Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Outside View On Playoff Game.....

Number5

First let me give you guys my score, then I'll explain......

17-14 Skins......

Mark Brunnell will struggle for most of the game as I see it playing out like the first Dallas game for you guys. The Skins have in my eyes 3 things working in their favor (1) Clinton Portis (2) Santana Moss (3) Gregg Williams.

Portis factor - Off all the Redskins players on the team, this the player who Tampa Bay should pay the most attention to. After watching him play against the Eagles this past week, of all the weapons Gibbs has, he is the one who runs the ship. His running leads to the play action, he is a threat out of the backfield receiving and the guy can block as well. With Tampa playing a Cover 2 zone, I'd look for Portis to be roaming free all day in the flat especially with Brooks probably playing man on Cooley.

Moss factor - If Portis has success running early, Tampa will creep its safeties up closer to the line of scrimage...that's when Santana becomes a factor. Brunnell showed me that he can throw a deep ball if given time to. The one thing that kills Cover 2 defenses is speed and Moss has plenty of that. I look for him to exploit the sidelines often with at first quick hitch routes, then later with the hitch and go pattern off of play action.

Williams factor - In Eagles country, we used to say, " A young QB makes for a good meal..." Simms is starting in his first playoff game and he just happens to go against the most blitz happy defense this side of the Philadelphia. Williams will attempt to disrupt the timing of the Tampa Offense with run and pass blitzes probably bring the house at any given moment. He must contain the Caddy which I'm sure he will and he has Taylor back there to make sure Joey G. and company don't run too free. If given time Simms can be an effective WCO QB, but this is the playoffs and other that Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, I don't see any QB given time this year.

Stats Projection -

Portis 29 Carries 115 yards 2 TD

Moss 5 Catches 89 yards 17.8 ypc

Arrington 9 Tackles 1.5 sacks

Taylor 11 Tackles 3 PD 1 Int...but one bone headed penalty (probably either a late hit or a PI)

All in all, you guys should win a close one where Gibbs uses his ball control offense to burn the fuel left in the Caddy before he can step back on the field.

Good luck and I prey that I'm some what right.....

N5

Little difficult for someone with > 2K posts to characterize himself as an "outsider".

Looks more like a case of someone with NO football of his own to discuss for 8 more months... :silly:

BUT, we'll take positive vibes from anywhere at this point. Danke!

Cheers,

CLBinMD

Looks more like a case of someone with NO football of his own to discuss for 8 more months... :silly:

CLBinMD

That was uncalled for. It is a welcome addition to have someone from another team giving praise to ours. Most are just angry foolish trolls, so I look forward to reading posts like this instead. :applause:

:bucsuck: :point2sky

17-14 Skins......

Mark Brunnell will struggle for most of the game as I see it playing out like the first Dallas game for you guys.

N5

I hope the first part is true, and I REALLY HOPE the part about MB is not ... :doh:

He has to come out at least someone sharp, a Philly like performance might be to much to overcome ...

Good insight.....I think it's really as simplistic as 2 real factors...Williams defense for the Skins and Simms first playoff experience....this spells the BUCS ship taking on water and the Skins win by a touchdown...I feel the game will be close but the end score will be greater than a field goal

That was uncalled for.

If no one calls for it in 30 days, Aghar, it's yours...

Lighten up! If he's survived here for 2k posts that means he's got it together enough to know it's a little (just a little) good-natured ribbing that ends on a upbeat note. Danke is German for "Thanks!" if that's over your head.....

Cheers,

CLBinMD

Lighten up! If he's survived here for 2k posts that means he's got it together enough to know it's a little (just a little) good-natured ribbing that ends on a upbeat note. Danke is German for "Thanks!" if that's over your head.....

Cheers,

CLBinMD

It's all good..... :cheers:

Cheers,

CLBinMD

Ok, point taken. :applause:

:bucsuck: :point2sky

Nice analysis.... 1 thing you forgot, that alot of people are forgetting about is our O-line. These guys for the past 4 weeks have been playing on a whole new level... I think what these guys have done have had direct impact on our 5-win run...

It's a pleasure to hear from someone who is a fan of a rival who has such a good attitude. I hope you're right about a Redskins victory. I think most of us here realize that we might not be where we are if the Eagles hadn't had so many problems this season. So, I hope we're staying humble yet determined to represent the NFC East well in the playoffs. Also, I have a few comments on your predictions.

17-14 Skins......

Mark Brunnell will struggle for most of the game as I see it playing out like the first Dallas game for you guys. The Skins have in my eyes 3 things working in their favor (1) Clinton Portis (2) Santana Moss (3) Gregg Williams.

Portis factor - Off all the Redskins players on the team, this the player who Tampa Bay should pay the most attention to. After watching him play against the Eagles this past week, of all the weapons Gibbs has, he is the one who runs the ship. His running leads to the play action, he is a threat out of the backfield receiving and the guy can block as well. With Tampa playing a Cover 2 zone, I'd look for Portis to be roaming free all day in the flat especially with Brooks probably playing man on Cooley.

They haven't thrown much to Portis, so I'm not looking for much of that. They might sneak Sellers out on a pattern or two. Brooks can probably play Cooley as well as any LB but after Cooley fussed about not getting the ball last week I think they'll try to go to him a little more this week.

Moss factor - If Portis has success running early, Tampa will creep its safeties up closer to the line of scrimage...that's when Santana becomes a factor. Brunnell showed me that he can throw a deep ball if given time to. The one thing that kills Cover 2 defenses is speed and Moss has plenty of that. I look for him to exploit the sidelines often with at first quick hitch routes, then later with the hitch and go pattern off of play action.

You've been paying attention. That is the Gibbs style of play.

Williams factor - In Eagles country, we used to say, " A young QB makes for a good meal..." Simms is starting in his first playoff game and he just happens to go against the most blitz happy defense this side of the Philadelphia. Williams will attempt to disrupt the timing of the Tampa Offense with run and pass blitzes probably bring the house at any given moment. He must contain the Caddy which I'm sure he will and he has Taylor back there to make sure Joey G. and company don't run too free. If given time Simms can be an effective WCO QB, but this is the playoffs and other that Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, I don't see any QB given time this year.

Stats Projection -

Portis 29 Carries 115 yards 2 TD

Moss 5 Catches 89 yards 17.8 ypc

Arrington 9 Tackles 1.5 sacks

Taylor 11 Tackles 3 PD 1 Int...but one bone headed penalty (probably either a late hit or a PI)

All in all, you guys should win a close one where Gibbs uses his ball control offense to burn the fuel left in the Caddy before he can step back on the field.

Good luck and I prey that I'm some what right.....

N5

Archived