Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tight End A Possibility?

bricucci

With the arrival of Al Saunders is it possible we could pursue another Tight End in the draft. Kc had a prolific Offense with very marginal Wr's. However they did have two stud tight ends (Jason Dunn would be a stud and # 1 for 90% of the teams in this league. Robert Royal is a free agent and I could only imagine what a Gibbs/Saunders offense could do with two stud tightends (please don't start a barage of Cooley is an H-Back). There are two stud Tight Ends coming out this year: Vernon Davis out of Maryland and the 6'10" kid out of Georgia. Does anyone else see the Skins going this route in the draft and suring up other weaknesses via free agency. Let me know your Thoughts. :gaintsuck :eaglesuck :dallasucky

I know they are both first rounders, but curious to see if we would make a play to move up.

Vernon Davis is not really a possibility unless a future 1st is given up. It is still early but it really looks like he will be a top 15 prospect. Too much to give up for a TE imo. Leonard Pope might be more attainable. Where did you hear was 6'10" though? I think he might be a few inches shorter, but still a huge prospect. I don't have the draft chart in front of me, but I think the Skins would have to give up their 2nd this year and a 2nd next year to move into the later rounds of the 1st. I don't think the 3rd round pick would be enough ammo.

Since there is most likely 3 first round TE prospects this year, it most likely is a deep draft at TE. I think the best bet is to stay put and draft a TE/DE in with the 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Guest mwill008

Jeff King from Va Tech and Dominque Byrd from USC are two most underrated in the draft. King is a very good blocker if not excellent with wideout hands and Byrd can catch and is a big target.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah lets ignore the glaring weaknesses on both lines and at WR and waste our few draft picks

Shoring up the TE spot will create even more room for the #2 WR to operate. Gibbs plays close to the vest and a 2nd TE that is a legitimate threat like Cooley would be huge. I believe that next year Cooley will crack the 1000 yard mark and Santana will add another 1200-1500. Throw in another TE with 300-400 yards then we will be fine. If D's have to key in on 2 TEs and a RB our 2nd WR will have alot more 1 on 1 and give us much better production than this year.

Also WIDE RECIEVERS HARDLY EVER CONTRIBUTE THEIR ROOKIE SEASON! Drafting a WR will give us someone in the future, but don't expect us to draft a WR that shores up the #2 WR spot with 1000 yards next year.

I agree.

He is way underhyped, if he had gone to a Miami or USC he'd be a top 5 pick. Watching him at Maryland, he looked way better than Kellen Winslow2 ever did.

We here in Redskin nation know all about underhyped TEs. Cooley led the NCAA with receptions his last year in college, yet all the talk was about Winslow. Antonio Gates was a very late pick and he has become a monster. There seem to always be sleepers at that position.

Jason Dunn caught 5 passes...

You were saying...

Have you seem him block??

What are your thoughts on Don Warren? Stats can be misleading he has 100 catch TE on the other side. Your missing the point.

If you read my point you can address WR, DL in free agency if this is the direction you want to go. I personally think Vernon Davis is the best Tight End I've ever seen play college football (Im not a Maryland Fan). Al Saunders ran a two Tight e nd passing game and did it well. I would give up Ramsey and a future 1 to get a hold of Davis, MO!

if/when campbell starts it would be nice to have a good tight end. i feel like the tight end is always a young quarterback's safety valve, but as we saw this year teams focus on our H-back and take him out of crucial plays. a pass catching tight end would definitely help in campbell's development. what would not help his development or his confidence is robert royal dropping several perfectly catchable balls that should have been third down conversions... as he did against san diego

I agree.

He is way underhyped, if he had gone to a Miami or USC he'd be a top 5 pick. Watching him at Maryland, he looked way better than Kellen Winslow2 ever did.

My lil cousin was the team MVP on Dunbar's team in Davis's senior season at Dunbar. Davis was hurt a lot that season but let me tell you Davis can do more than what Maryland let him do. I know college and high school are different but the boy was a plain beast. Watching him in high school he reminded me of Mike Nelms on kickoffs and punt returns. He never fair catched and was fearless. I used to be like no no and the next thing you know he's breaking tackles heading towards the end zone. One game against Harrison High School from Pennsyalvania he received a kickoff and he (Davis) hadn't quite had his mouth piece right. He was adjusting and fixing his mouth piece when he caught recieved the kickoff. While defenders were right on him he got it fixed and just sprinted all the way back for a TD.

I'll never ever forget a game in which Dunbar played Good Counsel High School. They were down big time in the 4th quarter and rallied to come back. 2 consecutive TD's were called back on Dunbar. On the 3rd one Good Counsel made the mistake of puttting one man on Davis who was split out wide. Man he caught a slant and dusted off the CB like he was an ant and sprinted all the way to the end zone.

If the Skins drafted I think he could easily make the switch to WR or effectively play TE.

Let me list the needs of this team (in no order) before we can start wasting picks on a TE

Defensive End

Wide Receiver

Offensive Guard

Punter

Kicker

Strong Safety

Linebacker

Defensive Tackle

I disagree. We could use a TE right after WR on that list. I know Gibbs likes Robert Royal but come on now, he is not that special. In fact, I see him miss blocks a drop passes all the time. I wouldn't be angry if we got rid of him.

What about that TE from UCLA? Is he coming out? Don't really know much about West coast college football but I hear the guy is a beast.

I disagree. We could use a TE right after WR on that list. I know Gibbs likes Robert Royal but come on now, he is not that special. In fact, I see him miss blocks a drop passes all the time. I wouldn't be angry if we got rid of him.

What about that TE from UCLA? Is he coming out? Don't really know much about West coast college football but I hear the guy is a beast.

Why?

What is a rookie TE going to bring into the mix that Cooley, Royals and Sellers dont already bring? We are several key pieces away from being the best team in the NFC, there is no reason to start day dreaming and paying ifs and butts with TE prospects.

We need depth at DE, S, OG

We need a kicker that can hit FG past 40 yards. We need a punter with a leg.

We need a true #2 WR.

How many picks do we have this year? Do we even have a 1st round pick?

Exactly.

I think the only possibility of a first-day TE would be using our second round pick on one of the top 3 guys, who are Davis, Pope, and Marcedes Lewis (the guy from UCLA). Any of those guys would be an instant upgrade on Royal. Davis because of his freakish physical skills and Pope/Lewis because of their combination of blocking/receiving. I think if one of those guys fell to us, we would have to consider it, simply because they will all probably be upper-echelon TEs in the league.

But if one of those players doesn't make it to 53, there is no way we should take a first day TE.

There are too many players like Joel Klopfenstein, Tim Day, Anthony Fasano, Dominique Byrd, etc. who could all fall to the 4th or 5th on draft day.

Why?

What is a rookie TE going to bring into the mix that Cooley, Royals and Sellers dont already bring? We are several key pieces away from being the best team in the NFC, there is no reason to start day dreaming and paying ifs and butts with TE prospects.

We need depth at DE, S, OG

We need a kicker that can hit FG past 40 yards. We need a punter with a leg.

We need a true #2 WR.

How many picks do we have this year? Do we even have a 1st round pick?

Exactly.

Let me rephrase: I think Royal blows. Hey, I'm not about picking a TE if we cant address other more glaring needs like DE/WR or even OG in free agency. Nothing wrong with a little day dreaming in January.

Archived