Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Skins Salary Cap according to Jaguars.com

neongel

Given that the NFLPA has repeatedly said that they will NEVER agree to a salary cap again if this one expires, I think it is fair to believe that if the CBA isn't extended by 3/1, when it is extended there very well may not be a salary cap.

Honestly even if we are in cap hell next year and there is no cap in 07' and on, I will take an 8-8 year if it comes down to it. Can you imagine what Danny would do if there was no cap?

where did I say restructure????? :nono::rolleyes:

Bubba, so what is your suggestion? That article is written under the premise that the CBA gets extended. The only option if it doesn't is the outright release of players. Let's see what Pocono had to say on the article last time it was posted as the savier for the 06 season:

Interesting article. Let's make a few changes and see if it proves its premise. First that 113M reflects 46 players. Let's add 5 to bring it up to 51 at a salary that applies to the vets Gibbs loves to add. I mean most cap experts would expect the Skins to have a full roster by 3/1...right? So let's start with 115M and let's use the cap number Boomer E announced during a pregame show of 92M. I mean as long as Snyder has cash it doesn't make any difference. So they have to trim 23M by 3/1.

Let's assume the 30% rule doesn't exist and every team can guarantee as much 06 salary as they wish and apply it in uncapped years so we'll accept for the sake of argument that they can save 13M by turning roster bonuses and salary into signing bonuses.

The cap experts say they can save 8.2M by cutting 5 players but those spots will be filled on the roster by the Albrights and Koslowskis of the world so that reduces the savings to 6M. There's Ramsey but in the article these cap experts say trading begins 3/3 so we can't really use him to get under by 3/1. So they're still 4M short even if the 30% rule doesn't apply to the Skins so the premise of the article isn't proven bt the assertions in the article unless you accept they will only have 41 players under contract come 3/1.

I don't know how much black and white you can get.

Here was a post by me:

Redskins Have Options Despite Arrington's Salary

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, January 19, 2006; Page E01

The Washington Redskins do not have to renegotiate the contract of LaVar Arrington to meet the NFL salary cap and could get rid of the linebacker while still being able to re-sign their own free agents and add to the roster, according to two experts who have reviewed the team's 2006 payroll.

The Redskins face a $12 million salary cap hit if Arrington is traded or released. He is due a $6.5 million roster bonus by July 15, but that can be converted into a signing bonus prorated over four years to save the team approximately $5 million in cap space in 2006, according to the experts.

But that space is not critical to the Redskins reaching Coach Joe Gibbs's stated goal of keeping the nucleus of the roster together and perhaps adding a key player or two, according to the experts who asked not to be identified because commenting on the Redskins' cap situation could harm their future relationship with the team.

"This isn't a salary cap issue for them," said one of the experts. "They can still get under the cap with that $12 million hit, and not have to really cut anybody they wouldn't want to lose, anyway. This is not a cap issue at all; this is an issue of cash. Does [owner] Dan Snyder really want to give this player a check for $6.5 million? That's what this is all about."

Gibbs was noncommittal about Arrington's future on Monday, but Arrington has been speaking with owner Daniel Snyder recently, team sources said. He is amenable to altering his contract to remain in Washington despite two seasons in which he clashed with the team over treatment of his injuries, his contract and his playing time.

"Right now, I'm a Redskin until I'm told otherwise," he said this week.

The Redskins, like many teams, are over the projected 2006 salary cap of $95 million. Washington has about $113 million committed in players' salaries and bonuses, league sources said, and must be in compliance with the payroll ceiling by March 1. [so our starting point is $113M.]

The two sources said Washington could meet its obligation with or without restructuring Arrington's contract by trading or releasing other players, or reworking other contracts.

By cutting safety Matt Bowen and offensive lineman Cory Raymer, who played sparingly last season; cornerback Walt Harris, who lost his starting job to rookie Carlos Rogers; and place kicker John Hall, who was injured for large parts of the past two seasons, sources said the Redskins could save $6.5 million in 2006 cap space. [$113M - 6.5M = $106.5M] Defensive tackle Brandon Noble, coming off career-threatening injuries, could retire or, if not, it is unlikely the team would keep him at his $1.7 million base salary. [$106.5M - 1.7M = $104.8M] Trading backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey, as expected, would trim another $1.7 million. [$104.8M - 1.7M = $103.1M]

Getting quarterback Mark Brunell and tackle Jon Jansen to agree to restructure their $4 million base salaries by converting the money to bonuses that can be spread out over several years against the cap would trim another $5 million. [$103.1M - 5M = $98.1M] Brunell adjusted his salary last year and Jansen has said he would be open to exploring the idea. Cornerback Shawn Springs, running back Clinton Portis, linebacker Marcus Washington and defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin are among the players who, like Arrington, have large bonuses due in 2006. By restructuring the bonuses, and prorating them, Washington could save about $8 million more under the cap. [$98.1M - $8M = $90.1M]

