Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congress Hard at Work on "Fact Finding" Trip to Jamaica

China

:doh: I hate politicians.

Members of Congress arrive in Jamaica for five-day trip

MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica Six members of the Congress arrived in Jamaica today to begin a five-day tour of the island.

The delegation includes Democratic representatives from New Jersey, New York, Maryland, North Carolina, Ohio as well as Representative Lynn Woolsey from Petaluma.

A spokeswoman for the Jamaican Embassy in Washington D-C says the members will discuss security and trade issues while visiting tourist sites.

The trip comes as Republicans and Democrats in Congress consider new restrictions on members' travel following lobbyist Jack Abramoff's guilty plea on felony charges involving influence-peddling in Washington.

Jamaica sucks anyways. Ive never been offered drugs or hookers more in my life. Um no thanks, but i will drink all of your rum.

You cant walk 15 yards without someone coming up to you either trying to sell you something or just asking for a handout. I must've used the phrase "Im all set" 1000 times in 7 days. Not an exaggeration, 1000 times.

We hired a cab and, as we were told to, negotiated the price before hand. 20 bucks for a 5 mile cab ride to buy beer and back, reasonable. Cabbie waits for us to buy the 10 cases of beer, takes us 1 mile back and pulls over to "renegotiate" now that we cant possibly walk back with the beer.

That said, it IS a tropical paradise and the water is perfect.

Jamaica sucks anyways. Ive never been offered drugs or hookers more in my life. Um no thanks, but i will drink all of your rum.

You cant walk 15 yards without someone coming up to you either trying to sell you something or just asking for a handout. I must've used the phrase "Im all set" 1000 times in 7 days. Not an exaggeration, 1000 times.

We hired a cab and, as we were told to, negotiated the price before hand. 20 bucks for a 5 mile cab ride to buy beer and back, reasonable. Cabbie waits for us to buy the 10 cases of beer, takes us 1 mile back and pulls over to "renegotiate" now that we cant possibly walk back with the beer.

Yep. Go to Barbados instead. A tropical paradise where the people have pride.

Barbados huh? Ill look into that in April. Thanks Predicto.

My favorite place in the world. We liked it so much we got married there.

Of course it is not perfect. Some islands are more physically spectacular or more purely tourist. Barbados, like Jamaica, is a "real" place with lots of people who do not work at a resort. The nicest hotels on the West Shore are very expensive, even by Caribbean standards, while the cheapest places on the South Shore are crappy motels full of British pensioners. It can be tricky to find the right place to stay.

But the island itself is great, with history and gentle beauty and places to just wander and explore, and mostly great, great classy people.

That's why we go to Kauai instead.

That's why we go to Kauai instead.

Hawaii is a much safer bet, of course, especially Maui, and that is where we usually go. It is beautiful, clean and safe. Unfortunately, Hawaii also suffers from being too Americanized.

I find the Caribbean more quaint and interesting, but it's a long way from San Francisco. Driving around on the winding back roads of Barbados we found three hundred year old churches, little villages, a sleepy vine covered college, caves, old plantaion houses, a tiny zoo, a rum distillery and more. Driving in Maui, we found grand resorts, golf courses, and Denny's.

Archived