Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

King Abdullah Of Jordan Declares An All Out War On Islamic Militants

visionary

Jordan's king urges all-out war on militants

Abdullah appoints new prime minister in wake of Amman hotel attacks

The Associated Press

Updated: 10:38 a.m. ET Nov. 24, 2005

AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan’s King Abdullah II urged his new prime minister Thursday to launch an all-out war against Islamic militancy in the wake of the triple hotel bombings earlier this month that killed 63 people.

In a letter to newly appointed Prime Minister Marouf al-Bakhit, Abdullah said the Nov. 9 bombings “increase our determination to stick to our reform and democratization process, which is irreversible.”

“At the same time, it reaffirms our need to adopt a comprehensive strategy to confront the Takfiri culture,” Abdullah said, referring to the ideology adopted by al-Qaida and other militants who condone the killing of those they consider infidels.

Abdullah said the strategy should “not only deal with the security dimension, but also the ideological, cultural and political spheres to confront those who choose the path of destruction and sabotage to reach their goals.”

Al-Bakhit was Jordan’s ambassador to Israel until appointed to head the national security council six days after the bombings.

Prime Minister Adnan Badran resigned earlier Thursday, the official told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because he is not allowed to speak to the press.

The official Petra news agency confirmed Badran’s resignation, saying the prime minister, had tendered his Cabinet’s resignation to the king and the monarch accepted it. Badran took office in April.

The change of government is part of general shake-up following the suicide bombings, which hurt Jordan’s reputation as one of the most stable countries in the Middle East.

Al-Bakhit was appointed Nov. 15 to head the national security council.

Government officials said the king may have chosen al-Bakhit because of his reputation as a tough former general who ran a southern Jordanian university that trains army and police recruits.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10192493/

What a surprise, the usuals aren't here ;)

I'll chalk it up to Thanksgiving

I'll do it...

"it's supposed to be a religion of peace and they want to kill militants?"

(or)

"if only the Bush Administration had the same policy (as Jordan), when they were in Afghanistan!"

:D

(mix and match, lol)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(the author of this post does not hold to either of these ideas...by the way) :)

I'll do it...

"it's supposed to be a religion of peace and they want to kill militants?"

(or)

"if only the Bush Administration had the same policy (as Jordan), when they were in Afghanistan!"

:D

(mix and match, lol)

Its funny for me

Being in general a right wing Muslim I get it from both sides, a lot

So I'll subtly call out people from time to time ;)

I don't see the humor. It, the article, strikes me as news that could be seen be right/left Muslim/nonMuslim as good news. (Well, perhaps not by terrorists... but everyone else!)

The funny point was, I always take flak from both sides

You'll see me in one thread defending Muslims in general, then in another place defending the war on terror

Bizzaro world for me indeed

What a surprise, the usuals aren't here ;)

I'll chalk it up to Thanksgiving

A quote from Rush Limbaugh...

"What is good news for America is bad news for Liberals.

What is bad news for America is good news for Liberals."

The simple fact is all Americans should be excitied about a country such as Jordan making such a strong statement against radical terrorists. Our country's continued involvement in this part of the world will continue to give confidence to leaders and peace loving people in the Middle East that have been ravaged by evil dictators to act for their own freedom. :applause:

A quote from Rush Limbaugh...

"What is good news for America is bad news for Liberals.

What is bad news for America is good news for Liberals."

The simple fact is all Americans should be excitied about a country such as Jordan making such a strong statement against radical terrorists. Our country's continued involvement in this part of the world will continue to give confidence to leaders and peace loving people in the Middle East that have been ravaged by evil dictators to act for their own freedom. :applause:

by the usuals he wasn't speaking about about lefties he was talking about anti-Islam posters..

Archived