Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DFW: Cowboys could lose several vets on defense

goldenster95

If the 'Boys lose all these vets and have Parcells take off on them, this really could get ugly and spin the Boys into a tailspin, especially if Parcells delays announcing his decision to bolt.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/13533685.htm

Some veterans could retire or work elsewhere

By RICK HERRIN

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING - Coach Bill Parcells isn't the only one with an uncertain future in Dallas.

While Parcells' future remains unclear with the possibility of his retirement, some of the Cowboys' longtime cornerstones could be in different cities or out of football next season.

Defensive veterans Greg Ellis, La'Roi Glover, Dat Nguyen and Al Singleton might soon become ex-Cowboys.

Ellis believes he will not likely return next season.

"I think I won't be here," Ellis said. "Obviously it's not going to be good for me to stay here."

Ellis' worst fears came true this season with Parcells' decision to move to a new defense. The 1998 first-round draft pick thought he would be phased out in the 3-4 defensive scheme, suited for bigger ends. Although Ellis' playing time increased the last two games of the season, he lost his starting job at one point, along with Glover at defensive tackle.

Ellis was on a career sack pace at one point, but finished with eight -- none in the last five games.

He has a $500,000 roster bonus, and had he reached 10 sacks he would have earned a $250,000 bonus.

Glover has a $1.5 million roster bonus. With diminished playing time for Ellis and Glover, the Cowboys would be spending big money on part-time players.

"None whatsoever," said Glover when asked if he was worried about his future.

For Nguyen, who played just eight games this season, his career could be over.

Parcells said earlier this season seven-year veteran was considering retirement. Nguyen suffered a neck strain and knee injury that led to being placed on injured reserve Nov. 28.

Singleton, who missed eight games on injured reserve, might not return after coming off a season-ending injury. He suffered a broken collarbone against Arizona on Oct. 30. Singleton, slated to make $2.17 million next season, has been a quietly solid player for Parcells but was effectively replaced by Scott Fujita.

Fujita, who just finished his fourth year, is a younger player and produced some big plays, including the game-changing sack and forced fumble against Kansas City.

Dan Campbell, regarded as one of the top blocking tight ends in the league, is also a free agent. He has been a valuable locker room presence and veteran leader for Parcells.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick Herrin, (817) 390-7760 rickherrin@star-telegram.com

Write it down. If Parcells retires, we will sweep the cowboys again next season.

Parcells has gotten the most out of average talent in Dallas. Bledsoe will sink faster than the Titanic without Parcells on the sideline.

*edit*

wonder if we would look at Dan Campbell?

Also, wonder who would be the cowboys new head coach? Gary Payton maybe?

• 4 weeks later...
Gary Payton?? :laugh: :laugh: That would be awesome

If you mean Sean Payton... didn't he get a head coaching job?

Haha yeah I think he meant Sean. But hes now the coach of the Saints, so that aint happening.

I dont think Parcells is leaving yet anyway though.

Archived