Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Brunell Retire?

#1SkinsFan

I mean this season has been a great success for this entire organization and especially Brunell. He had a career high in TDS, and helped out this offense a whole lot more than he did last year. He lead this team to the playoffs for the first time in now 7 years, and proved he can still be an effective NFL QB.

So, do you guys think he will retire after this season, and the QB position will be handed down to Campbell.

I mean this season has been a great success for this entire organization and especially Brunell. He had a career high in TDS, and helped out this offense a whole lot more than he did last year. He lead this team to the playoffs for the first time in now 7 years, and proved he can still be an effective NFL QB.

So, do you guys think he will retire after this season, and the QB position will be handed down to Campbell.

You said it youeself. He can still be an effective QB in the NFL. Why should he retire???

his numbers were almost good enough to make the pro bowl this year. And, now that we are finally getting our running game going in full force, his role to lead us to a win is going to get smaller as time goes by. he will only have to throw the ball 25 times or so, which is not to much to ask for out of anyone. I think he should one more good year in, and then retire after that season.

also, i think that he might restructure his contract this offseason to help the team in there accusations

Mark Brunell is not finished by a longshot. Starbach, Stabler, Young, Marino, and I believe Elway all played well beyond their 35th birthdays. I don't expect Brunell to stay for the duration of his 7 year contract, and if he does, he'll be the one to back up Jason Campbell when the time is right. Right now, the Redskins haven't crossed that bridge.

I don't think he should retire, he should compete for the starting job with Campbell in training camp next year, and be a backup if he must.

I see no reason for him to retire, he looks GREAT.

I've never been a fan of Brunell. However, he's done what any Redskin fan could hope for, he led us to the playoffs (or at least didn't prevent us from getting there). I think he's a good guy, no doubt in about that. I just don't think he's playing as "great" as so many want to believe. Did he do what Ramsey could never do (take us to the playoffs)? Is he better than Ramsey? Debatable topics and impossible to answer. I think we should take this one step at a time. I agree with JHair… but would like to add Ramsey in the mix of the competition (if he’s still here of course). I'd like to see Brunell start off the next season and have Campbell succeed him that season.

I think I would have understood the question had he not improved so much in the system. I think the best situation for Jason Campbell is to learn the Gibbs system, and learn from Mark Brunell on how to handle an offense. I think the biggest improvement in Brunell this year is his ability to know when to get rid of the ball and avoid sacks and fumbles. I will be totally honest, when we were 5-6, I would have agreed about the retirement, but now he is at his best, he has a couple more years left in him.

The other issue with the offense has been Clinton Portis' adaptation to the Gibbs offensive philosophy, and learn to wait and read the defense before making his cuts. He has saved Mark Brunells season, and career as far as I am concerned.

Archived