Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official "thank you Joe Gibbs" thread

jauburn

Back in 91 during game parties at my house, most people were content to periodically just check on the score by saying" How much are we ahead by now?" I loved those days just as much as I loved the Dallas "sweep" this year! I can't say Thank You enough, for so many years of excellence as our coach. P.S. It seems you handle NASCAR teams just like football teams by bringing out thier best, Thanks again COACH !

Those who said that the game had passed by Joe Gibbs were completely unable to understand that the things that make a true leader and a winner do not go out of style. They do not change as the X's and O's change. Sure, Gibbs may have had to catch up with the X's and O's of today, but he has that much more important quality that can't be learned: a leader and an inspiration and a role model, someone who has the right combination of discipline and leadership and LOVE that make players want to rally around him.

Those qualities will never be lost in a person. Gibbs has them now as much, if not more, than ever.

I believe Gibbs will go down as the best coach in NFL history, topping even Lombardi.

With Gibbs, this team truly does have a chance to go the distance. Make no mistake: the success this year is thanks to Gibbs, his leadership, his inspiration, his ability to get the most out of his players.

Thanks for returning to the Redskins and for returning the Redskins to winners.

Of course you know that you are spoiling us. We are going to expect winning teams and any coach who comes after you will have a very difficult time living up to the standard you have set. But for now I won't worry about what might happen in the future. I am so very happy that my team is back to being a winner.

THANK YOU JOE GIBBS you are an amazing coach and have proven that. there were quite a few people on here and i'll admit for awhile i was one of them that thought the coaching was a bit to conservative but you have taught the players to play hardnose smash mouth football joe gibbs style and you've turned this team around. You are THE redskin and i appreciate as well as everyone else on here. Way to prove everyone that didnt believe and the media wrong

Joe,

I have been a diehard skins fan for 25 years. Thank You for coming back and rebuilding this team. Thank you for fixing a team that has been broken for damn near 15 years. Thank you for restoring my beloved redskins. On to the playoffs and to glory:-)

Bill Foster

Mr. Gibbs is a outstanding individual who is driven by a challenge!!! He is a "Hall of Famer" who is the only coach in NFL history to win 3 SuperBowls with 3 different QBs!!!

He truely had nothing to prove!!! He had succeeded at the HIGHEST level!!! Yet, he comes back to DC and take over a team which as basically done nothing since he left...

In two short years, we have a shot at making the playoffs with a team that play with alot of heart and character!!!

We beat Philly in Philly and we are in the Playoffs!!!

Mr. Gibbs has done an outstanding job!!! Gibbs should have gotten some love for coach of the year this season!!!

Take of your hats.... Mr. Gibbs just walked into the room!!!

Take a team that has:

- had one trip to the playoffs in over a decade.

- lost 12 of 13 games to their biggest rival ... often when that rival fielded inferior teams.

- had no consistency

- forgot how to win

Now, turn that circus around and infuse life, competitiveness and respect to the once-proud organization again. And, if you please, do it in less than 2 seasons.

Thank you ideed.

Not to mention, the questionable calls in the Denver, Oakland and Tampa games. The Skins should be in the playoffs already as Division Champs. When Parcells went to Dallas, Jerry Jones must have figured he pulled off the deal of the century. And then Joe Gibbs came back. I would love to have been a fly on the wall in Jones' office... " DOH"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I remember when Spurrier called it quits. Talk about low...the organization was in disarray, the laughingstock of the league. Even with a good coach, it looked like it was going to be years before the Redskins were competitive again. I remember hoping for Dennis Green.

Then they announced the hiring of Joe Gibbs. I remember where I was exactly...driving home on 695, listening to SportsCenter on ESPN Radio. I just screamed "Yes! Yes! Yes!" for about 5 minutes straight.

I caught the very tail end of Gibbs I. The first season I really followed football was 1991 (which unfortunately left me with the impression that that was how it was going to be every year). Of course, for that one year of glory I've suffered, as have the rest of you, through a decade and a half of mediocrity, and that was in the good years. As Boswell pointed out earlier this season, this team hasn't been average since Joe Gibbs left, it's been right down there with the drregs of the League. Watching the Redskins was like watching someone trying to stop a dam from bursting. Every time a hole was plugged up, 4 others would burst open. Deion Sanders, Brett Conway, Heath Schuler, Mike Westbrook, Jeff George, Tony Banks, Dan Wilkenson, Norv Turner, Steve Spurrier, Danny Wuerffel, Shane Matthews - it seemed like everything that could have possibly gone wrong did.

Joe Gibbs comes back, and, allowing for one season to get back into the swing of things, turns it all around, just like that.

Thank you coach, for making our team good again.

Those of us old enough to remember the Beatles in the 60s remember what it was like wishing they'd get back together.

The disappointment of that not happening made us refuse to believe in miracles of that nature any longer.

But then Joe Gibbs come back. I remember where I was when I saw it in the Post. I couldn't believe my eyes. The guys from down the hall came running into my office about 10 minutes later, and we spent the next half hour in mutual astonishment and joy. The was indeed what we all REALLY wanted when looking for this coach or that, not one of them ever living up in any way to the MAN coach Gibbs is.

Gibbs is the General Patton of the sidelines. He is the Clint Eastwood of football. Steely-eyed, pursed lipped Terminator whispering, "go ahead, make my day."

Just imagine how this man will go down in history if he wins another handful of super bowls.

Archived