Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Indy Star News - Wayne likely to resign with Colts

redman

Colts GM Bill Polian recently said Reggie Wayne "isn't going anywhere."

The Indianapolis star reports the team is likely to keep him over Edgerrin James. They can probably only afford one. Wayne is due a huge contract, but the Colts will slap the franchise tag on him if the two sides can't come to a long-term agreement. Jan. 22 - 11:45 am et

Source: Indianapolis Star

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060122/SPORTS03/601220453/1100

This choice has to be based upon Edge's age because at this point in their respective careers, Edge looks like a HoF'er while Wayne has only proven that he can be effective opposite Marvin Harrison.

Wayne will probably accept less then Edge, who at this point in his career is looking for the LT and CP deal. I don't think anyone can blame Edge but the Colts cannot afford that type of deal.

Wayne knows he won't get Harrison money and Manning has a good relationship with all his WR so that will probably come into play. All in all Edge would be a better keep then Wayne but Wayne keeps the WR corp. together and keeps the franchise player happy.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Of course this won't stop the deluge of idiotic posts saying we need to get Reggie Wayne.

Hammer meets nail.

No matter the amount of evidence(since Gibbs' return) that lays before us showing that this is NOT the 2000 version of the front office(big FA spending spree),some fans and media alike assume we're after every marquee free agent that fills a need. Incredible........:doh:

Hammer meets nail.

No matter the amount of evidence(since Gibbs' return) that lays before us showing that this is NOT the 2000 version of the front office(big FA spending spree),some fans and media alike assume we're after every marquee free agent that fills a need. Incredible........:doh:

Its so true.

Trust me, I'd love to see Reggie Wayne in a Redskins uniform next year. Lining him up with Moss would be incredible.

But it's not gonna happen.

And some people just can't grasp that fact. Why? I don't know.

Hammer meets nail.

yep, i agree. There's NO NEED for a Marquee WR like Wayne.

Like your sig says, Defensive End for 06! :point2sky

I realize who they have, but could either carry the load? is a RB-by-committee approach really gonna be used in such a complicated offense?

Both Mungro and Rhodes have carried the load for Edge when he has gone down due to the injuries to his knee.

Rhodes started 10 games for indy in 2001 and gained 1100 yards 4.7 YPC and 9 TD.

Mungro has been a solid if unspectactular backup in his career as well.

Thomas Jones is supposedly going to be available in FA this offseason, and like Edge he's good both running and receiving (although not as good as Edge of course). I have a tough time envisioning them drafting a guy and expecting him to contribute right away given the expectation of winning now, the complexities of the offense, and where they're drafting in the first round.

If the Colts do decide to cut ties with Edgerrin, I expect them to draft a rb within the first few rounds of the draft. This wouldn't be a new approach for this franchise, as the Edge was drafted to replace Marshall Faulk, who was traded to the Rams.

If the Colts do decide to cut ties with Edgerrin, I expect them to draft a rb within the first few rounds of the draft. This wouldn't be a new approach for this franchise, as the Edge was drafted to replace Marshall Faulk, who was traded to the Rams.

That was in 1999 when Peyton was a 2nd year player and the team was coming off of a 3-13 record and was drafting in the top 5. Things have changed a bit since then.

The expectations are going to be a bit higher next season than they were in 1999 given that they had the best record in football last season, and given the veteran nature of this team.

That was in 1999 when Peyton was a 2nd year player and the team was coming off of a 3-13 record and was drafting in the top 5. Things have changed a bit since then.

The expectations are going to be a bit higher next season than they were in 1999 given that they had the best record in football last season, and given the veteran nature of this team.

Well, during James' rookie campaign, he did rush for 1,553 yards and 13 TD's.

The Colts had a 13-3 that season, losing in the second round of the playoffs.

Again, I don't think its a reach to come to the conclusion that the Colts may decide to revisit a proven formula of replacing a superstar rb.

Well, during James' rookie campaign, he did rush for 1,553 yards and 13 TD's.

The Colts had a 13-3 that season, losing in the second round of the playoffs.

Again, I don't think its a reach to come to the conclusion that the Colts may decide to revisit a proven formula of replacing a superstar rb.

So your premise is that Edge's talent and quick development is something that the Colts can expect with such a high degree of confidence to again draft that they will stake their team's performance next year on the fortunes of a rookie RB?

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Edge is a Hall of Fame RB. You don't go into a draft with the expectation of getting that kind of talent, especially when you're drafting 24th or lower.

Am I ruling out that they draft a RB? Not at all. But I have to think that whatever they do in the draft they will sign a veteran RB to help them.

