Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Annoying habit of Portis....

desertfox59

I think most people KNOW how to play football. You are not special in that category. I am well aware a player keeps the ball in the hand away from the defender.

MY point was if Joe Gibbs is not sitting CP's butt on the bench for the way he carries the ball, then who are you or who am I or who are we to tell him how to do it.

Blondie

I never said to sit portis.....ever.....! I mearly commented on something that he should do to make himself better! The very first line of my post was "I love Clinton Portis." But that doesn't mean I am going to give him a pass for doing things dangerously.

Oh and who am I? I am someone who understands the fundamentals of the Running back position.....Did you read the post you Quoted?:)

Look I love Portis...he's awsome but the guy is a pro running back and he doesn't put the football in the proper hand when he is running. The other day on his touchdown run he was running left but carrying the ball with his right arm, his inside arm...! NO! NO! NO! put that ball in the outside arm..keep it away from the defense...that is just basics....jeez..

GO Skins!

:doh:

Skins have won 4 straight, Portis has rushed for over 100 each game, Portis is 29 yards from setting the all-time record for yards in a year for a Skin...

Why oh why do we have to have such negative fans on this site???

Look I love Portis...he's awsome but the guy is a pro running back and he doesn't put the football in the proper hand when he is running. The other day on his touchdown run he was running left but carrying the ball with his right arm, his inside arm...! NO! NO! NO! put that ball in the outside arm..keep it away from the defense...that is just basics....jeez..

GO Skins!

are you friggin kidding me????? lets complain about the way a guy is carrying the football, even tho he is about to break our franchises sinngle season record....i mean come on, lets toss you back there and watch you rack up a few yards but show us the proper way to carry it

When Portis has carried the ball 4,000 times and still is under 1% I'll say o.k. forget the fundementals...do it your way....it's working.....Until that time Put the Ball in the correct arm!

Yeah, BOY!!!! That Portis is a REAL LOSER. Because some day he MIGHT get over 1% fumbles, because an expert Redskin fan says he isn't carrying the ball right.

Well actually, that isn't the ONLY reason he is a loser. He has proven to be a wimp. He is a natural cutback runner. So after a year under Gibbs, he realizes Gibbs does not want him to be used that way, so what does he do??? He bulks up, never complains, and gives his all for the team. LOSER. Why can't he be more like T.O.

Some posts on here are WAY out there... :doh:

He is right, a back should always switch the ball to the other hand. Either for stiff arm purposes or to protect the ball.

That being said I believe its a bad idea to change running style at this point of his career. Historically running backs struggle when they switch the way they carry the ball.

Julius Jones ran the ball with two hands for the most part of this season when hitting the line of scrimage. Last game he reverted back to his 04 style where he secured it with one hand. It looked like he just had more balance and more explosiveness.

Tiki also had a bit of trouble when he adjusted his carrying style and he had the entire offseason to work on it.

Unless a back exhibits a consistent tendancy to fumble the ball leave it as is, he'll end losing more balls in the act of switching hands. Maybe its something to work on in the offseason but dont mess with something that works.

I never said to sit portis.....ever.....! I mearly commented on something that he should do to make himself better! The very first line of my post was "I love Clinton Portis." But that doesn't mean I am going to give him a pass for doing things dangerously.

Oh and who am I? I am someone who understands the fundamentals of the Running back position.....Did you read the post you Quoted?:)

Yes dear, I did read it.

And whether you "give him a pass" is......well.....really not yours to give.

And, may I say again....I am well aware of the game of football......and the running back position in particular.

Just a question. Have you played that position? Beyond high school?

Oh, and did you read my post? I didn't specifically ask who you were. That was what is called a rhetorical question.

Blondie

Well....yes... it is proper "form" to carry the ball on the "correct" side.. away from the defender..... point taken.

If Portis is carrying "wrong side"... has the ball popped-out and loses a fumble, then by all means, return here and proclaim.... "nya, nya.... I told you so"

Portis appears to be "in a groove" now, so for now I'll depend on his abilities as a professional NFL running back to get the job done as he and his coaches see fit.

