Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post (Orwellian Big Brother?)

kaffeen

Try to get a fix on some Skins football and I reluctantly go to the Post this morning. I despise their pop ups (I know, I can get software for this)......

It turns out now they want demographic information about me in order to access the sports page......&*!@%!!!

I'm sure their argument is they want the website to remain free, but I just see them wanting to line their pockets at my expense (and give me tons of spam/pop ups in the process). I can't believe that a newspaper, especially with the reputation the Post has had, is not going to respect the privacy of their readers.

I refuse to give them any information about me and attempt to track my web movement.

Beware, the post is watching you.

Well, they aren't asking for your name or address, and you can always give them fake answers to the questions they DID ask (which is what I did.)

I was rather annoying though. It's one thing to ask for info. It's another to refuse access until you get it.

You could give false information, but that is not always a solution.

If you do not have a static IP (and even then) when you visit other sites where you have registered with valid information (including your email) then there are ways they can match your IP with your true identity/web movement (i.e. doubleclick, mailing lists, et al).

At the very least they *can* track your web movement. In order for you to visit *any* website, your computer gives the server access to your computer. Right now if you are reading this, Extremeskins has access to your computer. Obviously, they are not going to do anything malicious so don't fret, but the possibility is there. Every website has a log of you visiting, keep that in mind.

This type of demographic tracking is becoming all to common on the internet <sigh>.

The POst makes money by selling advertisments. So far as I know, this is the only way they can get demographic information used to sell advertisments on their website. When they go to sell the advertisments on the sports page, they need to be able to say we get X number of people in the demographic the advertisers are trying to reach. I don't begrudge the post this info. I like a free newspaper that I don't have to throw away when I am done. Excellent. IF that means I have to give more information so that there is an increased chance ads will interest me, I'm okay with that.

Well, each their own......but you guys that don't mind giving away your privacy to a corrupt newsconglomerate (slightly kidding), can you post the articles here?

It's an ethical issue for me and I'm stubborn as hell, so I will just come here and view the posts of the post. Thanks in advance.

We wouldn't have this problem if the newspapers had been smart enough to charge for online news in the first place.

I don't want to see newspapers go out of business, but I can't see the point in buying a paper version, reading 15% of it, then throwing it away 365 days a year. It's senseless for ephemeral information.

Ditto for computer manuals and college textbooks.

Archived