Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Annoying habit of Portis....

desertfox59

Look I love Portis...he's awsome but the guy is a pro running back and he doesn't put the football in the proper hand when he is running. The other day on his touchdown run he was running left but carrying the ball with his right arm, his inside arm...! NO! NO! NO! put that ball in the outside arm..keep it away from the defense...that is just basics....jeez..

GO Skins!

yeah, but emmitt smith never carried the ball in his right hand, and corey dillon carries it in the left every time as well.

also, riggo (and other older backs ie walter payton) used to carry the ball in the palm of their hand sometimes.

Corry dillon = overrated

Emmit Smith = Massively overrated

WALTER PAYTON = The greatest running back of all time so I'll only reply to this example. Yes Payton used to carry the ball in his palm however, Payton only did that in the open field and he only did that with the correct arm and further more whenever anyone came near him he would either tuck it away or he was out of bounds so it didn't matter

Corry dillon = overrated

WALTER PAYTON = The greatest running back of all time so I'll only reply to this example. Yes Payton used to carry the ball in his palm however, Payton only did that in the open field and he only did that with the correct arm and further more whenever anyone came near him he would either tuck it away or he was out of bounds so it didn't matter

i'm really not sure how you can call emmitt smith massively overrated, even under homerish circumstances.

i'm really not sure how you can call emmitt smith massively overrated, even under homerish circumstances.

Well let me explain it to you....

People, many people call Emmit Smith the best running back of all time...since I can think of at least three off the top of my head who were better (Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown) I would call that massivally overrated...I never said he wasn't good, in fact he is one of the better backs to play this game. But if you think you can compare ES to WP in any area but total career yardage....then you sir are a MORON.

Corry dillon = overrated

yeah, but emmitt didnt fumble. In 18,355 carries, he only fumbled 38 times (he only lost 22 of them). whether or not he's overrated is irrelevent, because he always carried the ball in one hand and he fumbled the ball less than 1% of the time.

yeah, but emmitt didnt fumble. In 18,355 carries, he only fumbled 38 times (he only lost 22 of them). whether or not he's overrated is irrelevent, because he always carried the ball in one hand and he fumbled the ball less than 1% of the time.

What percentage has Portis fumbled ? until he carries the football 18,000 times with a less than 1% fumble rate.....I'd tell him to put the football in the right arm.

He had 18,355 Carries? :yikes:

What was his average yards/carry ? according to you even if he had a 2y/carry average he would have well over 35,000 yards in his career :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

If that were the case I'd take back my analysis of him as massivally overrated even if he still was a poor pass blocker, didn't have very good hands and played with one of the best o lines in football history.

i just checked the stats and in 5,818 carries clinton portis has lost 10 of 16 fumbles which is ALSO less than 1% of the time.

:eaglesuck

There is no way portis has carried the ball 5,818 times.....are we counting his peewee football league team too....and his highschool team, and college? think people....! think!... what is Portis's average per carry? if it's anything higher than 2 than that means Portis must have at leaste 11,000 yards in 4 years of football....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

hahaha, crap, fox, i mixed up my numbers (i typed in yards instead of carries). that was bad. But they are both under 1% in terms of fumbles

Portis: 1,231 carries and 10 lost fumbles is .8% fumbles

Smith: 4,409 carries and 22 lost fumbles is .4% fumbles

:eaglesuck

O.K. fair enough....at least you can admit u were wrong, unlike some DALLAS Trolls....or some Giants Trolls both of whom don't even have the balls to show back up here and admit they are ass licking hind-tit-suckin crybabies.:):):):)

back to my point ....When Portis has carried the ball 4,000 times and still is under 1% I'll say o.k. forget the fundementals...do it your way....it's working.....Until that time Put the Ball in the correct arm!

portis still fumbles less than 1 percent of the time. so i wasn't wrong. I was actually correct. And other guys (Smith and Dillon) who always carried the ball in one hand also have fumbled less than 1 percent of the time, so i think Portis should keep on doing what he's doing. he's only lost two fumbles this year, and they were both in the Oakland game.

Only one player in NFL history has ever carried the ball 4000 or more times, and it's only "ok" if portis keeps this up after 4000 carries!? Please.