Corry dillon = overrated

Emmit Smith = Massively overrated

WALTER PAYTON = The greatest running back of all time so I'll only reply to this example. Yes Payton used to carry the ball in his palm however, Payton only did that in the open field and he only did that with the correct arm and further more whenever anyone came near him he would either tuck it away or he was out of bounds so it didn't matter

I agree. Sweetness was the best.

Well let me explain it to you....

People, many people call Emmit Smith the best running back of all time...since I can think of at least three off the top of my head who were better (Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown) I would call that massivally overrated...I never said he wasn't good, in fact he is one of the better backs to play this game. But if you think you can compare ES to WP in any area but total career yardage....then you sir are a MORON.

Yep right again. Had Walter had Emmitts line he would have had 25k yds.

This is a myth. I thought the same thing until I went to penn state football camp. At big schools like that they tell you never to switch hands with the ball. That was part of Tiki Barbers problem. Now he keeps it higher and more upright. His fumbling problem is no more.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never sir, Never did I say to switch hands. I said to put it into the proper arm. in this case the left arm. he was running left of the center that means the defense would be comming right to left. When first decided to take one of his arms off the ball it should have been his right.

I guarantee you that at big schools, small schools, medium sized schools across the country that they tell you to put the ball away from the defense once you remove your other arm from the ball after the hand off. this is no myth

the only myth here is that you know what you are talking about. :silly:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never sir, Never did I say to switch hands. I said to put it into the proper arm. in this case the left arm. he was running left of the center that means the defense would be comming right to left. When first decided to take one of his arms off the ball it should have been his right.

I guarantee you that at big schools, small schools, medium sized schools across the country that they tell you to put the ball away from the defense once you remove your other arm from the ball after the hand off. this is no myth

the only myth here is that you know what you are talking about. :silly:

Feel free to consider the fact that Clinton Portis is a professional running back and Ernest Byner, his position coach, had a very successful career doing the same thing. I think its safe to assume that both of them are well versed in the fundamentals of the game, including the one fundamental you are currently pointing out.

What I'm trying to say here is that they are well aware of the fundamental, so clearly they have chosen not to obide by it and chosen so for a reason. I would suspect that Portis feels more comfortable with what he is doing and Byner is cool with it as long as Portis isnt fumbling as a result of it.

For now, I'd say Portis deserves the benefit of the doubt. He has no fumbling issues. Lets not start looking for problems where they don't exist. It isnt that rare for professional athletes to do unconventional things because it is within their comfort zone.

oh dear God, if Portis fumbles, we will never hear the end of it from this guy.......we all know that you put the ball in the proper arm, everyone knows that........but the dude has racked up almost 6,000 yards in 4 seasons.......I don't believe, if you want to prioritize concerns in the redskins game, that this is even something to talk about.......STOP WORRYING!!!

HAIL TO THE

FRIGGIN

REDSKINS!!!!

Yes dear, I did read it.

And whether you "give him a pass" is......well.....really not yours to give.

And, may I say again....I am well aware of the game of football......and the running back position in particular.

Just a question. Have you played that position? Beyond high school?

Oh, and did you read my post? I didn't specifically ask who you were. That was what is called a rhetorical question.

Blondie

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Look Blondie,

In regards to the "pass", I think it is your duty and mine as fans of our beloved skins to point out possible flaws and dangers. We should ask for perfection from our players as they should ask it of themselves. Is it not more dangerous for the ball to be on the defensive side of your body when you are running instead of the sideline side? Since you are "well aware...of the running back position in particular." you should know this.

oh and speaking of your knowledge...I just have one question for you...

Did you ever play the position past highschool? this is not a rhetorical question....you can go ahead and answer it.

