Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IS it Gibbs or execution ?

Pitbull

My 2 cents

I have been a member of this board for two years now, and I would bet alot of people are panicking at this point in the season.

Question ?

From the losing culture this team has been in for so long , is it unfair to give Joe Gibbs 3 seasons before we expect too much of him?

I personally have a hard time blaming the past three games on coaching, I think we all can agree, this years team is much better than the past couple of seasons. We have an honest shot of winning every time that we step on the field.

Now, are the past three games Joe Gibbs fault, or is it poor execution by the offense?

I believe that at some point, the offense has to develope an attitude to close, close games, we can not continue to ask our defense to constantly stop some of the best players in the game. Our offense this past Sunday, did our defense a dis-service by continuing to put them on the field against L.T.

I will be the first to admit, L.T. is a hell of a running back, and it is almost impossible to stop him when you keep giving him opportunities. The way you beat a team with a player like L.T. is you keep them off of the field, and dropping passes that stop drives, and getting holding penalties at critical points of the game is not coaching, it's execution.

Our team is physically impressive, our talent is top ranked, our execution is why we are 5-6. Once again just my two cents. Feel free to disagree :2cents:

in the past Gibbs' presence = execution on offense.

you have to believe that the Redskins coaches are not so poor as to be unable to make very talented performers play well.

so the obvious answer then is that the talent is less than it needs to be for the offense to engage and defeat opposing defenses on a regular basis.

is Brunell worth an $8 million bonus? is Portis worth $17 million? is either player among the top 3-4 players at his position in the NFC?

how about the offensive line? Samuels and Jansen are being paid a mint. Ditto for Randy Thomas who for $7 million has been merely solid for 2 plus seasons.

Derrick Dockery has been a weak link for as long as we can remember and yet his spot is seemingly reserved for him in perpetuity.

Moss has ability and so does Cooley. So, there are two guys you can mark down as being part of the solution rather than being part of the problem.

Other underperformers? Robert Royal doesn't belong on the field as a starter in the NFL. We made it through last season with him at TE, but he should have been replaced by a stronger blocker and tougher competitor in the offseason.

I apologize if this type of thread has already been discussed

Just bringin it to your attention. I probably sounded mean but Robert Royal made me that way :cuss: Its all good. Oh, and in my opinion theres almost always a better play to call and there is always ways to execute better. Seems like we just haven't figured out that stuff yet. Its an educated guessing game that we haven't played well yet. We're slow-playing straights only to get knocked out by flushes on the river. Maybe we should make teams fold.

in the past Gibbs' presence = execution on offense.

you have to believe that the Redskins coaches are not so poor as to be unable to make very talented performers play well.

so the obvious answer then is that the talent is less than it needs to be for the offense to engage and defeat opposing defenses on a regular basis.

is Brunell worth an $8 million bonus? is Portis worth $17 million? is either player among the top 3-4 players at his position in the NFC?

how about the offensive line? Samuels and Jansen are being paid a mint. Ditto for Randy Thomas who for $7 million has been merely solid for 2 plus seasons.

Derrick Dockery has been a weak link for as long as we can remember and yet his spot is seemingly reserved for him in perpetuity.

Moss has ability and so does Cooley. So, there are two guys you can mark down as being part of the solution rather than being part of the problem.

Other underperformers? Robert Royal doesn't belong on the field as a starter in the NFL. We made it through last season with him at TE, but he should have been replaced by a stronger blocker and tougher competitor in the offseason.

Good points,

Bulldog I have a hard time saying that the talent on the field currently is not good enough to engage good defenses, not saying that it couldnt be better. I do believe we are in die or need for a true #2 reciever, I think the defenses that we have played has seen enough to adjust their defense to double cover Moss, which limits our downfield threat.

I think Clinton Portis could be just as good as L.T if we use him in the right compacity. Clinton Portis is too talented to limit him to the back field, I dont think we do enough with him to create favorable match-ups for us to take advantage of. If they are double covering Moss, then it cant be that many players that can run with Clinton Portis left on the field, especially if Cooley is out in a route.

Or even in the running game, I dont think we get Clinton out in space enough for him to utilize his vision and running skills. Even still I dont believe this is why we are losing games. I think we are losing game because of poor execution by our offense.

Example :

3rd and 2 , we dont convert, we rush and throw an incomplete pass that stopped the clock with an upcoming punt. Now if there was ever a time to take a sack, I think this was it. This is not coaching this is panick and poor execution by our offense in a tight game. I think to call a pass in this situation is a good call. The QB has to make the decision on weather, to throw the ball ( he has to determine if he has an honest shot at completing the pass)or take the sack to keep the clock moving. Or why not check off to a run?

So was this a bad call or poor execution or poor game management. My opinion is poor execution. Once again just my two cents, feel free to disagree

the playcalling and the performances of the players are intertwined.

Gibbs calls passes on 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2 because Portis and the OL haven't shown him they are money in picking up first downs under fourth quarter pressure.

At the same time Gibbs limits the downfield passing to try and really get on top of clubs (such as the Raiders at 13-3 or San Diego at 17-10) because he doesn't trust the pass protection holding up and Brunell not fumbling the ball when hit on the rush.

So, when you are the Head Coach and you see these things happen, what plays do you call for which players? Do you have confidence they will do their jobs even if they have fallen short in the past? :)

Confidence begets confidence. Players can also percieve the lack of confidence. If you play conservative in the 4th quarter, and lose consistenly, it is time to change something.

The coaches to their credit, have kept the team in all games, and have been burned by non-execution. So I see the players as needing to increase their confidence, and I see the coaches needing to up the intensity in the 4th. Unlike the Post, I think the D has more than kept their side of the deal, and the O has been the bigger slackard. I also think if we lose next week, it is time to give Campbell an extended look...

My 2 cents

I have been a member of this board for two years now, and I would bet alot of people are panicking at this point in the season.

Question ?

From the losing culture this team has been in for so long , is it unfair to give Joe Gibbs 3 seasons before we expect too much of him?

I personally have a hard time blaming the past three games on coaching, I think we all can agree, this years team is much better than the past couple of seasons. We have an honest shot of winning every time that we step on the field.

Now, are the past three games Joe Gibbs fault, or is it poor execution by the offense?

I believe that at some point, the offense has to develope an attitude to close, close games, we can not continue to ask our defense to constantly stop some of the best players in the game. Our offense this past Sunday, did our defense a dis-service by continuing to put them on the field against L.T.

I will be the first to admit, L.T. is a hell of a running back, and it is almost impossible to stop him when you keep giving him opportunities. The way you beat a team with a player like L.T. is you keep them off of the field, and dropping passes that stop drives, and getting holding penalties at critical points of the game is not coaching, it's execution.

Our team is physically impressive, our talent is top ranked, our execution is why we are 5-6. Once again just my two cents. Feel free to disagree :2cents:

I never thought it was Gibbs or the offensive coaches. Gibbs, Breaux, Bugel, and Musgrave each has their imput on the offense. I'm sure they meet several times a week and I'm sure they draw up a plan for the offense to succeed. Aside from that, the players are suppose to execute what the coaches have put forth, just like construction workers follow the blueprint of an tall building once the architcutect finishes laying it out.

Archived