Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn SportsNation game discussion @ 1:30

wsniper1

Right off the start Matt picks Seatle.

MATT WILLIAMSON

Matt Williamson here. Seattle 27, Washington 10. Let's roll!

Marshall Reff

Can the Redskins take advantage of the Seahawk's weakened secondary enough to pull an upset?

MATT WILLIAMSON

No. Seattle's secondary should also be healthier than it has been in weeks.

Brian(Alex, VA)

Why is no one giving the Redskins a shot at this game? If they shutdown the seahawks O and get anything out of there O they cant lose.

MATT WILLIAMSON

Washington is banged up, fatigued and simply the inferior team on a cross-country road trip.

osh (Philly)

We all know that the Seahawks D isnt the same as the Bucs D, but do you feel like the Skins are going to be able to do anything on offense??

MATT WILLIAMSON

Seattle's D is not in TBay's class and Washington will move the football leaning on Portis and Moss once again.

W (Boston)

Does Washington (or anyone) have the D to shut down the Seattle O line and Shaun Alexander? My guess is no, maybe Carolina/Chicago or NE?

MATT WILLIAMSON

Washington's front seven is playing extremely well and they won't just roll over. Seattle's OL and Alexander are going to produce against everyone they play though, including Chicago and Carolina

Justin (Brick NJ)

Redskins have only been blown out of 1 game all year (against the Giants). Why do you see such a one sided game?

MATT WILLIAMSON

I think Washington will finally hit the wall this week after playing pretty much playoff games for the last month and a half. Joe Gibbs is an outstanding coach, but they are just overmatched in a brutal environment to play.

Drew (Washington, DC)

Wow, Matt. Not much to talk about here, huh. You've pretty much covered it - Washington has no chance. Just out of curiosity, how many times have you picked against the 'Skins in the last 6 weeks?

MATT WILLIAMSON

I picked them over T Bay last week. You shouldn't have missed that chat.

Matthew (Mercer Island, WA)

Can Seattle put pressure on Brunell with it's front four? How much of a factor will Brunell's legs be?

MATT WILLIAMSON

The Hawks will struggle against Washington's OTs, but will get consistent pressure from the interior. Brunell is gutsy and tough, but his knee looks to really be bothering him and his accuracy with a sore plant knee has been an issue.

Matt (Washington, DC)

Don't you think Seattle might be overrated because of the weak schedule they played in the regular season?

MATT WILLIAMSON

Just a bit, but they run the football extremely well, are well coached, have a balanced O, a solid D that can get after the QB and a distinct home field advantage against a tired football team.

Jon, Dallas, TX

Matt, Are either of these two teams good enough to make it to the Super Bowl? Why or why not?

MATT WILLIAMSON

Seattle is the best team in the NFC and playing at home is a huge advantage for them. The NFC Championship will be a close battle between Seattle and Carolina with the Hawks going to the big dance.

Mike Holmgren (Seattle, WA)

Even I can't screw this one up...or can I?

MATT WILLIAMSON

Mike, I think you are in great shape for this game and you have done a tremendous job this season. Keep up the good work and good luck.

Johnson (Arlington, VA)

I'm glad to see that you picked the Skins for TBay. Don't you think that the Skins can shut down the O and put up enough points to win? They are an adapting team. They have scored 52 points on SF and 36 on TB. 35 on NYG and Philly. So even though people say we are inferior, we still put up big numbers and adapt to the team that we are playing...

MATT WILLIAMSON

The Skins do adapt well and much of that credit has to go to Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs. The Skins will always play hard, but I just don't see them pulling this game off.

I'll edit as it goes on.

ric (Seattle)

Who do you think will be the MVP of this game? I have to imagine if the 'Skins put 7 in the box to stop Shaun, Hasselbeck will have a big day, and vice versa...

MATT WILLIAMSON

Alexander is the MVP of this game when it is all said and done. Seattle gets the lead and then feeds their horse RB. Side note: Don't be surprised to see some 3 WR, 1 TE, and Alexander sets to force Washington to dig deep into their depleted secondary.

Matt (Washington, DC)

I know the 'Skins are underdogs, but what do you think would have to happen in order for them to win?

MATT WILLIAMSON

They have to win the turnover battle for sure to be competitive and Portis needs to have a huge game and control the clock. Santana Moss is capable of blowing up and changing any game he plays in.

Side note: Don't be surprised to see some 3 WR, 1 TE, and Alexander sets to force Washington to dig deep into their depleted secondary.

How long are they going to stick with this mantra? Carlos is back, Springs is back, we're virtually back to full strength, not to mention no one has taken advantage of our so-called "depleted secondary." Ah well.

James (Seattle)

Is Washington going to be able to deal with our crowd noise?

MATT WILLIAMSON

It is going to be very loud and many fans don't realize how hard of a place Seattle is to play. It will be an issue, but Brunell and company are a veteran group that should handle it well.

