Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Appalachian St. wins Division I-AA National Championship

Guest peele

Don't know if you guys keep up with anything out of NC but App beat UNI (Northern Iowa)for the Division I-AA National Championship tonight 21-16. App has some talented players that will probably definetely make the NFL. Their 2 defensive ends are awesome. The both had 2 sacks a piece in the game and one of them forced a fumble and the other one picked it up and takes it in for a TD. Maybe we could pick up their QB Richie Williams and use him as a WR next year. They said App recruited him as an athlete and turned him into QB. Probably could be a steal in 3rd or 4th round. COngrats to Appalachian on a great season and winning the National Championship. :applause: :dallasuck

This is the next best thing (for me) in football to the Skins winning the Super Bowl. I haven't been so excited about a game since the '91 title.

Went out to a local pub ... they had the game on every big screen in the place. Lots of fans, a few ex-ASU players, the whole pace was very rowdy pulling for Appalachian.

Rough start, but they came through! We were rockin' ... didn't come home until 3 am.

I'll be wearing my Appalachian stuff with pride!

I wanted Furman to win this year, but they lost to App St., so I was pulling for UNI. Oh well. I kept thinking last night while watching the game how just one year ago my roommates and I were in Tennessee when JMU was playing, craezey to think about.

This is the next best thing (for me) in football to the Skins winning the Super Bowl. I haven't been so excited about a game since the '91 title.

Went out to a local pub ... they had the game on every big screen in the place. Lots of fans, a few ex-ASU players, the whole pace was very rowdy pulling for Appalachian.

Rough start, but they came through! We were rockin' ... didn't come home until 3 am.

I'll be wearing my Appalachian stuff with pride!

I watched the game in Boone (my mountain home is 9 miles north). Now, hopefuly, people will know where Boone is. :laugh: Congrats Mountaineers!:cheers::cheers:

APPS WIN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

pQFqzh7Head Coach Jerry Moore and Chancellor Ken Pea**** hoist the National Championship trophy (Photo- Leila Jackson, ASU Athletics)

APPS WIN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

by Appalachian Sports Information

December 15, 2005

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – Marques Murrell forced a fumble and Jason Hunter returned it for a touchdown with 9:14 remaining in the game to give Appalachian State University the NCAA Division I-AA National Championship with a 21-16 victory over Northern Iowa on Friday night at Finley Stadium.

The Mountaineers trailed for all but 4:58 of the contest until Hunter's third touchdown of the season in the final period. All-Americans Hunter and Murrell led the Appalachian comeback from their defensive end positions as Hunter compiled 10 total tackles, three for loss, a fumble recovery and two sacks and Murrell added nine total tackles, five-and-a-half for loss, two forced fumbles and two quarterback sacks.

Quarterback Richie Williams also helped engineer the Mountaineers' comeback by courageously battling through an ankle injury to come off the bench and throw for 129 yards in the second half of the win.

Sophomore Trey Elder started the contest and registered 123 yards through the air in the first half, but the ASU offense was hindered by three turnovers and trailed 16-7 at the half.

Kevin Richardson scored both of Appalachian’s offensive touchdowns with a five-yard scamper in the second quarter and a one-yard jaunt that brought ASU within two points at 16-14 with 6:05 to go in the third period. In the process, the sophomore tied Hall of Famer John Settle's Appalachian single-season record of 21 touchdowns in a season.

Things didn't start out nearly as well as they finished for the Mountaineers, as Northern Iowa scored on its opening possession with a 50-yard field goal by Brian Wingert. The longest kick in I-AA Championship Game history capped off a nine-play, 41-yard drive.

On the ensuing kickoff, UNI recovered an Appalachian fumble and doubled its advantage to 6-0 just 5:15 into the game on a 26-yard field goal by Wingert.

UNI would keep the six-point lead until Richardson carried the ball in from five yards out to put ASU up 7-6 after the extra point by Julian Rauch.

However, the Panthers capitalized on another Mountaineer turnover, scoring from two yards out on a run by David Horne after picking off an Elder pass on ASU’s 41 yard line. The Panthers added another tally before halftime on Wingert’s third field goal of the half, this one from 31 yards out with 1:09 left on the clock to give the Panthers a 16-7 advantage.

Despite Richardson's second touchdown of the game midway through the third quarter, ASU continued to trail until less 10 minutes remained in the ballgame, when Murrell and Hunter elevated their play to another level.

Wreaking havoc in the backfield like they did for much of the evening, Murrell sacked Panther quarterback Eric Sanders on the UNI 15 to force a fumble that Hunter scooped up and carried to paydirt for his third touchdown of the season.

Hunter and Murrell made sure the 21-16 advantage stood up as Murrell forced a fumble and Hunter sacked Sanders to force a punt on UNI’s next possession.

The Appalachian defense came up big once again on the Panthers last possession of the game by holding the Panthers inside their own 30 yard line and forcing a punt with three minutes left.

The Williams-led ASU offense rattled off a pair of first downs on its final possession to ensure that UNI didn't have another chance to score. Thousands of the very pro-ASU crowd of 20,236 stormed the field as Williams took a knee on the final play to celebrate the school’s first-ever national championship.

In his final game in the Black and Gold, wide receiver Zach Johnson enjoyed a career day with six catches for 101 yards. Fellow senior Brandon Turner chipped in with four receptions for 78 yards, while Richardson led the Apps on the ground with 51 yards and the two scores.

Appalachian ends its historic season with a 12-3 overall record, tying the school record for wins in a season set by the 1995 squad that went 12-1. Northern Iowa finishes its season at 11-4 overall after capturing a share of the Gateway Football Conference title.

NC_19128.gif

asu.from.fire.tower_sm.gif

Appalachian_State_University1.jpgpXNkS1N.jpg

p9nwMno.jpgKevin Richardson leads the ASU ground attack into Friday's National Championship Game (ASU athletics photo)

I watched the game in Boone (my mountain home is 9 miles north). Now, hopefuly, people will know where Boone is.:cheers::cheers:

Cool.

I spent 5 years and 2 summers getting my 4-year degree from Appalachian. Had to be dragged kicking and screaming out of there. I loved it. Beautiful place. Very good (academic) school.

My freshman year up there (1983-84) none other than Mack Brown was the head coach.

Great to see them finally take the title after getting to the playoffs so many times and coming up short.

Archived