Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: DNA Testing Ordered on Executed Man

HOF44

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/05/AR2006010501597.html

DNA Testing Ordered on Executed Man

By Maria Glod and Michael D. Shear

Washington Post Staff Writers

Thursday, January 5, 2006; 6:48 PM

Virginia Gov. Mark R. Warner (D) has ordered DNA testing that could prove the guilt or innocence of a man executed in 1992, marking the first time a governor has asked for genetic testing of someone already put to death.

Guest Gichin13

Interesting move by Warner. I applaud his use of testing thus far that has resulted in several innocent people being released from jail. Can you imagine sitting in jail convicted of a rape or murder you did not commit for 20 years, let alone getting the chair?

This is an outrage! All Virginia conservatives must rise up and battle this travashamockery, considering that they have been opposing this stuff for 8 years! Virginians don't need no fancy, big-city DNA testing...

:laugh:

We'll see what comes out of this, sooner rather than later, hopefully.

:laugh:

We'll see what comes out of this, sooner rather than later, hopefully.

Oh God, I remember back in high school I would read this awful pamphlets about guys trying to have DNA evidence used to exonorate them, and the Repubs fighting the move claw, tooth, and nail. Then bam, six years later the SAME person in my pamphlet gets released, while I frolicked in college. Six years of his life were stolen, and even a punk kid like me knew that DNA evidence should have been used way earlier. At leats he is out.

I remember this case. The day after the guy was executed, there was a report in some local newspaper (Loudoun Times Mirror, Leesburg Today or one of the Winchester rags) that a person had called the paper and admitted that HE was the real criminal.

Good for Warner for doing this. I hope it leads to less exec utions and eventually stopping the use of Cap Punishment.

I'm curious.....

It will be interesting to see the type of media coverage this gets when the results come in - favorable or unfavorable....

It will get a lot of coverage, either way, because there are loud voices on each side of the capital punishment debate who will trumpet the result if it "favors" their point of view.

Archived