Todd (NYC)

Ok Mr. Expert. Please tell me in what way the Redskins defense is depleted. You do know that literally everyone on the roster is going to play, right? And everyone is perfectly healthy save for Springs, who sat out the Bucs game so he would be in great shape for Seattle.

MATT WILLIAMSON

If Springs doesn't play, their CB depth is a problem. Wynn broke his arm and the Skins' DL depth will be a problem against an elite OL and running game. I think the Redskins are more fatigued than injured and this cross country road trip will expose that fact.

Todd (NYC)

Ok Mr. Expert. Please tell me in what way the Redskins defense is depleted. You do know that literally everyone on the roster is going to play, right? And everyone is perfectly healthy save for Springs, who sat out the Bucs game so he would be in great shape for Seattle.

MATT WILLIAMSON

If Springs doesn't play, their CB depth is a problem. Wynn broke his arm and the Skins' DL depth will be a problem against an elite OL and running game. I think the Redskins are more fatigued than injured and this cross country road trip will expose that fact.

So, are they running to Seattle? :rolleyes:

Chris (Maryland)

Love him or hate him, Sean Taylor will be the MVP of this game. Skins will do everything in their power to keep Alexander from beating them -- 8 or 9 in the box all day -- leaving Taylor to roam the secondary. If he comes up with the big plays, Skins will win a tight, low scoring afair.

MATT WILLIAMSON

Despite the saliva issues, I am a huge fan of Sean Taylor's and he is capable of changing any game he plays in. Washington will need to bring extra defenders into the box to limit Alexander, but Taylor will rarely roam free with all of Seattle's weapons to deal with.

How long are they going to stick with this mantra? Carlos is back, Springs is back, we're virtually back to full strength, not to mention no one has taken advantage of our so-called "depleted secondary." Ah well.

beat me to it.

Our secondary will be the healthiest it has been since... well never, considering Carlos was injured to start the season.

Tony (DC)

Yes Alexander is the MVP, but please answer this question. What is so impressive about Seattle and who have they shown it against?

MATT WILLIAMSON

Seattle doesn't make their schedule or choose who they play. Their division is awful and they have not won a ton of impressive games, but this is what is so impressiveWalter Jones is the best offensive lineman in the game Their OL in general is outstandingAlexander is a stud as notedThe defense is solid, although a shade overratedHome field advantageFresh LegsGood coaching

adam (DC)

As I say, a lot of optimism here in DC. You still haven't answered whether the Skin's offense will move the ball and score w/o a healthy Brunnell.

MATT WILLIAMSON

They will move the ball, especially with Portis. Scoring points might be more difficult. Great year for the Skins.

Brian (DC)

I am not a skins fan, but listening to this defensiveness, it sounds like I'm dealing with the Patriots chat again. Simply put, top to bottom the Redskins will be the second best team on the field this weekend. That doesn't mean that they'll lose, but the Skins offense is bad. I'm with you Matt, although I say it'll be more of a 21-13 game.

MATT WILLIAMSON

You might be the only guy in this chat that agrees with me. Good to have you on board Brian!

blunt (DC)

What weapons does Seattle have? Matt, is talking crazy

MATT WILLIAMSON

Seattle has 4 very solid recieving options and J Stevens is quickly becoming a difference maker that will abuse Ryan Clark.

Eric (Seattle)

Gosh. These DC fans are really taking your well-researched, expert and professional prediction of the game personally. Aren't they?

MATT WILLIAMSON

Sure are, but that is what makes is great. Some of the best fans in the country and they bring up some good points. But their Skins are overmatched in this one.

Krikor (DC)

Matt, do you think Brunnell is 100%? He does not look like it. I am real worried he is going to have another poor performance. What do you think?

MATT WILLIAMSON

He doesn't look 100% to me. He has lost mobility due to his age and his arm isn't what it used to be, but that sore knee on his plant leg is killing his mobility and flexibility.

mattyk72, NY

Hey Matt, see you next week for the Skins NFC Championship Game chat!

MATT WILLIAMSON

We shall see Brother

MATT WILLIAMSON

Catch you all next week as Seattle hosts another playoff game. Take care.

ric (Seattle)

Who do you think will be the MVP of this game? I have to imagine if the 'Skins put 7 in the box to stop Shaun, Hasselbeck will have a big day, and vice versa...

MATT WILLIAMSON

Alexander is the MVP of this game when it is all said and done. Seattle gets the lead and then feeds their horse RB. Side note: Don't be surprised to see some 3 WR, 1 TE, and Alexander sets to force Washington to dig deep into their depleted secondary.

What depleted secondary. If SS starts then we are healthier in the secondary than we have been the entire season. This guy has not given onr valid reason that Seattle will win.

Archived