Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tight End A Possibility?

bricucci

There have been numerous posts on the TE position. We need one badly!

First rounders are: Davis (Md) and Lewis (UCLA)

Second and later rounders are: Pope (UGA), King (VT) and the TE from Texas.

I would be happy with any of them, but I prefer Pope as my first pick.

you serious i can name 10

p.s. u a terps fan?

I'm not a Maryland fan and I would agree with the Bush comment. Vernon Davis is a freak. Probably the strongest player in the draft, runs like a wr, has incredible hands and it takes 3 people to tackle the guy. This guy makes Winslow and Shockey look average coming out of college. He will be a special special player.

Just as a bit of an update, Scott Wright reported in his Tuesday Senior Bowl wrapup that 'Skins reps were seen speaking with Dominique Byrd.

Doesn't mean much, just figured I'd throw it out there.

Who is Byrd? Thanks.

How about Cooley becomes our #1 TE and H-back, Sellers becomes a true fullback? That's pretty much the way Saunders was running it in KC with Gonzonlez and Richardson.

Hmm...that is very interesting. I definitely want to see Sellars on the field more blocking for Portis.

Shoring up the TE spot will create even more room for the #2 WR to operate. Gibbs plays close to the vest and a 2nd TE that is a legitimate threat like Cooley would be huge. I believe that next year Cooley will crack the 1000 yard mark and Santana will add another 1200-1500. Throw in another TE with 300-400 yards then we will be fine. If D's have to key in on 2 TEs and a RB our 2nd WR will have alot more 1 on 1 and give us much better production than this year.

Also WIDE RECIEVERS HARDLY EVER CONTRIBUTE THEIR ROOKIE SEASON! Drafting a WR will give us someone in the future, but don't expect us to draft a WR that shores up the #2 WR spot with 1000 yards next year.

True. I think we should sign a WR via free agency and try to draft a TE.

We would obviously have to trade up in the draft to get him but it could be something to look at depending on what we do in free agency and what we get for Ramsey....

I would really like to have him here but it might be more beneficial to draft 3-4 players on the 1st day of the draft instead of coming out of each draft with 1-2 guys(i.e Champ/Jansen; Lavar/ Samuels; Taylor/Cooley; Rogers/Cambell)

• 2 weeks later...
No we dont need a tight end...im hoping actually that we re-sign Robert Royal. Now what i want is for us to trade a 2nd and a 4th round draft pick for like the 33-37 overall pick in the draft and maybe add a 6th round draft pick to it if they want more. The Draft Martain Nance.

There are about 15 college tight ends right now better than Robert Royal. So he's good now because he didn't drop everything thrown his way the last 5 games of the year?? Besides if we continue on with the Mark Brunell experiment we need a stud tight end that can make things happen after the catch because Brunell doesn't have the arm or patience to hit wide receivers, tight ends are much more in his wheelhouse.

I still think that we are going to go for a DE, but then again I 've been thinking that for 8 years. A TE is a possiblity, I wanted to draft Heath Miller last year but we let him get away. I am also not opposed to drafting Stovall from Notre Dame as a big WR. I guess we will have to wait to see.:logo::logo::logo:

I think Vernon Davis really is a special prospect. If we found a way to trade up for him (not likely) I'd be estactic. A lot of members keep saying we need a posession reciever as our #2 guy. Well he could do that for us as a TE. Kansas City didn't have stud recievers but they had Tony and Dunn. I know Dunn was more of a blocker but thats what Royal could do for us. Team would have an extremely tough time with matchups trying to cover Davis, then Portis and Cooley out of the backfield and still find a way to double up on Moss.

Picking up a guy like Davis would limit us at our second wide reciever spot but I think the guys we already have could get it done if we upgraded the TE position. It's really just two different ways to build on our offense, neither approach is neccessarily better than the other.

I've sprinkled this thought throughout other draft threads. It is just my theory that we will go TE (we rarely seem to draft the position of greatest need with our first picks).

While I agree that we have pressing needs for a speed rushing DE and some depth at other defensive positions (and OL), drafting one of the many talented (and mobile) pass-catching TEs available will lessen the burden on the #2 WR position. In fact, I think this is exactly the way that Gibbs and Saunders will go.

As far as whom, it will depend on whose available by #53, but probably Byrd, Lewis, Klopfenstein, or Fasano. I know it is a strong possibility we will go defense, but I just think when it comes to the offense this is more of a Gibbs kind of pick than WR, at least with the first pick of the draft.

Archived