All of those moves in total would get the team under $90 million, [NOPE! $90.1 is not under $90M] which would allow them to re-sign key free agent safety Ryan Clark, tight end Robert Royal, running back Rock Cartwright and long snapper Ethan Albright, and leave some room for signing other players. While it might not be enough to land a top-tier free agent such as Indianapolis wide receiver Reggie Wayne, the Redskins would still have other options to create more salary cap space, and, should they keep Arrington at a $7 million cap figure, the opportunity to chase a big-name free agent would increase.

Arrington has a base salary of $545,000. Should the Redskins elect to keep Arrington, there are provisions in his contract that would allow them to alter the deal and prorate the $6.5 million bonus over four years. This would lower his 2006 salary cap amount to $7 million.

Either trading or cutting Arrington would result in him counting $12 million on the team's 2006 cap under the current collective bargaining agreement, although if an extension to the CBA is reached before Arrington's bonus comes due, the Redskins could cut him after June 1 and take a $5 million salary cap hit in 2006 and a $7 million hit in 2007.

No trades become official until March 3, which is also the start of free agency, and two general managers said they believed the Redskins would have difficulty getting more than a mid-round pick for Arrington.

"There's still a market for him," said one AFC general manager who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "But there's also a feeling that they'll eventually end up releasing him, so it's hard to get value for the player."

Right off the top, his numbers have been proven wrong. If this article WASN'T saying the Skins would be fine, the whole piece would be discounted by now for having a factual error and would never be talked about again. But let's ignore the fact his math was off. So basically, according to La Canfora's numbers if everyone plays along with the Redskins, then they can get their team salary down to $90.1M, which would leave them only $4.9M to fill the vacant spots on their roster and sign rookies. That's not a lot of money. It certainly doesn't put the Redskins' salary cap issues to rest.

Here are some additional problems with La Canfora's analysis:

1. If the CBA is not extended, many of the moves he discusses will be barred by the 30% rule.

2. Reports vary on the 2006 salary cap. Some reports do have it at $95M. Other reports, however, have it as low as $92M. La Canfora chose to use the highest estimate. If its instead the lowest estimate, then his moves would only provide the Redskins with $1.9M for signing rookies and filling out their roster.....by my count, 9 players.

Yep, you guys are right. I don't see why I don't take La Canfora's word when his own numbers are mathmatically incorrect and he STILL hasn't accounted for ANY course of action if the CBA isn't extended by 3/1

Haha, oh man. I'm just sittin here eatin some food and I read that...made me laugh out loud and almost drop my food. btw, that is some grade-A analysis from Jaguars.com.

Me too. Why look to the outside for information when you get all your information "unfiltered". :laugh:

Any recent articles coming your way about what potential problems the Skins might face if the CBA isn't extended?

Someone hook me up with Dan S. I volunteer my services to write such an article to ensure my friends on this site know all the information, unfiltered. :cool:

Bubba, so what is your suggestion? That article is written under the premise that the CBA gets extended. The only option if it doesn't is the outright release of players. Let's see what Pocono had to say on the article last time it was posted as the savier for the 06 season:

I don't know how much black and white you can get.

Numbnuts,

I though what Bubba posted was pretty black and white. Doesn't this refer to releasing players??:

By cutting safety Matt Bowen and offensive lineman Cory Raymer, who played sparingly last season; cornerback Walt Harris, who lost his starting job to rookie Carlos Rogers; and place kicker John Hall, who was injured for large parts of the past two seasons, sources said the Redskins could save $6.5 million in 2006 cap space. Defensive tackle Brandon Noble, coming off career-threatening injuries, could retire or, if not, it is unlikely the team would keep him at his $1.7 million base salary. Trading backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey, as expected, would trim another $1.7 million.

Me too. Why look to the outside for information when you get all your information "unfiltered". :laugh:

Any recent articles coming your way about what potential problems the Skins might face if the CBA isn't extended?

Someone hook me up with Dan S. I volunteer my services to write such an article to ensure my friends on this site know all the information, unfiltered. :cool:

Just a real quick question about your 30 percent rule. What happens when a contract is in place where the player is making 12 million and then the next year hes making 6 million? Isn't that already 50 percent under? So isn't that already not in accordance with your 30 percent rule? Correct me if I am wrong, because I just want to understand what your saying.

Here is an example of how the restructuring can work.

Player A is set to earn: 2006:4m 2007:5m 2008:6m 2009:7m in base salaries.

