Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How the HECK to we stop that CRAP across the middle?

smartestmaninamerica

It happened in Philly. It happened in Tampa. Our defense was absolutely awesome - a stone wall - except one thing - THE FRIGGIN MIDDLE!

Pass after pass, third and long after third and long, the slant across the middle is WIDE OPEN for the first down.

My question is, HOW do we stop this? If, God help us we ever get to play Manning or Brady in the Superbowl, they will shred us if that is open.

P.S., Maybe I missed something, but from what I recollect, we HAD ONLY ONE PASS PLAY ACROSS THE MIDDLE (to Cooley) the whole game. So Tampa beat us on almost every down across the middle but it never occurs to us to try it too?

It seems Joe just loves the out routes, but dude, slant patters are golden and Moss truns 'em into 6 on a regular basis.

ill tell you how...

drop our line backers into coverage... instead of blitzing 24/7

cover 2 would stop the quick slants and most curl routes and stuff like that. when marcus washington got that pick simms was passing to the slot reciever on a curl route into the middle... and the ball came right to him

It happened in the Raiders game too. It was because they were playing tampa 2 (on that Porter play) and it looked like they could have been playing something similar against the Eagles and Buccaneers. The Safety's go outside and the Middle Linebacker is stuck covering the entire middle of the field.

It's not really the slants that are getting us, it's more the post/skinny posts, wheel routes, and the in-routes.

The problem with cover 2 though, (as someone else suggested) is that the outside deep corners are wide open and so is the deep ball. A reciever like Galloway could run right pass the coverage on a fly and no one would be deep enough to cover him.

I like Cover 3 better. It covers your outsides as well as the deep middle, plus it takes care of the underneath by dropping the middle linebacker in zone, and then having the OLBs do a outside zone with the CBs covering deep and the Safety's over top.

That or as suggested in the post above, jam 'em hard at the line of scrimage man to man with the saftey's playing over top. It's when we get caught blitzing that it can burn us.

I'd rather let them move with 5 - 15 yarders down the middle than give up a 45 yarder ... with our boys up front putting their hands up every play, it gives us a better chance of making something happen ...

I don't know if this was the same as the Philly/Oakland games ... I wouldn't be surprised if GW planned on them doing this, and thought it was a small price to pay to take away the deep ball.

HAIL

I'd rather let them move with 5 - 15 yarders down the middle than give up a 45 yarder ... with our boys up front putting their hands up every play, it gives us a better chance of making something happen ...

I don't know if this was the same as the Philly/Oakland games ... I wouldn't be surprised if GW planned on them doing this, and thought it was a small price to pay to take away the deep ball.

HAIL

To be fair, Simms was passing extremely well on those slants. Many of them came in low with the receivers sliding to the ground for the ball. I don't care how good your coverage is, you can't defend a perfect pass very often.

I think this has more to do with Springs' injury and then absence. We are playing more zone and more conservative coverages to mitigate the fact that we are down in the secondary and wounded. Hopefully, Springs comes back this week and that should help.

HAIL

Bingo. Williams said several times last week that we were beat four times over the top in the first meeting with Tampa and that he wanted to prevent that from happening again. It was a "pick your poison" scenario and luckliy we picked the poison that didn't kill us.

Archived