Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey and 2 draft picks for this year 1st round pick?

tenken627

The Draft is where great franchises are built. Boswell advocates getting rid of our 2nd rounder this year, a first rounder next year and PR to move into the first round of a draft without any truly notable WR's. That is just plain garbage. I think he forgot he was supposed to put out a column for today and whipped that BS together as quick as he could.

Haha, my thoughts exactly...

I liked Boswell's article a lot. He basically believes that the "player that will put us over a top" would be a second WR who has the potential to get 1,000yds or a Art Monk type player.

The trade for a 1st round pick would take a lot from our end, but whatever it takes to get to the superbowl I am all for.

My question is whether there are enough elite WR's that we would not be able to get with our 2nd round pick. It seems that the only elite WR's are Santonio Holmes and possibly Sinorice Moss, but Moss may be a 2nd too.

Koren Robinson, Reggie Wayne, Antwaan Randle-El or draft pick???

This offseason could be interesting.

The alternative from grabbing a top flight free agent would be to trade Patrick Ramsey, the 2nd rounder from this year, and the 1st rounder from next year for a 1st rounder this year and pick up a talented receiver in the first round of the draft.

WAY TOO EXPENSIVE DUDE! If you want to give up draft picks for receiver talent, then give a 4th rounder for San Fran's Restricted Free Agent - Brandon Lloyd. Or get a proven free agent from the upcoming offseason deep talent pool, but don't throw the baby out with the bath-water.

We can't keep dumping our draft picks if we want a good team for years to come. Bobby Beathard's old way of trading all of our draft picks won't work in this Salary Cap Era.

Cooley is good but not Art Monk good! One of the announcers of Sat. game mentioned (fwiw) that Cooley tends to have trouble with man coverage, considering his lack of speed it makes sense.

One thing I've noticed this year is that for a big man, Cooley had a ton of fumbles, more than his fair share. He needs to improve in that department.

Moss and Portis, on the other hand, did a great job holding on to the rock.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/16/AR2006011601456.html

Boswell is probably the best Washington Post writer. He says that Reggie Wayne and Antawn Randle El are possibilities, but a 1st round draft pick THIS year might be an alternative.

The alternative from grabbing a top flight free agent would be to trade Patrick Ramsey, the 2nd rounder from this year, and the 1st rounder from next year for a 1st rounder this year and pick up a talented receiver in the first round of the draft.

Either way, he says that picking up an "Art Monk" is a must, and the Redskins organization told him as well.

I'm just glad there was no mention of TO anywhere at all.

But this scenario could be interesting as well. And for some reason, it wouldn't shock me at all if it happened.

Is this year's draft talented in wide receivers? I haven't been keeping up.

This would even be a losing trade in Madden. :wtf:

Come on, Boswell. :nutkick:

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold
Fact is the trade doesn't make sense because as far as obtaining a rookie WR, there is no top flight franchise WR in this class, so we would indeed be giving up to much for a rookie WR.

Now I purpose to you the same trade setup to the NYJ for the fourth pick and we draft Mario Williams DE from NC State. I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Love that pick, the guy is an animal. Also, to back you up on the notion that its a bad idea to draft a WR for the idea of starting him or simply bolstering the offense, here is a list of the 2005 1st round WR's and their stats:

Name Pick # Games Played Games Started Catches Yards Touchdowns

Braylon Edwards 3 10 7 32 512 3

Troy Williamson 7 14 3 24 372 2

Mike Williams 10 14 4 29 350 1

Matt Jones 21 16 1 36 432 5

Mark Clayton 22 14 10 44 471 2

Sharod White 27 16 8 29 446 3

Average N/A 14.0 5.5 32.3 430.5 2.7

if the columns are messed up its b/c i copied it from excel but you should get the picture....

mark clayton had the most catches with a mere 44 and yards with 471 and matt jones had the most touchdowns with 5.....not exactly worth giving up 2 picks AND PR.

My point exactly in post #54

definitly. is moulds going to be a UFA or are we going to have to trade to get him?

We need immidiate help at the #2 WR spot. Rookie WRs have historically struggled their 1st season. I would be happier keeping our draft picks, getting another 1 for Ramsey and see who pans out. We need too much help in non-pressing areas, depth at O-line, D-line, and corner to go along with a new #2 WR. Lets draft some depth and a project WR and sign a FA WR.

Oh yeah, and we do have our "Art Monk" third down first down machine in Chris Cooley. Gibbs never had an H-back of Cooley's calibur. We don't need an "Art Monk" caliber player for this team to become a super bowl contender, just a consistent guy who could get us 600 yds or so, and won't drop balls ala Jacobs and Patten.

Agree and disagree. I dont like the idea of giving up this years number 2 pick and next years number one pick AND Ramsey for just a first rounder this year. There are a couple good recievers in this years draft but none that I would consider worth all that. So I agree, we need help in other positions and giving up all those picks AND Ramsey doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. Especially when we can get at least a third rounder for Ramsey, I say we take what we can get while we can for him and work hard on acquiring a talented free agent WR.

I disagree that we dont need an "Art Monk" kind of guy, and that Cooley is our "Monk". Cooley is great but we'll see even better things out of him with another threat at the wide reciever position. If we have two guys that can stretch the defense then Cooley should have a field day picking up chunks of yards underneath. Remember, when we were winning SuperBowls we had three really reliable recievers in Monk, Clark and Sanders and Clint Didier was our go to guy at Tight End/ H-Back.