Portis is one of the best backs in the leaque...that doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws. I think he is a young man who could listen to these things and learn from them, but you want to treat him like a little baby who can't listen to any advice no matter how logical or sound because it might hurt his delicate senseabilities. That is the soft bigotry of low expectations that I was talking about. You go on treating him like a baby....I'll treat him like a man.

Portis, man to man... your doing a fantistic job. You 're running hard. You're blocking well. Put the ball in the sideline arm, And Keep going.

oh and yes and yes.

:eaglesuck

Feel free to consider the fact that Clinton Portis is a professional running back and Ernest Byner, his position coach, had a very successful career doing the same thing. I think its safe to assume that both of them are well versed in the fundamentals of the game, including the one fundamental you are currently pointing out.

What I'm trying to say here is that they are well aware of the fundamental, so clearly they have chosen not to obide by it and chosen so for a reason. I would suspect that Portis feels more comfortable with what he is doing and Byner is cool with it as long as Portis isnt fumbling as a result of it.

For now, I'd say Portis deserves the benefit of the doubt. He has no fumbling issues. Lets not start looking for problems where they don't exist. It isnt that rare for professional athletes to do unconventional things because it is within their comfort zone.

:applause:

This is the most sensible reply so far. you may be right. I don't think portis has fumbling issues. I'm not trying to be hard on him....I think he's awsome. You are right there might be a perfectly legit reason for this, injury to left hand, or weaker left arm, or even comfort zone, ect.

but I would caution you against thinking that because these people are pro's that they dont make mistakes or miss little things.

It is amazing to me that people can second guess play calling and critique coaching and QB decisions but when it comes to the basics of the game we must bow to the wisdom of those same coaches. If anything we should question those fundementals and give them a pass on the higher more intricate aspects of the game like play calling and QB decisions.

I think that Pros sometimes forget these little things because they have so much to think about and do. Is it so bad that a lowely little skins fan who loves this team is posting about the little things that might help them or get them focused on the fundementals again?

I think Byner was a great back, but correct me if i'm wrong didn't he fumble more than 1% of the time? Not sure of this but it might possibly show his vunerablity as a coach. all in all good post Jpark.

GO Skins!

Portis doesn't do this all the time and there is actually a reason why he did it.. Might not be a good reason but anyway.. He was thinking about the endzone before he rounded the corner. He keeps it in his right hand incase he has to go out of bounds near the goal line, the ball will still break the plane of the endzone. If it's in his left arm, it goes out of bounds at the 1 inch line =(.

I agree with you, having been a running back myself that sort of thing is first day stuff. I'm sure he knows that.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Look Blondie,

In regards to the "pass", I think it is your duty and mine as fans of our beloved skins to point out possible flaws and dangers. We should ask for perfection from our players as they should ask it of themselves. Is it not more dangerous for the ball to be on the defensive side of your body when you are running instead of the sideline side? Since you are "well aware...of the running back position in particular." you should know this.

oh and speaking of your knowledge...I just have one question for you...

Did you ever play the position past highschool? this is not a rhetorical question....you can go ahead and answer it.

Portis is one of the best backs in the leaque...that doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws. I think he is a young man who could listen to these things and learn from them, but you want to treat him like a little baby who can't listen to any advice no matter how logical or sound because it might hurt his delicate senseabilities. That is the soft bigotry of low expectations that I was talking about. You go on treating him like a baby....I'll treat him like a man.

Portis, man to man... your doing a fantistic job. You 're running hard. You're blocking well. Put the ball in the sideline arm, And Keep going.

oh and yes and yes.

:eaglesuck

:laugh: :laugh:

I love it when I get a response that begins with "Look Blondie" :laugh: :laugh:

No, I didn't play a running back. I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express however! Does that count?

I treat him like a baby? Where did that come from? :laugh: :laugh:

I just happened to read some of this to someone kinda close to the situation. I don't think they were worried Portis carrying the ball.

I don't think I will either.

Thanks for the debate however!! I really enjoyed it! Maybe we can do it again sometime.

Blondie

Archived