Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYTimes: Against Giants, Moss was rolling

Zen-like Todd

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/25/sports/football/25redskins.html

Against Giants, Moss Was Rolling

By CLIFTON BROWN

Published: December 25, 2005

LANDOVER, Md., Dec. 24 - Wide receiver Santana Moss was the most dominant player on the field Saturday, no matter who played quarterback for the Washington Redskins...

25moss_graphic.jpg

Notice they used a photo taken by our own evucci.

I dont know much about will allen other than he was burnt bad today. But since he is going to get ripped a new one by the ny media, I'll say in his defense....WHAT GENIUS KEPT LINING HIM UP IN SINGLE COVERAGE WITH MOSS????? How many D-backs would have a successful game against S. Moss 1 on 1? Anyway, I'm glad he got burnt 3 times. I just think its odd no one has questioned the giants defensive coverage calls.

I dont know much about will allen other than he was burnt bad today. But since he is going to get ripped a new one by the ny media, I'll say in his defense....WHAT GENIUS KEPT LINING HIM UP IN SINGLE COVERAGE WITH MOSS????? How many D-backs would have a successful game against S. Moss 1 on 1? Anyway, I'm glad he got burnt 3 times. I just think its odd no one has questioned the giants defensive coverage calls.

I don't think they did single cover him all day. But with everything else clicking, it's a pick your own poison situation.

I don't think they did single cover him all day. But with everything else clicking, it's a pick your own poison situation.

On the 72 yard TD pass it was definitley single coverage

I remember seeing the safety move, and I thought to myself "they got Moss"

Well, Patrick definitley got Santana on that play, very nice read by both of them

That's what 3(now 4) 100+ yards on the ground for Portis will do, which is open up the passing game.

the coverage didn't start always start out as single

it's the fact that the Giants had to respect our run game, if it was working every play or not

the second that double coverage (saftey) started to cheat, Moss knew :)

our defense has the ability to stop the run with 7, and has a secondary that plays great run support when they have identified a running play

Their only option was to line up Will Allen on Moss all day. Will Allen is a speed guy, and perhaps their fastest player (either him or WR Tim Carter). Coming out of college (Syracuse?) Allen clocked a 4.3 40 at the combine. Basically, he's regarded as their matchup guy against burners (because CBs Deloatch and Webster are not at all fast).

That said, Moss torched him badly. On that double move for his 2nd TD, on the replays, Moss is separating from Allen rapidly, even after both have reached top speed. Allen only makes up ground because the pass was underthrown. And the way Moss shook him off after making the catch on the skinny post--beautiful. Allen was on his ass. This is the kind of game that shakes a CB's confidence for the rest of the season.

This is kinda ironic. When I play Madden online, peopl automatically use the Giants. Why because Will Allen has a 98 speed. Santana has a 97 speed (should be 99). Anyway I've always wondered why Allen is that fast. When the Giants matched him up on Santana everyone can see the speed difference. Allen is no where as fast as Santana.

Archived