The cap hit is set to be 4m in 06'

Player A restructures his base salaries to be: 06' 700k 07' 910k 08' 1.183m 09'1.538m. This complies w/ the 30% rule for base salaries.

Player A is paid a bonus in 06' of 3m(100% of 06' lost salary) + 3.68m(90% of 07' salary lost. The reduction is due to getting money 2 years in advance) A total of 6.68m. That is prorated over 4 years. 6.68/4=1.67.

the cap hit for 06' would drop from 4m to 2.37m. The cap hit in 07' would drop from 5m to 2.58m.

Player A would then get a roster bonus added to his contract in 08' to cover lost money in 08' and 09'. At that point the team could cut player A and take the two years left on the prorated bonus from 06' as an immediate cap hit, or pay the player the bonus, or extend the deal. This would be based on the expectation that there will be a new CBA by 08'.

The only problem with this scenario is that the team would have to outlay alot of bonus money in 06'. This would not be a problem for the skins' as they have shown in the past. Tell me why this cannot work.

Why would a player agree to cut 5m and 6m salaries in 07 and 08 just to make what they should be making anyway in 06? With all the teams with tons of cap room, no agent would allow a player to go from 5m to 800k just to help out the Skins.

Seriously, you should just say "All players play for free because that will help out the Skins" as that is just as plausable a reply.

Is it because the player would trust Danny to make it right a year from now? I think they'd ask LA what he thought of Danny's promises first.

I wish my wife liked football....:notworthy you my dear are a diamond in the rough....If you have a husband God bless him...if you are single.... hot damn some guy is in for a treat. ;)

Why thank you. :silly::silly: I try to keep up so when and if I get married we can watch the games and I will know what I am talking about. :x

What about Taylor Jacobs?

Any list of players to be cut should begin and end with Taylor Jacobs. Yes, he doesn't make much but he makes something! There are bad players on this team, who may not be high salaried but still eat up some cap.

List of players to be released never include the "easy" cuts, like Taylor Jacobs.

With all the teams with tons of cap room, no agent would allow a player to go from 5m to 800k just to help out the Skins.

Westy,

With the case of Brunell, do you honestly think other teams will be offering big $'s?

If faced with the situation of either reducing your base salary and recouping it through bonuses OR being cut (and losing that big salary) and then faced with the probability of no team signing you for more than a little over league minimum - what option do you think a player like Brunell would take?

They are fine with the cap...they are only about 13 millioin over. def not as bad as 30 million like one team. They can get under the cap. They really are not in as much cap trouble as other teams wish they were.

How do you figure 13m? Published reports show you are starting anywhere from 18m to 21m over, depending on what the hard cap number is.

Westy,

With the case of Brunell, do you honestly think other teams will be offering big $'s?

If faced with the situation of either reducing your base salary and recouping it through bonuses OR being cut (and losing that big salary) and then faced with the probability of no team signing you for more than a little over league minimum - what option do you think a player like Brunell would take?

It's all about leverege. Brunell is a nice god fearing man, but I'm sure his agent, if he is worth his salt, will tell him to tell the Skins to pound sand. He led the Skins to their best year in ages and a playoff win. Behind him is a rookie, for all intents and purposes, and Ramsey.

The Skins need Brunell in 06 about as much as he needs them.

Westy,

That is fine in the case of players like Brunell, what about Portis??? Why would he agree to take a cut. :rolleyes: One more thing, the money that is reduced, would it turn into guaranteed money???

Guys, it doesn't really matter. It will be the same as every year around here. Free agency will start in March, the Skins will go and sign some players and the messageboards of the other NFC East's teams will all have a common thread on them........

How'd they do that??

Happens EVERY year.

Westy,

If Brunell agent does that - he's a moron. Why?

Look at Brunell's base salary left on his contract:

2006 4000000.00

2007 5200000.00

2008 6400000.00

2009 7600000.00

2010 8800000.00

Think he will see any of that $22.8 million in the last 3 years? I would think a player such as Brunell would jump at any opportunity to lock up guarenteed $'s. Especially since there are 2 heirs to his job - should he get injured or regress.

Guys, it doesn't really matter. It will be the same as every year around here. Free agency will start in March, the Skins will go and sign some players and the messageboards of the other NFC East's teams will all have a common thread on them........

How'd they do that??

Happens EVERY year.

Diesel, I too have heard the calls of cap hell every year and thought it was ingenious the way Danny was able to backpedal out of it each time. What you need to understand is this year is different if the CBA isn't extended because of the 30 percent rule. If the CBA doesn't get extended, starters will be cut, there will be NO additions of any value except undrafted FAs named Benotz and Smuckatelly to fill out the 53 man roster.

Archived