Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else not worried about our secondary at all?...

TeddyKGB

I for one think that losing Springs this week yet regaining Rogers is almost a wash as most know that Rogers was coming on strong before he got hurt. With S. Taylor back as well for this game I look at it like we are stronger in our secondary for this game then we were the first time we played Tampa, plus with Cgriff and Daniels coming on we will be able to pressure Simms a lot more then our first game. I just don't understand why so many people are freaking out about it other then just a depth issue, especially Tampa fans.

Also Ade "toast" Jimoh has actually played well when hes gotten a chance the last few games, with Pierson and Stoutmire also playing decent in patches. I feel much more confident about our Defense this game.

i am a little. i don't think they will beat us by throwing the ball all day. but they could move the ball in the air well enough to keep us honest.

i really don't see either team putting on an offensive showcase. i expect both offenses to play it close early and hope their defense or special teams can make a play or shift field position. i think both teams think they can beat the other so no one is going to come out the bag unless there's a big momentum shift.

I just think if you notice that the last 2-3 weeks that springs has been hurt, he still plays well between 5-20 yards, but hes vunerable on the deep throws ( both of Browns TD's last week ).

Last time we played then it was Ryan Clark's first game back and he pretty much had to anchor the deep secondary, I think now him being strong and ST being the beast that he is, I just think we have an answer for all the threats they have on offense. Rogers on Galloway, Harris/Jimoh on Sheppard/Hilliard Clark and LBs helping with Alex smith and their guy Edell and The Grim Reaper(#21) all over the field I feel real good, not even counting our front 4 penetrating.

Only way I see us getting beat deep again is if Taylors coming on a blitz and he gets picked up leaving someone else in the deep zone...

maybe macmahon just played a decent game?

people still don't acknowledge that maybe the eagles weren't as crappy as "we" thought they'd be.

in any case, back to the CB situation. Jimoh has improved, Rogers is back, and between them, Sean Taylor being back (as opposed to the 1st Bucs game), and a healthy D line, I think we have a good shot and really messing with the Buc's rhythm on offense.

again, it all comes back to whether or not you can pressure the qb. if you can't, you can expect to get beat in the passing game. someone mentioned this a while back, and i think it holds true - you could have a million darrell greens playing their best game, but if your D line can't get to the qb, you are eventually going to get beat.

Hopefully, things will be OK in the secondary. I hope Walt Harris improves his game when we need it the most tomorrow in Tampa. Last time, he got often burned by the Tampa receivers, including Edell Shepherd for a TD. Honestly, I hope Walt plays better in this rematch playoff game against the Bucs.

McMahon mainly lit up Springs on the deep ball while he was limping half the game around. Like I said I feel better with a fully healthy Rogers then Springs having to take Cortisol Shots between plays.

Suprisingly we started to totally shut down the philly offense when springs was finally out with jimoh and stoutmire in. Id rather have a 100% ok corner then a 55% great corner.

Like our other fans have posted...it all starts up front and we are the healthiest...and hungriest there that we've been all year. Although Shawn was a warrior last week, you could see he just couldn't push off, cut or have any acceleration. I wasn't sold on him as a free agent but he's proved he's a real Redskin so we'll miss him if he can't play. Guys on the first two levels will need to step up!

I can't wait til game time!!!

Remember we felt this same way before the last Dallas game with Bledsoe looking good and at one point on Tues or Wed it looked like Harris, Rogers and Springs could be out.

Turns out the D-line did well enough it didn't matter if the guys were a bit hobbled. Hopefully this week will be the same.

Ill say this.

Ryan Clark

Sean Taylor

Shawn Springs

Carlos Rogers

People think are secondary is weak, let them think that, we may not be the strongest secondary in the league but we dont give big play after big play up when they are all together. four top 10 drafted defensive backs in that secondary by the way including Walt Harris and i might be missing some others.

Are you guys forgetting how Mike freakin' McMahon tore us apart for most of the game last week with Springs and Taylor?

I think this was due to our D coaches underestimating McMahon. They adjusted in the second half, applied heat and the rest is history.

If you recall, we played Simms way too soft in our regular season game and payed for it. Simms had only started several games and was in due to the injury to Greise(sp). I'm sure GW will take a different approach

this time and pressure that creep(I call him creep just 'cause his daddy whipped us a couple times in important games) :laugh:

In my opinion, the D and special teams sets the tempo. The O just picks up the scraps the D and ST has given us and takes it to the house. Field position is a monster, especially in playoff games.

That being said, if we are behind in the final minutes of a half or the end of the game, that's where the O has to take over the game, drive the field and score. That's my :2cents:

Secondary will be fine IF we dont blitz 80% of the game like we did against Phily. I sware alot of those 3rd down conversions and long passes came only because we blitzed the corners and safeties and didnt get pressure quick enough to the QB. Tampa will max protect so we need to just beat somebody on the line and stop trying to outnumber them on the line by blitzing all the time. Blitzing 60% of the time this game is enough but we cant leave our corners ono islands as we did last game.

Archived