Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Like light beer, Portis goes down easy

BraveWarrior

Is it just me, or is CP a very non-clutch player? I know he's had a few good games for us in 2 years, but he's not the back I envisioned us getting when he came over from Denver. He seems to go down way too quickly this year, either by simple arm tackles, stumbling on feet at the line, or just not making the cut to the open running lanes. I really like the guy, but I have had enough of him getting tackled at the LOS and maybe falling forward for a yard or two at the most.

And then Cartwright spells him and reels off a long TD run...

Perhaps when Betts comes back he can become our starting RB. I think he's a tougher runner than CP.

betts is not consistently healthy. i would be terrified to have him as our main rushing threat.

as for portis..the blocking/running scheme is garbage. i have no idea why they think portis is most effective running in a crowd of defenders. the oline man hardly EVER finish blocks. by finish blocks, i mean by knocking their guy on the ground or even out the play. i notice that when a play is going away from a blocker, HE WILL STOP PLAYING, and his man will hustle and be part of the tackle. :doh:

Guest sith lord
Is it just me, or is CP a very non-clutch player? I know he's had a few good games for us in 2 years, but he's not the back I envisioned us getting when he came over from Denver. He seems to go down way too quickly this year, either by simple arm tackles, stumbling on feet at the line, or just not making the cut to the open running lanes. I really like the guy, but I have had enough of him getting tackled at the LOS and maybe falling forward for a yard or two at the most.

And then Cartwright spells him and reels off a long TD run...

Perhaps when Betts comes back he can become our starting RB. I think he's a tougher runner than CP.

When he first got here, I thought he was as good as L.T., if not better. I've been proven wrong.

betts is not consistently healthy. i would be terrified to have him as our main rushing threat.

as for portis..the blocking/running scheme is garbage. i have no idea why they think portis is most effective running in a crowd of defenders. the oline man hardly EVER finish blocks. by finish blocks, i mean by knocking their guy on the ground or even out the play. i notice that when a play is going away from a blocker, HE WILL STOP PLAYING, and his man will hustle and be part of the tackle. :doh:

Very well said, and something that has not gone unnoticed by me. It's one of my criticisms of this inconsistent OL. Again, much of it is the left side of the OL. And in his second tenure, I'm not convinced that Bugel is the right man for this job. As much as you blame players, the coaching does not escape unscathed.

If you watched Barry Sanders run, also if you watch Alexander and LT, they all have a similar running style. They are able to hit a hole, but then be patient and bounce to the outside a couple times untill they break one. I even watched westbrook break one of those kind of runs today against the Pack. He ran through the hole, got caught up in traffic, bounced it to the outside, made a guy miss a tackle and then ran diagonally into the endzone. But bravewarrior is correct. Portis goes down to easily. YOu will NEVER see portis break a run the way these guys do. But the thing is, denver backs don;t have to run that way. Portis is a typical denver back. he must be in a PERFECT zone running scheme in order to succeed. Our running system is far from what Portis is good at.

Archived