Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Coughlin have Brunell's number?

SkinnedUntilRed

Living in Jacksonville, I spent five or six years watching Coughlin coach Brunell. That Skins/Giants game earlier in the season was a real eyesore. Coughlin knows Brunell. These guys used to eat dinner together at Coughlin's Marsh Landing home in Ponte Vedra just a few houses down from me on a weekly basis with kicker Mike Hollis. Not that that has anything to do with anything, but I just want to illustrate how well these two minds knew each other and how much time they spent together, whether it was on the field, in church, golfing, or barbecuing.

I figured that for the last game, the mind-game between Coughlin and Brunell would be a stalemate. Brunell knows Coughlin's offensive schemes, and I thought that he would be able to clue Gregg Williams into a lot of things about Coughlin that you don't see on tape. At the same time, Coughlin trained Brunell to become the QB he was and is. When Steve Buerelein fell down back just a few games into the Jags first season, Brunell got the call, and spent the next few years working with and learning from Tom Coughlin, as Couglin spent some of his tenure as OC as well as head coach. So I knew that Coughlin would have a lot of insight into the near-intangibles about Brunell that other coaches wouldn't notice not having coached him.

Will the scales tip the other directions this game? What do you think? Can Gregg Williams put together a good enough defensive scheme to hinder an already ailing Eli Manning? Can we stop the Giants running attack? Can Brunell get the job done with Cooley, Moss, and company against the Giants mediocre secondary?

What are your thoughts?

:gaintsuck

I think this is one of the big reasons we got blown out last time we played them. Not just coughlin knowing brunnell but they also had our 3rd string qb from last year and one of our best defensive players from last year.

Good point. So the question remains: What must we do differently to stop them this game? I think it is imperative that we establish the running game and maintain a lead. If we can get Portis rolling and stop Barber, we have the game in the bag.

Couldn't you have said the same thing about the Cowboys and us going into this season, or Parcells and Gibbs? Sorry, but I don't see how the knowledge of Brunell is going to help him any better than anyone else who studies film of Brunell and our offense.

Doesnt matter what coughlin knows, if we execute our plays, they wont stop us either. There going to wish this game was in the Meadowlands because Eli isnt half as good as Bledsoe and the young QB will get punished. NY will NOT beat us in our house and in a game as big as this. Joe Gibbs and Greg Williams have been waiting for this rematch too long. NY Must Die!!!! :gaintsuck

Agreed. I think that as the season has worn on, Eli's hot streak has worn off. Defensive Coordinators have found that putting pressure on Eli by blitzing relentlessly causes the 2nd year QB to start making stupid mistakes.

If we follow the same basic gameplan we used defensively against the Boyz, blitz, blitz, blitz - we can take that factor outta the game.

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!

:point2sky

Well, it's one way to get another "brunell introspective" thread going again :laugh:

I'd say Coughlin apparently had the entire Redskins organization's phone book that day, not "brunell's number".

Maybe he'll add Patrick's number to his speed dial just in case.

Agreed. I think that as the season has worn on, Eli's hot streak has worn off. Defensive Coordinators have found that putting pressure on Eli by blitzing relentlessly causes the 2nd year QB to start making stupid mistakes.

If we follow the same basic gameplan we used defensively against the Boyz, blitz, blitz, blitz - we can take that factor outta the game.

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!

:point2sky

I think it's the opposite. Eli's a cerebral qb and handles the blitz well. If you blitz, you better make sure to get there fast, because Burress, Shockey and Toomer are big, fast and easy to find. He has difficulties with schemes that blanket the receivers - even with time. My guess is that Williams has your d blitzing now and then - but not very often.

There is no secret to winning a football game. These days you hear about schemes and play calling and planning and all that does come into play. However what everything comes down to is execution.

The giants can know everything we do before we snap the ball, but if all 11 guys execute they won't be able to stop us.

I think it's the opposite. Eli's a cerebral qb and handles the blitz well. If you blitz, you better make sure to get there fast, because Burress, Shockey and Toomer are big, fast and easy to find. He has difficulties with schemes that blanket the receivers - even with time. My guess is that Williams has your d blitzing now and then - but not very often.

Please, you as well as I know that in those sticky situations, Eli literally just throws the ball up for grabs, usually in Burress' direction.

I'd guess that Coughlin is the coach most familiar with Brunell and his tendancies. However, the Redskin offense/playcalling is so different from his Jag days I don't expect Coughlin to "have his number".

Very true, I will also add that Brunell was injured that game we lost in 04, and that last abberation earlier this years was what I like to call "the perfect storm" game...we were coming off gigantic beating of the 9ners, Giants lost their beloved owner ...

I'm sure that if we lost to the 9ners or barely beat them, the game would have been much different ... my point, the playing field will be much more "even" this time around .... by "even" I mean, their are no out of ordinary circumstances hovering over this one ...

I'm sure that if we lost to the 9ners or barely beat them, the game would have been much different ... my point, the playing field will be much more "even" this time around .... by "even" I mean, their are no out of ordinary circumstances hovering over this one ...

True, just like the Cows were unprepared for the beating they took last week. No team in the NFL is good enough to lay 2 30-something point wins on another team. I expect this game to be much, much closer. (And loud as hell.)

Archived