Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Sport Nations tidbits, Mort

bubba9497

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=10222

Nick (Canada): Hi Mort, What's the consensus around the league about Patrick Ramsey? Does he fit better in a West Coast style offense or a more vertical offense?

Chris Mortensen: He's definitely vertical, not west coast.

Chris (DC): Mort, Joe Gibbs has lots of offseason issues to worry about after a hopeful playoff run...Who will replace Williams on defense as he is assured to go? What will happen with the Sean Taylor trial and the dilemma with LaVar Arrington? Also what needs will be at the top of the list in terms of the draft, dealing Ramsey, and free agents for the skins? Thanks

Chris Mortensen: Joe Gibbs isn't even thinking about those things. He's got a chance to go to the playoffs. Enjoy it.

What dilemma with Lavar? There isn't one. I don't understand why people have to create "dilemmas" where none exist. We can't cut or trade him and absorb a 12 million dollar cap hit, we just can't.

Nor will we need to. He will come back strong and be a key link to our Superbowl run.

What dilemma with Lavar? There isn't one. I don't understand why people have to create "dilemmas" where none exist. We can't cut or trade him and absorb a 12 million dollar cap hit, we just can't.

And Gregg Williams isn't going anywhere. As soon as the season is over I'm kidnapping him and putting him in my basement until OTAs begin so no team can steal him away from us.

What's funny is that I think Ramsey may be a better WCO QB after all. I think he's better with a highly structured offense that doesn't ask him to ad lib too much, and his best throws tend to be on intermediate crossing routes. His deep passes are inaccurate.

I actually kind of hope we keep Ramsey. Chances are Brunell doesn't stay healthy all year next year or avoids losing a step, and Campbell is not going to be ready. I'd much rather have a player who's been in the system for 2 years, than some new vet that has to learn everything all offseason.

I disagree about the conventional wisdom about Ramsey. He has a strong arm, but he has never been particularly accurate with his deep ball. He also doesn't have good pocket awareness that you need for those longer developing plays. His forte may just be a west coast offense that runs quick patters like slants, outs, or things to the backs.

And Gregg Williams isn't going anywhere. As soon as the season is over I'm kidnapping him and putting him in my basement until OTAs begin so no team can steal him away from us.

:laugh: Thats too much!!!! I love it!! Actually he is the highest paid DC in the league, he isnt going anywhere. He will stay here with Gibbs and get to the superbowl. He will eventually take over as HC when Gibbs retires in 2010 or so. He is actually paid more than some of the Head Coaches in the league!! Hows that food for thought! He is paid to stay in Washington!

Archived