Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it true? Goes Gibbs play not to run up the score in games?

DaSkinzBaby

Please excuse if something like this is posted already I couldn't find such a thread. Now on to what I have heard on Comcast last night. I heard rumblings that the Veteran's only meeting had players saying they don't like the play calling and what was further stated was that Gibbs doesn't like to run the score up. Has anyone else heard this? I mean I hear the skins can't put teams away and then I hear this? Seems like it makes sense to me anyway and I personally find this highly troubling. I think we all know that Gibbs is a nice guy but why would something like this come out? I think Gibbs has an obligation to call plays that will give us the best chance to win. It seems to me that Gibbs is calling plays not to win, and I wish that Gibbs would have ****iness like Spurrier in times like this. Also if this is true do you think the veterans would call there own plays in the huddle? Any other insights would be greatly appreciated.

Gibbs may not pile it on Spurrier-style if he has a big lead, but his past teams were no stranger to big scores. Look at the first three home games of the great 91 season: 45-0, 34-0, and 23-0. But at the end of that 45-0 game, he had our QB take a knee rather than go in for another score just to rub it in. That kind of restraint has earned him the respect of other coaches.

Unfortunately, I think the conservative approach we've seen lately is a reflection of his confidence in the team, not an overall philosophy. And don't forget execution. We could have opened double-digit leads on some of these teams if mistakes hadn't been made in basic technique. A coach can't be expected to win every game with some wild X and O scheme. At some point the players have to line up and beat the guy across from them.

He's not afraid to run up the score. He's afraid to turn it over.

Memories of Brunell's fumbles going into the endzone last year against Tampa, Baltimore, yesterday against St. Louis are what keeps this offense in a bunched tight formation with min. risk.

I don't care that we won yesterday, or that we're at .500. This offense is coached scared right now. Its not a secret.

There is a difference between not playing for a blow out and playing not to lose the game. Coach plays not to lose the games. He is quoted to say that if a certain play calls for a possible momentum swing, he won't do it. Gibbs doesn't have a killer instinct to go for the jugular (which would cause you to run up the score). So far, it has worked well and then there are times when it blew up in his face. Halftime of the Rams game he shoulda gone to the endzone instead of running that WR screen.

Please excuse if something like this is posted already I couldn't find such a thread. Now on to what I have heard on Comcast last night. I heard rumblings that the Veteran's only meeting had players saying they don't like the play calling and what was further stated was that Gibbs doesn't like to run the score up. Has anyone else heard this? I mean I hear the skins can't put teams away and then I hear this? Seems like it makes sense to me anyway and I personally find this highly troubling. I think we all know that Gibbs is a nice guy but why would something like this come out? I think Gibbs has an obligation to call plays that will give us the best chance to win. It seems to me that Gibbs is calling plays not to win, and I wish that Gibbs would have ****iness like Spurrier in times like this. Also if this is true do you think the veterans would call there own plays in the huddle? Any other insights would be greatly appreciated.

Its not the play calling its the execution The raiders were not good against the pass but the skins werent good at passing that game in the second half. then last week Robert royal dropped 3 easy passes when he was wide open. Turnovers and execution has been our biggest problems but hopefully that got fixed Rock should have been coming in on third and short running plays all season because he hasd always been good at that thats where he excels at. I think betts is good in that role also. It looks like Portis wears down as game sgo on so running him on third and short late in the game might most likely not be a good thing plus liek the announcers were sayiing yesterday Rock waits for his holes to open before going through them. I can see ROck being a premier back one day Hopefully for thje redskins he is a John Riggens mold type of Back.

bs, gibbs always ran up the score, check out the skins scores the last time around there are mad blowouts

ALot of thos egames were decided well before the 4th qaurter back then then in the 4th the hogs would takke over and go on there famous 6 minute drive.. He was conservative at times also then I remeber against the eagles they sat on a lead of about 17 and lost it because randell took off to the races every play.

It seems to me that Gibbs is calling plays not to win, and I wish that Gibbs would have ****iness like Spurrier in times like this. QUOTE]

No and no. 1)Thats why Gibbs coaches/calls plays..not to win? Ill just give you a :doh:

2) I would never want anybody in the world to have any of the same qualities as Spurrier. Especially not Gibbs.

Archived