Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey and 2 draft picks for this year 1st round pick?

tenken627

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/16/AR2006011601456.html

Boswell is probably the best Washington Post writer. He says that Reggie Wayne and Antawn Randle El are possibilities, but a 1st round draft pick THIS year might be an alternative.

The alternative from grabbing a top flight free agent would be to trade Patrick Ramsey, the 2nd rounder from this year, and the 1st rounder from next year for a 1st rounder this year and pick up a talented receiver in the first round of the draft.

Either way, he says that picking up an "Art Monk" is a must, and the Redskins organization told him as well.

I'm just glad there was no mention of TO anywhere at all.

But this scenario could be interesting as well. And for some reason, it wouldn't shock me at all if it happened.

Is this year's draft talented in wide receivers? I haven't been keeping up.

We need immidiate help at the #2 WR spot. Rookie WRs have historically struggled their 1st season. I would be happier keeping our draft picks, getting another 1 for Ramsey and see who pans out. We need too much help in non-pressing areas, depth at O-line, D-line, and corner to go along with a new #2 WR. Lets draft some depth and a project WR and sign a FA WR.

Oh yeah, and we do have our "Art Monk" third down first down machine in Chris Cooley. Gibbs never had an H-back of Cooley's calibur. We don't need an "Art Monk" caliber player for this team to become a super bowl contender, just a consistent guy who could get us 600 yds or so, and won't drop balls ala Jacobs and Patten.

*BUZZER*

Wrong.

I usually like Boswell's writing, but it's the quarterback. We're about to ship out the only one on the roster who could have given us a shot next year, and have no cap room to get somebody similar. We're going to watch Brunell limp through another season, then hope Campbell sets the world on fire. Next year is a holding pattern if Brunell starts, and a rebuilding year if Campbell starts.

*BUZZER*

Wrong.

I usually like Boswell's writing, but it's the quarterback. We're about to ship out the only one on the roster who could have given us a shot next year, and have no cap room to get somebody similar. We're going to watch Brunell limp through another season, then hope Campbell sets the world on fire. Next year is a holding pattern if Brunell starts, and a rebuilding year if Campbell starts.

yeah that darn guy that got us to the playoffs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/16/AR2006011601456.html

Boswell is probably the best Washington Post writer. He says that Reggie Wayne and Antawn Randle El are possibilities, but a 1st round draft pick THIS year might be an alternative.

The alternative from grabbing a top flight free agent would be to trade Patrick Ramsey, the 2nd rounder from this year, and the 1st rounder from next year for a 1st rounder this year and pick up a talented receiver in the first round of the draft.

Either way, he says that picking up an "Art Monk" is a must, and the Redskins organization told him as well.

But this scenario could be interesting as well. And for some reason, it wouldn't shock me at all if it happened.

Do you really see your team so close to competing for the Super Bowl you would want to sacrifice even more draft picks?

I think that you guys might just have more holes than WR, but I'd be delighted to have your front office believing that was the only shortcoming.

The Draft is where great franchises are built. Boswell advocates getting rid of our 2nd rounder this year, a first rounder next year and PR to move into the first round of a draft without any truly notable WR's. That is just plain garbage. I think he forgot he was supposed to put out a column for today and whipped that BS together as quick as he could.

The Draft is where great franchises are built. Boswell advocates getting rid of our 2nd rounder this year, a first rounder next year and PR to move into the first round of a draft without any truly notable WR's. That is just plain garbage. I think he forgot he was supposed to put out a column for today and whipped that BS together as quick as he could.

totally agree. This is a weak draft for WRs and the Skins need to accumulate some young talent along both sides of the ball.

We really should try to hold the draft picks we have for a few years, just so we can atleast get a better flow of young talent. I'd prefer to have Wayne or Randle El than pretty much any rookie WR out there, anyways. Wayne would be an excellent change of pace to Moss, he's not as speedy but he's taller and he's got great hands. Randle El would just be like having a second Santana in a slightly downgraded, #2 wide receiver form.

Wrong.

I disagree looking back at Gibbs first run with the Redskins. There was no rebuiding year when Ryp took over. Once Campbell starts he will be expected to play well. This is what is called building on the fly. It is why we gave up a pick in this years first round for a pick in last years first round so that our QB to be would have a year to learn and not even have to do backup duty.

I disagree looking back at Gibbs first run with the Redskins. There was no rebuiding year when Ryp took over. Once Campbell starts he will be expected to play well. This is what is called building on the fly. It is why we gave up a pick in this years first round for a pick in last years first round so that our QB to be would have a year to learn and not even have to do backup duty.

I totally agree that this yr was Campbells buffer. At some point (and I believe it will be some time next season) he will be expected to take over and have immediate success. If not, why in the world would we trade up to get him AND give him a yr to get tutored in the offense?

Let's see --- a 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick AND a quality NFL QB for.........one 1st round pick? Does anyone else fail to see the logic behind this? Maybe I'm doing the math wrong....:laugh:

We traded a 3rd for Brunnell and gave him a huge contract so this wouldnt suprise me. :doh:

Thats an absolute horrible trade... i would be very pissed should we do something like that.

I would rather just get a 3rd for Ramsey

I hope this shows all you aspiring General Managers out there the true value of a Patrick Ramsey. His stock is worth about the same as a million shares of enron. The bottom line is this whatever trade value Ramsey had was basicly blown this year. The kid has a big league arm but has a glass jaw now because he was murdered under Spurrier. Reggie Wayne probibly upped is market value with that performance in the divisonal round of the playoffs.

And yes we do need a #2 reciever, and No Cooley is not to be considered a #2 reciever and no he dose not fill the Art monk role. If that were the case then the position of Tight end wouldnt exist. The correct verbage would be to say Cooley is the #2 option.

I think a draft pick might be the smart way to go about this, because the #2 reciever would be in a relative pressure free environment especially with a 1500 yd back, a 1500 yd reciever and a te that should have made the pro bowl. Honestly I like Koren Robinson if he can shy away from the booze, Randall El would be a solid complement, or sleeper Joe Jerevicious would be money.

There aren't any good recievers in the draft. If we were to make a trade like that, we should do it to get a player like Mario Williams. He's bound to be the next Julius Peppers. There's also Ngati at Defensive Tackle. Or Brickashaw Ferguson at Offensive Tackle.

I would hope we keep Ramsey. I believe he's got his confidence back and he showed it during the Giants game at home when he relieved Brunell after he got injured. Seeing that, Brunell should have stayed on the sideline until he was completely healthy because he clearly wasn't the same QB after wards, and Ramsey showed he was more than capable. He seemed to get rid of his Steve Spurrier jitters and indecisiveness. He looked more like a leader.

Plus his cap numbers are WAY more cap friendly than Mark Brunell. I hope we get to keep him.

Archived