Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moss vs. Smith

wpenn1

I have been forced to watch some Panthers games this year because I live in NC and I must say their team reminds me of the Redskins in alot of ways. Both have good defenses however we have the better running game. However the most glaring similarity is that we both have one great wide receiver. Here is my question.

Everyone knows that when they play the skins that they must double Moss and some of them have been sucessful at taking him out of the game.

That being said everyone knows they must double Smith however the Panthers always find a way to get him the ball either through reverses or different formations. And to take it further the panthers dont even have a cooley.

How are the Panthers able to utilize Smith so much although he is their only threat and why arent we able to do the same with Moss?

They really don't use Smith that much more than Moss. Smith had 80 more yards than Moss over the course of the 16 game season.

I think you are just looking at the Chicago game as if it is normal for Steve Smith to have a game like that. That was well above average for even him. He has his share of games where he disappears too.

They really don't use Smith that much more than Moss. Smith had 80 more yards than Moss over the course of the 16 game season.

I think you are just looking at the Chicago game as if it is normal for Steve Smith to have a game like that. That was well above average for even him. He has his share of games where he disappears too.

smith had 103 receptions and 12 td's. He didn't have that many games where he disappered. it seems like everytime i looked on the tv he was getting at least 8 catches a game

To me, it seems that Smith is tougher then Moss, but I think that Moss is a bit quicker/agile and faster.

Although the Panthers, as the commentators jokingly versed on sunday, have two game plans: The Panthers offense, and the Steve Smith offense. I think they try to get him the ball more often then we do, however, both teams employ the same kind of plays: end arounds, WR screens, etc.

Smith is better at going across the middle, IMO. Moss is better at the screens and adjusting to the deep ball. I think Smith is a little stronger, but as I said, it seems that Moss has a faster game speed then SMith.

To me, it seems that Smith is tougher then Moss, but I think that Moss is a bit quicker/agile and faster.

Although the Panthers, as the commentators jokingly versed on sunday, have two game plans: The Panthers offense, and the Steve Smith offense. I think they try to get him the ball more often then we do, however, both teams employ the same kind of plays: end arounds, WR screens, etc.

Smith is better at going across the middle, IMO. Moss is better at the screens and adjusting to the deep ball. I think Smith is a little stronger, but as I said, it seems that Moss has a faster game speed then SMith.

100 % agreed. I did realize that Moss didnt come across the middle tha much. Smith took some shots coming across the middle. (ex. Tampa Bay game). Both are unique and can do things their way with the ball which is why i'm glad both of them are going to the pro-bowl. They deserved it.

The Panthers do have a #2 receiver. In addition, like many have said, Delhomme (sp?) and Smith have had much more time together. In addition, I hate to say it, but Smith is arguably the best receiver in the league. He's got everything. Don't get me wrong, Santana is a beast, and I'm so happy to have him, but he's not Steve Smith. Although, he's not far behind him, but I think Smith will always get the edge because of his height.

There are a number of factors, some of which have been mentioned already.

Their ability to get their numbers 2 and 3 receivers involved helps a lot. They are better at the receiver position than we are. The fact that they have Delhomme instead of Brunell can't hurt either.

Actually, the Panthers "other" receivers are much better than ours, is what it is.

That is true. They are better, but not by much. I still think Delholme is just better. It would also have a bit to do with what Lil Kenzo said. That Smith and Delholme have worked together for alot longer.

are you kidding? smith and moss are so similar its not even funny. They have the most yards in the league (moss is 2nd), both are clearly the only dangerous reciever on their team, and both are so fast and quick that teams have to double cover them in order to try and stop them.

I live in NC too and see most of the Panthers games. They do have a Cooley, his name is Kris Mangum. Also, the have Ricky Proehl and Keary Colbert...both good starting WRs. Then you throw in Smith and a fairly accurate Delhomme and you have an awesome passing game. On top of that they have Deshaun Foster who is extremely productive and they have Stephen Davis who until last year, was also extremely productive. This makes for a great offense.

The main thing is they have two other starting WRs who are healthy and can make plays. Hopefully next year Patten will be completely healthy and we will pick up a third receiver who can make plays. You have to remember that Patten's been struggling with his injury all year, when he's healthy he can be a threat. Also, it would help if we could either develop Jason Campbell or somehow prevent Brunell from being injured.

84 catches for 1483 yards, must of done something right

He did 84 things right. I really think it was just the QB's and our tougher schedule that limited what we did with Moss.

Give us another year and we'll adapt the offense more to his speed and style. The Carolina passing game is built around Smith, we didn't think Moss would have such a breakout year. Gibbs will craft some plays and we'll see next year.

Archived