Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Dungy retire? Should the Colts trade Peyton to say New Orleans?

88Comrade2000

Tony Dungy has some thinking to do. He said he will reflect and take some time off but it wouldn't shock anyone if he retires in a couple of weeks.

I think he will do just that and resign and decide to spend more time with the family.

As for PeyChoketon; he's burning bridges with fellow teammates. The most selfish player there is. Tom Brady he isn't! I think things we will get real bad next year for the Colts- whether Dungy is back or not. I am already predicting a 6-10 or 7-9 losing record; post playoff choking blues season. Maybe the Colts should start over, they aren't going to win anything with PeyChoketon. Maybe they can trade him to New Orleans and start over with Lineart or Young? Hmmmmmm!

Why has there been so much media speculation about Dungy retiring? It seems like 100% speculation. Has Tony ever hinted in that direction? Serious question.

As for your Peyton idea... sounds like a good idea. Trade him for an unproven guy.

Sincerely,

Matt Millen. :doh:

Colts' Dungy Takes Break to Reflect on Son, Coaching Future

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01162006/v9488.html

Jan 16, 4:52 PM (ET) Email this Story

By MICHAEL MAROT

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Tony Dungy plans to return as Colts coach but left open the possibility of retirement following a season marked by the death of his 18-year-old son.

"I really don't know how I'll react the next few days," he said Monday, a day after the Colts were eliminated from the playoffs. "I think I'll be back. But it will really be the first time I've had to think about it."

Dungy has been one of the NFL's most successful coaches over the past decade. He's reached the playoffs eight times, won three straight AFC South titles and taken teams to the AFC and NFC championship games.

This year, he won his 100th career game less than two weeks after he turned 50.

But Dungy has always been a family man first. After the Colts' season ended with Sunday's 21-18 loss to Pittsburgh, Dungy said he intends to spend the next few days watching movies, spending time with his wife and children and reflecting on the death of his oldest son, James.

That has created a genuine conflict in Dungy's future plans.

"I think this will be the first time I'll really get to reflect on things and not be on autopilot," Dungy said. "So we'll have to see what the next few days bring."

Indianapolis certainly wants Dungy to return.

Most players praise Dungy for his faith, philosophy and the relationships he's established. It was one of the reasons that safety Mike Doss grabbed the football after beating Arizona in the regular-season finale, Dungy's first game back after his son's death, sprinted to the sideline and gave Dungy a hug.

"We really try and play hard for Coach Dungy, everyone loves him," defensive tackle Larry Tripplett said after that victory.

In October, Dungy signed a three-year contract extension that will keep him with the Colts through 2009. The question now is whether he will fulfill the deal. When pressed on the one missing link from his resume, a Super Bowl title, Dungy said he could walk away from the game without it.

"That's one of the blessings from my son's situation is that it puts everything in perspective," he said. "I'm sure I'll get over this a lot quicker than I will my son. It's a tough deal, but there are a lot more important things in scope of it than us not winning a Super Bowl."

Peyton signed an extension 2 years ago, 34 million dollar signing bonus. We had close to a 20 million hit, but that is no where near a probably 30 million dollar hit the Colts would take for trading Peyton. Only a fool would do that.

I love Coach Dungy; he's a class act, and one whom all of his players love. He was wronged in the worst possible way by the Glazers. I would definitely understand if he decided to retire to spend more time with the family. Most of the time when coaches or politicians resign to "spend more time with the family", we know that line is just a bunch of B.S., and that they're trying to cash in elsewhere or are being forced out. Were Dungy to make such a decision, it would be completely understandable.

Peyton signed an extension 2 years ago, 34 million dollar signing bonus. We had close to a 20 million hit, but that is no where near a probably 30 million dollar hit the Colts would take for trading Peyton. Only a fool would do that.

Well, they could wait for 2007- if it's a noncap year and do it

Archived