Eh...I'm not sure if putting a rookie WR in the #2 slot again is worth the risk.

I point to Taylor Jacobs.

.........for what??

Reggie Wayne is soft Manning kept trying to get him the ball and he could not handle the physical Steeler defenders.

He is more of speed and timing guy.

Ok, I refuse to let this one go. Do you watch football? If I'm not mistaken you are the same guy who spat in Portis's face by starting the unfathomably stupid thread, appropriately titled "Champ Bailey was a awful trade"?

Reggie Wayne is a TOUGH receiver. You will thank your lucky stars if he ends up here in Washington because he is EXACTLY what this offense needs.

By the way, for those of you who think starting Jason Campbell is giving up on next season, are you familiar with Tom Brady? Ben Roethlisberger? Daunte Culpepper? Michael Vick? Chad Pennington? shoot how about Shaun King even?

QBs CAN come in and lead teams to the playoffs, and even deep in the playoffs with little or no starting experience heading into the regular season. If it's going to happen anywhere, it will happen here where Gibbs will NOT expose his young QB.

How much worse can Campbell be than the Brunell we saw in weeks 17 and the WC and NFC Divisional rounds of the playoffs?

Uh yeah, that and the fact that Cooley's not a WIDE RECIEVER!!!!!

Well I think the main problem with Cooley being your #2 reciever is that as the #2 reciever, he is a lot of times covered by CBs and safeties which is a mismatch for us, if we are able to bring in a legit #2 reciever, you'll see him covered by more and more linebackers- something VERY few can actually do.

Gee, AJ, the Skins just called and would like to see your resume so you can join the coaching staff. They are so stunned by the fact you can obviously see things the head coach is missing that they want you to be a special consultant to the team to correct his mistakes.

You can give up on Ramsey. It is not going to happen here for him. Whether it ever could have or not will have to remain to be seen. If you watched Gibbs presser yesterday it became very clear that the QB position here is Brunell and Campbell and some guy they don't have yet in the #3 spot. The only way this does not happen if Gibbs decides that Campbell is just not yet quite ready and he needs Ramsey as insurance.

And frankly, I agree with him. We do not have that "steady, always open, always good for a first down, always good to catch the ball guy" on the other side of Moss. I am beginning to think that the problem with Brunell not throwing to anyone other than Moss and Cooely (with a few exceptions here and there) is he just does not trust them to go get the ball. How many balls did we see Jacobs drop in the last 5 weeks? He has been open. That has been clear watching the game. He dropped a clear 1st down grab early in the game against the Hawks and the offense went 3 and out. Going to blame that on Brunell too? Monk would have caught it.

Brunell has his issues, no doubt. We can all see that and I am sure Gibbs can too. I also have no doubt that he can see Ramsey's issues as well. We, the public, the fans, are not in practice, not in the film room and not in the classroom. We are not privy to the conversations between Gibbs and Musgrave about the QBs. Give this crusade a rest. To quote Jim Mora, "you think you know but you don't know".

I couldnt have said it better myself! :applause:

Ok, I refuse to let this one go. Do you watch football? If I'm not mistaken you are the same guy who spat in Portis's face by starting the unfathomably stupid thread, appropriately titled "Champ Bailey was a awful trade"?

Reggie Wayne is a TOUGH receiver. You will thank your lucky stars if he ends up here in Washington because he is EXACTLY what this offense needs.

By the way, for those of you who think starting Jason Campbell is giving up on next season, are you familiar with Tom Brady? Ben Roethlisberger? Daunte Culpepper? Michael Vick? Chad Pennington? shoot how about Shaun King even?

QBs CAN come in and lead teams to the playoffs, and even deep in the playoffs with little or no starting experience heading into the regular season. If it's going to happen anywhere, it will happen here where Gibbs will NOT expose his young QB.

How much worse can Campbell be than the Brunell we saw in weeks 17 and the WC and NFC Divisional rounds of the playoffs?

I completely agree with you about Wayne....did you see the catch he made on that 2 point conversion on Sunday? amazing.

However, you are making the argument for NOT starting Campbell in the second half of your post. Aside from Brady.........Big Ben, Duante, Vick and Pennington have a combined ZERO super bowl APPEARANCES. Is it completely wrong for me to assume that, at this point albeit VERY early, with the success of this past season nothing less than a superbowl appearance would be a disappointment next year?

I'm just not sure we get there with Campbell....

No doubt. Gibbs has shown he can't win the big one unless he has a proto-type, rifle-armed HOF-caliber QB.

Oh, I think I found it guys, right here. This is it!......The most ignorant statement on this website.....

You've got to be kidding me, right? Please tell me this is a joke! Lets see, Theisman Williams Rypien. Yea, I see Hall of Fame all over these guys. Shouldnt we have a dunce cap for such moronic statements!!!

Oh, I think I found it guys, right here. This is it!......The most ignorant statement on this website.....

You've got to be kidding me, right? Please tell me this is a joke! Lets see, Theisman Williams Rypien. Yea, I see Hall of Fame all over these guys. Shouldnt we have a dunce cap for such moronic statements!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Archived