So your premise is that Edge's talent and quick development is something that the Colts can expect with such a high degree of confidence to again draft that they will stake their team's performance next year on the fortunes of a rookie RB?

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Edge is a Hall of Fame RB. You don't go into a draft with the expectation of getting that kind of talent, especially when you're drafting 24th or lower.

Am I ruling out that they draft a RB? Not at all. But I have to think that whatever they do in the draft they will sign a veteran RB to help them.

My premise is that based upon past actions, it is not far fetched or delusional to realistically ponder the possibility of the Colts using a high draft selection to replace Edgerrin James on their roster. I utilized the Marshall Faulk example of an instance where the team decided to replace a Hall of Fame caliber running back with a rookie. It terms of a veteran presence, they already have that in Dominic Rhodes who, as another poster mentioned, does have the feat of attaining 1,000 yards on his resume.

I guess we shall see come draft day.

My prediction is that Edge is going to Seattle and Alexander is going somewhere who will give him the money he wants. Alexander is going to want more money than LT, and IMO he is a guy who runs very well behind a great o-line. But lots of RBs can do that, and Edge will do it next year.

it'll be interesting to see who they draft to carry the rock in Indy next season, if that hurts them or not

They might be interested in a Ladell Betts. Who knows?

Before I get it from the peanut gallery, I'm not suggesting a trade for Wayne that involves Betts, just a straight up draft pick for Betts. If Ladell wants to go somewhere he can be a starter, I say give him the opportunity if he can bring us value in trade. Rock is an acceptable backup RB, and Nemo would probably be OK as well. Heck even Manuel White can carry the rock decently. Betts is nice to have, but I'd rather have a #2 draft pick if that's an option as we have more depth than we need at RB and not enough in some other areas.

My premise is that based upon past actions, it is not far fetched or delusional to realistically ponder the possibility of the Colts using a high draft selection to replace Edgerrin James on their roster. I utilized the Marshall Faulk example of an instance where the team decided to replace a Hall of Fame caliber running back with a rookie. It terms of a veteran presence, they already have that in Dominic Rhodes who, as another poster mentioned, does have the feat of attaining 1,000 yards on his resume.

I guess we shall see come draft day.

There is a plethera of backs in this draft and not a whole lot of need around the league for backs. I think the Colts could land Lindale White, Lawrence Maroney or the kid out of Memphis. Watch Edge go to the Cardinals.

I just don't get the people who look down on those who advocate an attempt to sign Reggie Wayne.

Of course it's not likely. But what is the problem in saying he should be our number one target?

If he's too expensive, don't sign him. If he re-ups with the Colts, obviously you can't sign him. If they franchise him, don't sign him.

That's the beauty of having a list of targets. If the first one doesn't pan out, you can move right on to number 2 seamlessly.

But there should be no doubt that, if attainable for a somewhat legitimate price, Reggie Wayne is THE guy who would help our football team the most. He's a perfect fit, from his good hands, to crisp routes, to downfield speed. In fact, he even excels with the little quick routes and screens we run with Santana. He's used to splitting looks with a #1 and shows up in the big games. He went to Da U and is friendly with Moss and Portis who just so happen to be our two top offensive weapons.

Obviously there are several compelling reasons why we may not be able to sign him. But in my opinion, every post about acquiring a different WR should begin with "If we can't get Reggie Wayne..." And I really don't feel I'm ignorant or too easily influenced by Madden when I say that. We don't have many holes, apparently will have some cap room to play with, and desperately need a true threat opposite Santana. Why go out and obtain a boatload of mediocre veteran depth (an offseason like WR Joe Jurevicius, CB DeShea Townsend, OL Tutan Reyes, DE Raheem Brock, etc.) when you can add the one guy who will put our offense over the hump and rely on the draft to add depth and youth. IMO, an offseason like the "mediocre veteran" one I just ennumerated is much more like the old-school Redskins approach, except of course that you would have to throw in TO to be true pre-Gibbs offseason. They are all names, but are barely better than replacement rookies, would be more expensive, would be mostly backups, and would not help us one bit for the future.

Again, all I'm saying is that Wayne should be our number one, preferred guy on the market, not that we should hitch our wagon to that plan and only that plan. That should be plan A. Plan B should involve a guy like Moulds or David Givens, and that too is a solid plan.

There is a plethera of backs in this draft and not a whole lot of need around the league for backs. I think the Colts could land Lindale White, Lawrence Maroney or the kid out of Memphis. Watch Edge go to the Cardinals.

Bush, Maroney and Williams are all likely to be gone by pick 7 or so. They're talent is so good that teams will select them even though their areas of need aren't necessarily at RB.

White is more difficult to guage, but most seem to think he's off the board by the mid-teens to #20.

Archived