Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Hail to the Redskins" on NFL Network. Gibbs comments on Riggins.

Die Hard

A few days ago... the NFL Network did a special on the Washington Redskins "Hail to the Redskins". It was a brief reflection on some of the men that are the history of the franchise... from Joe Gibbs, Bobby Mitchell, Sammy Baugh, John Riggins and Preston Marshall.

On the Riggins segment, they mentioned the time when Riggins walked out of training camp 6 days in because he wouldn't renegotiate his contract. A while into his lockout, Gibbs visited his house and attempted to persuade Riggins to return to the team. Riggins tells Gibbs "You need more more than I need you".

2 days later, Riggins calls Gibbs and tells him he's ready to return to the team. Gibbs was looking straight into the camera at this time and says... "At this point, I'm thinking this is great. He's returning to the team, I'll trade him for a 1st rounder and get rid of this egomanica". :laugh:

And the next words are "Then I found out, he wants a no-trade clause in his contact.".

Anyways, I found that interesting that Gibbs was intending on trading Riggins.

Also like Riggos reply to talking to gibbs when they were discussing his return..Im broke,Im bored,Im back.I love riggins not only for his gameplay,but he is a deep guy (some may say deeply troubled),he wrote poetry and the next day smashed into a opposing player.Complex nut job,and i love him for it..

I saw the special too. That was a great story about wanting to trade him and Riggo being a step ahead already.

The Bobby Mitchell portion was very interesting to me. I never really appreciated the historical significance of his move to the Skins until that special. :)

And by seeing that special did you note that george marshall was trying to deny the entry of the cowboys to the league,but the cowboys bought the rights to the redskins "Hail song" and therefore forced his hand to allow them in...thats how deepseeded the rivalry goes (my memory may have been off on a few points,or all,correct me at will please)

Wow. That is very intersting. What could have been if Riggins was traded. But then again (NO dissing Riggins), I wonder if his repalcement would have been any good. Running backs generally are only as good as their blocking in front allows them to be.

Thanks for the info.

And by seeing that special did you note that george marshall was trying to deny the entry of the cowboys to the league,but the cowboys bought the rights to the redskins "Hail song" and therefore forced his hand to allow them in...thats how deepseeded the rivalry goes (my memory may have been off on a few points,or all,correct me at will please)

And we think that Peter Angelos was a jerk for opposing the Expos moving to D.C.! How the heck did the Dallas Texans (or whatever they were called) get moved to Baltimore with Marshall in charge? If that jerk (I know he owned the 'Skins, but he's still a jerk and a racist to boot) had his way, there would not only be no Cowboys, but no Texans, Saints, Jaguars, Bucs, Dolphins, Panthers, OR Titans...

Eddie Cunningham

Anyways, I found that interesting that Gibbs was intending on trading Riggins.

It is interesting for a variety of reasons. I'll leave further elucidation up to the reader.

Riggins was always an interesting guy and still is, his bizarre flip-flops on his former team notwithstanding. Sharp of him to ask for the no-trade clause.

And hey, it all worked out, right?

And we think that Peter Angelos was a jerk for opposing the Expos moving to D.C.! How the heck did the Dallas Texans (or whatever they were called) get moved to Baltimore with Marshall in charge? If that jerk (I know he owned the 'Skins, but he's still a jerk and a racist to boot) had his way, there would not only be no Cowboys, but no Texans, Saints, Jaguars, Bucs, Dolphins, Panthers, OR Titans...

Eddie Cunningham

For all his faults he was highly responsible for the league today,as far as pushing media coverage of the redskins and football in general to new height,he instituted the half time show and many other things that are still great today.Sure i dont like him for being racist and trying to keep people like bobby mitchell (love ya) outta the team and being 2 or even 5 sheets to the wind,but he was an innovator and a fantastic business man,the duality of man..

Archived