Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Data Recovery

notoriouslyKEN

My 300gb hard drive went down yesterday. I've used some data recovery software to scan the disk, and it appears all data is there and recoverable, however none of the software (shareware) is capable of recovering the data without purchasing the full version. I have about 600+ full music albums on this drive that I need to recover.

Does anyone have or know of any software (full version or freeware) such as Partition Table Doctor (http://www.ptdd.com/ptdmoreinfo.htm) that allows me to re-write the partition table or boot sector?

I will be forever in your debt, and give you full leech to the albums when I get them back online.

Define what you mean by went down. Give me specifics and I might be able to help you recover the disk without using recovery software.

1) Is it just a Data drive, or did it also contain the Operating System.

2) How does it appear in Disk Management. ie. failed, offline, missing etc....

3) Is it a dynamic disk or Basic disk.

If you'd like my assistance, go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cebf3c7c-7ca5-408f-88b7-f9c79b7306c0&DisplayLang=en and run the Setupperf.exe version of MPSReports. Scroll down and you'll see the link. It will create a cab file you can email to me. PM me for my email address.

300 GBs? how much did you pay for that? so far, in the computer i'm building, i only have a couple 5 GB hard drives.

A couple of 5 gig hard drives won't get it done Poker. That will only give you enough disk space for the OS and only a couple of applications/games. You can pick up larger hard drives on sale pretty cheap. 300 gigs will set you back, but for the OS disk I wouldn't go smaller than 20 gigs. You'll eat that up pretty quick with the OS and applications/games, but it should be enough. For a data drive, the size you'll need will depend on what you'll be storing. I'd go no smaller than 60 gigs for pictures and music. If your a freak for music or movies, you may need more.

Define what you mean by went down. Give me specifics and I might be able to help you recover the disk without using recovery software.

I had upgraded from XP home sp1 to XP Pro, when the OS came back up, the drive was assigned a letter. When tryign to browse to the letter, it would inform me that it was not formatted. Upon going to the Disk Management services, it listed the drive as 137GB RAW Partition and 150GB Unallocated. I believe the issue was with XP Pro (with no service packs) not being able to support the drive, but even after updating to sp2, I still am down.

1) Is it just a Data drive, or did it also contain the Operating System.

Just Data

2) How does it appear in Disk Management. ie. failed, offline, missing etc....

addressed above

3) Is it a dynamic disk or Basic disk.

Basic, I do believe. Although, honestly, I am unsure.

If you'd like my assistance, go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cebf3c7c-7ca5-408f-88b7-f9c79b7306c0&DisplayLang=en and run the Setupperf.exe version of MPSReports. Scroll down and you'll see the link. It will create a cab file you can email to me. PM me for my email address.

I'll try this when I go home from work today. Thanks for the help.

300 GBs? how much did you pay for that?

$110 off of craigslist about 6 months ago.

They were on sale at best buy for like $150 after instant rebates and another mail-in rebate for $50 about a month before I got it from craigslist. Guy must of bought them filled out the stuff then resold them. Mine was still New in box.

Since you see the disk in disk management it isn't a driver or supportability issue. The Disk is being presented but the file system is not seen. If you run the MPSReports and send me the .cab file, I might be able to fix it. One of the reports gathered with MPSReports, shows the disk sectors for the MBR, and boot sector. If I find the problem, we can fix it with a Disk Editing utility from MS called DiskProbe. Very dangerous tool if you don't know what your doing.

Archived