but people that own land now would hate that to death.

If you think about your expenses... I spend at least 5X as much per month on housing as I do on food.

That's why I don't understand why companies still do business in large metropolitan areas. I guess that's why we hear ads on the radio for moving businesses to Nevada.

I came to Southern California 'cause that's where my job is... but after getting married, my family is putting roots down. I'm close to my wives' family members... so now I'm here because of extended family.

True, it is worth every penny though... sunny and 70 every day...

I think one of the underlying problems is the cost of living is so cheap in foreign countries. We need to make it so land and housing is cheaper in America... but people that own land now would hate that to death.

If you think about your expenses... I spend at least 5X as much per month on housing as I do on food.

If you don't like it, move to India and you can get a house for $40 a month.

It's all supply and demand, you can spend what ever you want on a house, it is your choice, nobody said you have to live where housing is 5X the cost of sustance, that is your choice.

So it's okay to work on cutting health care costs and other stuff?

But it's not okay to cut what is probably the #1 budget expense of all households?

So the next people who talk about the rise of health care, I'll just say... "It's your choice to get an expensive plan, you can choose whatever type of plan you want to." Or for people who don't have health care. "You chose to be poor... to bad... suck it."

I understand the concept of supply and demand...

I think most people would agree that health care is different. Sure it's a value judgement, and it's not an objective distinction, but I feel that living in LA is a luxury. I think that access to medicine so that you don't have to live in pain should be a right. Now, that doesn't neccesarily mean I'm for nationalized health care, so I hope you don't interpret it that way, I'm not really sure what my position is on health care, because it's a complicated system. But I do feel confident in saying that health care is different enough from housing.

That being said, when we're talking about the actual poor, most people who support defraying costs of health care support wellfare as well, so they are more than happy to defray the cost of housing.

We can make it so our land and homes are cheaer rather simply.

as soon as the prices of land and homes are more than we are willing to pay.

If you don't like it, move to India and you can get a house for $40 a month.

It's all supply and demand, you can spend what ever you want on a house, it is your choice, nobody said you have to live where housing is 5X the cost of sustance, that is your choice.

OMG! I agree with you!!!

(I think I just puked in my mouth)

Kidding! How are ya Cho?

There is good news. Despite woeful news from american auto makers, we are still seeing a surging dow. Americans are not good at making cars right now. Maybe we will be better in the future, but right now, we need to let them die a little. Some creative destruction may be just what the doctor ordered. You can see that american car companies are trying to move upmarket with more stylish designs by chrysler, and with fords mustang success we are seeing the re-emergence of the muscle car. There are niches where foreign companies cannot compete, and we should be focusing on those.

Anyway, I got off topic, but my point was that our industrial base is doing fine even without GM and ford. Our economy will not fall apart while these companies take some time to redisign themselves and hopefully turn themselves profitable again.

wow wow just wow...Most about the unfair trade, the USA is getting punched in the face with the trade agreements...The chinese are shipping thier news cars here next year at a 2% Tariff, while our cars sold over there are taxed 25% wtf???Not to mention Korea dosent allow us to seel our cars their, yet they sell their cars here? WTF..
Lou along with other industry anaylist mentioned the US has done nothing about it...The more and more I look deep in this, its not about unions, high pay, health care, or losing money...It really the unfair trade..and then the Auto Industry uses it as an excuse to fire all its workers..

Do you really think you could make a car in the US at UAW labour rates and then ship it to China, sell it in a competitive market and still make money even without import duties? Ford and GM don't, they make cars IN China to sell to the Chinese.

The import duties only affect high end European cars (Mercedes, BMW etc), there isn't much demand in China for high margin US vehicles like SUVs and trucks. Fuel efficiency is very important to Chinese consumers. Even BMW jas plants in China now to satisfy local demand.

By the way, almost all the indeigenous Chinese producers are tied up with European/US/Japanese producers at the moment. They do not yet have the capacity to design their own vehicles. That will change in then next 10 years. At which point the rest of the industry will need to watch out.

Penalizing americans isn't the answer. If we have a problem with china's policies we can stop selling them our cars. Why should we not want to buy thier stuff? If it's cheaper and better, then we win by getting thier cars. Heck all we give them in exchange is pieces of paper with our presidents on them.

More importantly, Lou Dobbs is an idiot. .

I whole hardedly agree that this guy is a joke. Everytime I flip past his show I'm thinking to myself, "this show shoulb be titled 'Lou Dobbs the Protectionist." The US has exactly zero competitive advantages to leverage when posterting for the global manufacturing market. Someone mentioned that our manufacturing economy will be okay w/o GM and Ford and I find that hard to believe. Someone also said that some forms of health care should be a right and not a privilage but not exactly a reason for national health care.

We live in a country where our standards of living far outweigh our levels of production. We live waaaay above our means and use words like, "efficiency" and "cost effective" like it's a pipe dream. No one believes in conservation, fuel efficiencies or anything. Just dream, build, produce, make money and die. Than move on to the next idea (i.e. land, buildings, cities, etc.) We are our own worst enemies. The Chinese don't have to do anything but watch us fail because Japan and our other strategic partners will not lend this country money forever.

We can turn it all around by being smarter and more effective in communicating to massively consuming Americans that we have to change our lifestyle's and habits. Congress and the executive branch can do their part by finally rejecting a few spending bills to get our budget back in line and converting those funds to research and investments that will put us back on track as the world's leading producer of some great industry (probably not manufacturing. That industry is in the past.)

Archived