Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tandlers's Blog: Gibbs Fires Himself

Mark

I'm not sure what the big deal is here. Most teams have both a Defensive Coordinator and Offensive Coordinator. The OC usually calls the plays and the head coach has final say. Occasionally the HC will take over completely (I think Belichick and/or Sherman did this within the last few seasons) if they think the OC is off-stride. I'm sure the same thing will happen here.

Besides, my take on Gibbs & Co. is that they coach by committee. Gibbs likes to surround himself with the best minds and then pick or choose from each. Saunders just strengthens the "brain trust". I think the media is making more of this b/c there's nothing else to talk about at this time.

gibbs is going to provide direction, and provide a lot of input. If it is a 3rd and 3 I think gibbs will ask for a run and then Saunders will dial up the formation and they type of run. I think Joe will make the call to go for it on 4th downs, then it will be Saunders call on the play. That is what I'm assuming. who knows??

Having another aptly-capable set of eyes in the gameplan and film review sessions can only help. However, I really don't see JG backing off from his marathon days and nights. I wish folks wouldn't fret the semantics of job titles and who supercedes who on the organizational chart. At the end of the day you have a plethora of great minds to assist in formulating a gameplan. My guess is that Saunders will likely defer certain areas of gameplanning to everyone on the coaching staff. There are simply too many humble and successful professionals associated with the organization now to suggest that this will somehow create chaos among the ranks. I'm quite sure that JG had conversations with the current cast and crew before he ever set foot on Redskins One to go recruit Saunders. Score another victory for JG's and his ability to lead men.

This article is a bit overblown. I mean come on, how many good head coaches have had offensive coordinators? And just because Saunders will be doing more of the playcalling duties doesn't mean that Gibbs is a non-factor in gameplanning during the week, coaching the players, and making other adjustments in the gameplan DURING the game. This writer doesn't seem to know what an offensive coordinator does.

Archived