Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins should cut Robert Royal and sign this guy

Looking ahead to next season, the Redskins should cut Robert Royal now, who has been dropping passes, missing blocks and making penalties all season long. They should then start Robert Johnson to replace him and give Johnson a chance, and also sign Matt Kranchick off the Steelers practice squad to develop and backup Johnson.

Kranchick is young, has size, is 6-7 and a former WR, just like former Redskin TE Clint Didier was. Kranchick has outstanding speed for a TE and being a former WR has good hands.

Hell, I would even settle for TE Teyo Johnson who is available now, to replace Robert Royal. :mad:

Just like I said the Redskins should have signed WR/PR Andre Davis about 3 weeks ago when he was cut by New England -- but they didn't -- the Redskins front office has to be more proactive INSTEAD of reactive! Now with injuries to Patten and Thrash, Davis isn't available now, and the Skins don't have a decent WR or punt returner to replace them. :mad:

http://media3.steelers.com/team/player/49209/

Player Highlights:PRO: Was one of four 2004 draft choices to make the final roster…had an excellent preseason and made some clutch catches…is an outstanding target because of his size and excellent speed.

2004: Was active for two regular season games, 11/29 at Cincinnati and 12/18 at N.Y. Giants...was inactive in both postseason contests...11/21 at Cincinnati: made his NFL debut due to an injury to Jay Riemersma.

COLLEGE: Late bloomer who saw limited action during his first three seasons before emerging as a clutch short-area target for the passing game as a senior…former walk-on…added more than 45 pounds of muscle to his frame since his freshman season when he arrived on campus as a wide receiver…in 23 games, he caught 24 passes for 352 yards (14.7 avg.) and a touchdown…caught 22 passes for 337 yards (15.3 avg.) and one touchdown as a senior in 2003…finshed the season fourth on the team in receptions and third in receiving yardage…his 73-yard touchdwn catche versus Wisconsin was Penn State’s longest of the season and the team’s longest completion since 1999…graduated after only 3½ years at Penn State (December, 2002) with a degree in business administration.

PERSONAL: Played wide receiver at Mercersburg (Pa.) Academy prep school in 1999…made 57 receptions for 933 yards and 13 touchdowns…was named first-team All-Middle Atlantic Conference at wide receiver and cornerback…also chosen first-team All-Tri-state and third-team small school all-state at the wide receiver post…attended Trinity (Carlisle, Pa.) High…was a two-year starter at wide receiver and defensive end…recorded 75 catches for 1,125 yards and 16 scores during his career…also collected seven interceptions as a senior…grandfather, John Kranchick, played football at the University of North Carolina in 1944…Full name: Matthew Alan

Just like I said the Redskins should have signed WR/PR Andre Davis about 3 weeks ago when he was cut by New England -- but they didn't -- the Redskins front office has to be more proactive INSTEAD of reactive! Now with injuries to Patten and Thrash, Davis isn't available now, and the Skins don't have a decent WR or punt returner to replace them. :mad:

I like the way you think. I was also yelling for the Skins to sign Andre Davis and could not believe that he was cut outright. Granted it was due to injury but come on the guy was available and we just sat! He is a capable KR/PR and a solid WR.

I know Matt would be a good addition. With the roster positions and health of Duce Staley, he keeps getting deactivated for every game. He won't be pushed ahead of Heath Miller, but could come down here and compete.

I know for a fact he would like to stay in Pittsburgh, but wouldn't mind Washington, Baltimore, and Philly.

Easy to say that in hindsight, but you can't really predict injuries. 3 weeks ago we were pretty solid at WR.

The problem also is that you just can't plug in players. It takes a while for a player to get up to speed with what you are doing.

Jason

Easy to say that in hindsight, but you can't really predict injuries. 3 weeks ago we were pretty solid at WR.

The problem also is that you just can't plug in players. It takes a while for a player to get up to speed with what you are doing.

Jason

Not true. Most of us have been saying all along that the Skins were thin at WR by only carrying four, even BEFORE the injuries to Patten and Thrash. Thrash even in his best season EVER, only had ONE 100-yard receiving game. And Taylor Jacobs hasn't proven anything in three seasons. And then with the loss of Thrash, we also lost our punt returner.

Andre Davis could have been signed and a guy cut and placed on the practice squad to make room for him (Keasey, etc.), which is a move we made anyway.

I'm not saying plug in Kranchick right away. I'm saying promote Robert Johnson to starter and develop Kranchick as a backup for the time being.

Robert Royal has no upside and is a liability .......... so get rid of him.

Instead the Redskins front office waits for an injury to occur at a THIN position, and THEN they go looking for a replacement, instead of planning ahead. By then there is nothing left on the street to pick up. :mad:

The Redskins have been thin at cornerback all season too, and if either Harris, Rogers or Springs goes down for the count, everyone knows that they will be screwed, because Jimoh and Demitri Patterson aren't starting material. So why not put McCune on the practice squad to make room and sign Lenny Walls (Denver) who was just released? This is what I mean by being proactive, instead of waiting for another injury to hit. Even Pete Hunter and Mario Edwards are available, who at least are better than Jimoh and Patterson. :mad:

But no. Its the same old mismanagement crap for the last 12 years! As you can see I'm pissed off with this organization. :paranoid:

Instead the Redskins front office waits for an injury to occur at a THIN position, and THEN they go looking for a replacement, instead of planning ahead. By then there is nothing left on the street to pick up. :mad:

There certainly was: Farris and Brown. Brown at least has the advantage of knowing our system and working with our QBs, which Davis doesn't.

Building a roster is always an act of compromise. If you want depth in one area, you will have to sacrifice depth elsewhere. Also, if you release a guy who you like, you may not get him back.

Also, considering that the 4th receiver rarely gets much play here anyways, having a 5th receiver is more like having an appendix. As I said, you can't predict injuries.

Jason

There certainly was: Farris and Brown. Brown at least has the advantage of knowing our system and working with our QBs, which Davis doesn't.

Whats there to know when it comes to returning punts? Andre Davis was a great kick returner in college and the pros and is twice the receiver that Anthony Brown is. Brown has yet to catch a single pass in the regular season and Ferris has caught about 6.

Brown couldn't catch Madeline Albright in a phone booth.

Jason

To be fair I don't know if we had the roster space to pick Andre Davis up but I do know that he was an excellent WR and KR/PR in college.

Archived