Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has anybody read this book?

Thinking Skins

I'm just finishing up on "The Sould of Black Folks". Its a pretty deep book inasfar as the picture it paints of the time period and the philosophies it presents. Especially towards education:

"Progress in human affairs is more often a pull than a push, a surging forward of the exceptional man, and the lifting of his duller bretheren slowly and painfully to his vantage-ground"
"The function of the Negro college, then, is clear; it must maintain the standards of popular education, it must seek the social regeneration of the Negro, and it must help in the solution of problems of race contact and cooperation. And finally beyond all this, it must develop men. "
"The function of the university is not simply to teach breadwinning, or to furnish for the public schools or to be a centre of polite society; it is, above all to the organ of that fine adjustment which forms the secret of civilization. "
"The worker must work for the glory of his handiwork, not simply for pay; the thinker must think for truth, not for fame. And all this is gained only by himan strife and longing; by ceaseless training and education; by founding Rishg on righteousness and Truth on the unhampered search for Trugh; by founding common school on the university, and the industrial school on the common schol; and weaving thus a system, not a distortion, and bringing a birth, not an abortion. "
"We hardly induce black men to believe that if their stomachs be full, it matters little about their brains. "
"If you don'y Look Up, you can't Get Up"

I have tons of thoughts and opinions about this book. If anybody's read this or has any opinions about it, I'd love to discuss them. To the point even where I may start my own message board for the discussion of this and like books.

I think he means "The Souls of Black Folk"...by W.E.B. Dubois. I took African American History and Survey of African American Lit and African American Poetry in college...and this book always came up. We read part of it and discussed the differences in DuBois's views to those of Booker T. Washington's. Read his "Up From Slavery" for a contrasting view. Very interesting because they believed that African Americans had a totally different role in society.

If thats is the case by the way, there are to many conservatives here, so I don't think any of them would read this book. I don't know why I think all conservative are racially insensitive.

That's a very stereotypical thing to say. I am a staunch conservative yet I am in NO way insensitive to other races.

That's a very stereotypical thing to say. I am a staunch conservative yet I am in NO way insensitive to other races.

How can you be a staunch conservative, and have any sensitivity except for yourself. But that is not what this thread is about. I just find it that the opinions on this site favors one side, and it not about the "Soul of Black Folks".

How can you be a staunch conservative, and have any sensitivity except for yourself. But that is not what this thread is about. I just find it that the opinions on this site favors one side, and it not about the "Soul of Black Folks".

what???? what are you talking about? Why are you assuming I have no sensitivity except for myself? You are way off thinking that conservatives are insensitive...that's a dumb statement and you sound like Kanye West when you say garbage like that.

And if you think the opinions on this site favors one side, you are very wrong. I actually think there are more democrats and liberals on this site than conservatives. Maybe you need to read through a bunch of threads and you'll see that. Until then, don't call me insensitive.

Anyway...

W.E.B DuBois led a very, very interesting life. The "Souls of Black Folks" was required reading at Colgate, so I like all of my classmates read it.

It's interesting stuff--especially when coupled with other writers from the period who took such a different perspective.

Never, ever take African American Lit. with Philip Richards at Colgate though. The guy fell asleep during his own lectures. :)

I think he means "The Souls of Black Folk"...by W.E.B. Dubois. I took African American History and Survey of African American Lit and African American Poetry in college...and this book always came up. We read part of it and discussed the differences in DuBois's views to those of Booker T. Washington's. Read his "Up From Slavery" for a contrasting view. Very interesting because they believed that African Americans had a totally different role in society.

Yeah, I've discussed this book before, but never read it through. So far its been a really good read though, kinda sad i had to read all the crappy novels in School as opposed to some good non-fiction.

Archived