Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Indy Star News - Wayne likely to resign with Colts

redman

Bush, Maroney and Williams are all likely to be gone by pick 7 or so. They're talent is so good that teams will select them even though their areas of need aren't necessarily at RB.

White is more difficult to guage, but most seem to think he's off the board by the mid-teens to #20.

Right now the chant for the Cardinals is for them to take LenDale White, whos stock will soar after the combine.

Right now the chant for the Cardinals is for them to take LenDale White, whos stock will soar after the combine.

You may be right, but these fads come and go a lot between now and draft day. The other three guys I mentioned are deemed by most - accurately or not - to be superior prospects to White. In truth, I could see White and Maroney having better NFL careers as RB's than Bush will (I've wondered aloud whether Bush will be the next Marshall Faulk or the next Eric Metcalf), but Bush is such a unique athletic talent that no GM wants to pass him up and get questioned later.

You may be right, but these fads come and go a lot between now and draft day. The other three guys I mentioned are deemed by most - accurately or not - to be superior prospects to White. In truth, I could see White and Maroney having better NFL careers as RB's than Bush will (I've wondered aloud whether Bush will be the next Marshall Faulk or the next Eric Metcalf), but Bush is such a unique athletic talent that no GM wants to pass him up and get questioned later.

As long as Bush isnt expected to carry an offense by himself, he will be an outstanding RB and I think that he and Dom Davis will lead a very good rushing attack with Kubiak's zone blocking scheme in place.

man LenDale with the Cardinals...scary thought to me. That guy is gonna be one hell of a running back in my opinion.

As for Wayne...not resigning with the colts would be a terrible move on his part. I dont care what they're offering him.

I just don't get the people who look down on those who advocate an attempt to sign Reggie Wayne.

Of course it's not likely. But what is the problem in saying he should be our number one target?

If he's too expensive, don't sign him. If he re-ups with the Colts, obviously you can't sign him. If they franchise him, don't sign him.

That's the beauty of having a list of targets. If the first one doesn't pan out, you can move right on to number 2 seamlessly.

But there should be no doubt that, if attainable for a somewhat legitimate price, Reggie Wayne is THE guy who would help our football team the most. He's a perfect fit, from his good hands, to crisp routes, to downfield speed. In fact, he even excels with the little quick routes and screens we run with Santana. He's used to splitting looks with a #1 and shows up in the big games. He went to Da U and is friendly with Moss and Portis who just so happen to be our two top offensive weapons.

Obviously there are several compelling reasons why we may not be able to sign him. But in my opinion, every post about acquiring a different WR should begin with "If we can't get Reggie Wayne..." And I really don't feel I'm ignorant or too easily influenced by Madden when I say that. We don't have many holes, apparently will have some cap room to play with, and desperately need a true threat opposite Santana. Why go out and obtain a boatload of mediocre veteran depth (an offseason like WR Joe Jurevicius, CB DeShea Townsend, OL Tutan Reyes, DE Raheem Brock, etc.) when you can add the one guy who will put our offense over the hump and rely on the draft to add depth and youth. IMO, an offseason like the "mediocre veteran" one I just ennumerated is much more like the old-school Redskins approach, except of course that you would have to throw in TO to be true pre-Gibbs offseason. They are all names, but are barely better than replacement rookies, would be more expensive, would be mostly backups, and would not help us one bit for the future.

Again, all I'm saying is that Wayne should be our number one, preferred guy on the market, not that we should hitch our wagon to that plan and only that plan. That should be plan A. Plan B should involve a guy like Moulds or David Givens, and that too is a solid plan.

:applause: :applause:

Archived