Portis holds on to the ball pretty damn well. Keep it up, Clinton

Look I love Portis...he's awsome but the guy is a pro running back and he doesn't put the football in the proper hand when he is running. The other day on his touchdown run he was running left but carrying the ball with his right arm, his inside arm...! NO! NO! NO! put that ball in the outside arm..keep it away from the defense...that is just basics....jeez..

GO Skins!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We are on the verge of making the playoffs. He has been a very big part in getting us there.

He can carry the ball between his teeth if he wants!!

:laugh:

Blondie

GO Skins!

Portis is one of the more surehanded backs in the league. There have been runs when I've thought, switch hands Clinton, but that wasn't one of them. He knew he had to run fast to outrun the defenders, and switching hands might have slowed him down.

I guess some of you just don't understand how to play football...

It is a basic fundamental. when a running back first is handed the football he recieves it with both arms. the interrior arm (the one on the side of the Quaterback) goes up to supply the QB a pocket in which to put the football, while the exterior arm (the one on the opposite side of the QB) is down. in the initial running back pocket the points of the ball (the most vunerable parts ) are protected by both the hands and the elbows on each side until in the open field when the back can (for speed purposes) shift the ball to one arm, the outside arm....the arm closest to the sidelines to protect the ball from the inside out tackling angles of the defense!

It amazes me how many of you want to argue with one of the basics of the game. there are almost no situations where this proper handling of the football should not be done.

Maybe its because so many of you are blinded by your love for this team that you just can't hear anything that criticizes any aspect of this team. you think that you are defending my Redskins. But by your soft bigtory of low expectations you are really doing my skins a disservice.

I want Clinton Portis to put the ball in the proper arm because I believe he can be one of the best to ever play this game! I want to see him do this properly because I believe in the fundamentals and I think that in order to be one of the best you have to do all the little things correctly. Yes to some of you this may seem like a little thing but I have high expectations for players with high skills like Portis. oh and by the way YOU SHOULD TOO!

For those of you who don't see this logic and want to throw stats out there to try to disprove the simple basics of the game of football. I guess the grass will always be blue and the sky will always be green... A great man once said, "there are lies...there are damn lies...and then there are statistics."

For those of you who believe that the grass is green...I welcome your points about this post, for there are many to make. and look foward to our conversations. Morons need not apply. ;)

I guess some of you just don't understand how to play football...

It is a basic fundamental. when a running back first is handed the football he recieves it with both arms. the interrior arm (the one on the side of the Quaterback) goes up to supply the QB a pocket in which to put the football, while the exterior arm (the one on the opposite side of the QB) is down. in the initial running back pocket the points of the ball (the most vunerable parts ) are protected by both the hands and the elbows on each side until in the open field when the back can (for speed purposes) shift the ball to one arm, the outside arm....the arm closest to the sidelines to protect the ball from the inside out tackling angles of the defense!

It amazes me how many of you want to argue with one of the basics of the game. there are almost no situations where this proper handling of the football should not be done.

Maybe its because so many of you are blinded by your love for this team that you just can't hear anything that criticizes any aspect of this team. you think that you are defending my Redskins. But by your soft bigtory of low expectations you are really doing my skins a disservice.

I want Clinton Portis to put the ball in the proper arm because I believe he can be one of the best to ever play this game! I want to see him do this properly because I believe in the fundamentals and I think that in order to be one of the best you have to do all the little things correctly. Yes to some of you this may seem like a little thing but I have high expectations for players with high skills like Portis. oh and by the way YOU SHOULD TOO!

For those of you who don't see this logic and want to throw stats out there to try to disprove the simple basics of the game of football. I guess the grass will always be blue and the sky will always be green... A great man once said, "there are lies...there are damn lies...and then there are statistics."

For those of you who believe that the grass is green...I welcome your points about this post, for there are many to make. and look foward to our conversations. Morons need not apply. ;)

I think most people KNOW how to play football. You are not special in that category. I am well aware a player keeps the ball in the hand away from the defender.

MY point was if Joe Gibbs is not sitting CP's butt on the bench for the way he carries the ball, then who are you or who am I or who are we to tell him how to do it.

Blondie

Archived