Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Marriucci Could Get Fired Friday

jimster

Mariucci's future uncertain after bad loss to FalconsESPN.com news services

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2236033&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

After Thursday's 27-7 home loss to Atlanta on national television, the Detroit Lions' playoff hopes are finished. Now it appears their coach may be done too.

The Lions are in discussions that could lead to the firing of head coach Steve Mariucci possibly as early as Friday, according to reports in the Detroit Free Press and on WJBK-TV in Detroit. After two and a half disappointing years with Mariucci at the helm, the loss to the Falcons on Thanksgiving may have been the final straw.

"I don't know what's going to happen or anything like that, but nobody's stupid in here," offensive lineman Damien Woody told the Free Press. "People know that, hey, things didn't go right. It was a pretty bad loss on national television. We'll see what happens."

The Lions are 15-28 since 2003 under Mariucci, including a 4-7 record this year, a year that began with high hopes in the organization. Thursday's loss dropped Detroit 3½ games behind NFC North-leading Chicago, and 1½ behind second-place Minnesota.

"I take the responsibility, because I'm the head coach, and I should," Mariucci told the Free Press. "And that's what makes it a little bit frustrating, because where do you start? You identify where we need to be better, and there's a multitude of things."

They need to fire the fool that took a WR in the first round (2nd, 6th, and 10th) the past three years. I think their defense would be ok if they didn't spend 3/4 of the game on the field. Detroit's O-line is horrendous - that's where they should have focused their draft. I like Mooch and think he is a very good coach but with drafts like this how could you get better?

Too bad for Mooch. I don't see how any sane person can think he is the problem there.

On the bright side, that story makes it sound like the Ford family will continue to protect football fans by keeping dopey Matt Millen out of the broadcast booth. He continues to prove how little he knows about football or talent.

i live in michigan and believe me mooch is the problem....he only had success in san fran because walsh was the "special consultant" you know what that means he was running SH**..when he stepped down they canned mooch because walsh didnt think he had what it takes to be the coach...the players that have come from other teams have even used the "inside source" costume and told the press that mooch is totally lost and. with that said millin needs a swift kick to the exit himself.

i live in michigan and believe me mooch is the problem....he only had success in san fran because walsh was the "special consultant" you know what that means he was running SH**..when he stepped down they canned mooch because walsh didnt think he had what it takes to be the coach...the players that have come from other teams have even used the "inside source" costume and told the press that mooch is totally lost and. with that said millin needs a swift kick to the exit himself.

Never heard that, but that's a nice tidbit.

Motown is moving on ... finally.

Sources have told FOXSports.com that after much speculation and deliberation, the Lions have fired head coach Steve Mariucci.

The same sources said they believe defensive coordinator Dick Jauron would be the team's interim head coach, but that has not yet been confirmed.

It was widely reported on Friday that Mariucci's days in Detroit were numbered, but he managed to last the weekend.

The last straw for Lions management apparently was Detroit's embarrassing 27-7 loss to Atlanta on Thanksgiving Day. Playing before a national television audience, the Falcons took a 27-0 lead into the fourth quarter and were able to sit starting quarterback Michael Vick.

This was supposed to be the season Mariucci got the Lions back on track. Quarterback Joey Harrington was entering his fourth season in the league and the team was loaded with talent at the skill positions.

But after sharing the NFC North lead at 3-3, the Lions have dropped four of their last five games to fall out of the postseason hunt for the sixth straight season.

In his two-plus years in Detroit, Mariucci had a 15-28 record — a far cry from the 60-43 mark he had during six seasons in San Francisco.

Mariucci has two more seasons left on a five-year, $25-million contract signed when he was hired in 2003.

geez...pulling harrington (who wasn't the reason why they were losing) for garcia came across as "i have no idea what i'm doing", kinda move. maybe we can get him to be our OC?

firing millen would be the obvious move to me. this guy is in way over his head. wasn't he the guy who tried to be a ref?

Archived