Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shawne Merriman highlights of 2005: Man is Beast

The Full Monty

If we ran a 3-4 Lavar would have twice the sacks Merriman does.

That's exactly the point. Why would we draft Merriman when we had Lavar on our team? The draft happened before Lavar got better from his injury and he was supposed to come in and start and be a beast in Williams' scheme. No way we could have picked Merriman, in fact, we would have been widely criticized for doing so with Lavar and Marcus on our team already.

Unless he was going to be used as a starting DE, but I think most teams were looking at him as a OLB.

We already have an OLB beast who can get to the QB - his name is Lavar Arrington - he's already proven that under Marvin Lewis. Why we don't turn him loose on 3rd downs, I have no idea.

Are you blind or are we watching a different clip? The guy is impressive and that sack against the cheifs was amazing, you don't often see LBs pushing offensive lineman back 5 yards to sack the QB.

Dude is 6"4, 275 pounds. He could easily play DT. Just because he plays LB doesnt mean he's a 6"1 210 pound guy... :doh:

And i dont care how good anyone looks on highlight clips. Watch the games dammit. Theres a reason why people call these videos "highlight clips". Heck even Ade Jimoh could be a pro bowl calibur cb if you judge by highlights only. :rolleyes:

Dude is 6"4, 275 pounds. He could easily play DT. Just because he plays LB doesnt mean he's a 6"1 210 pound guy... :doh:

And i dont care how good anyone looks on highlight clips. Watch the games dammit. Theres a reason why people call these videos "highlight clips". Heck even Ade Jimoh could be a pro bowl calibur cb if you judge by highlights only. :rolleyes:

So you are admitting that he is a beast? He is 6"4 275 and can RUN, that's amazing. He's got a great speed/power combo, you can't deny this kid is good. I do watch all the Bolt games, unlike you I'm sure, and the kid can just play.

I didn't need the highlight clip to know Merriman is a straight beast. I've seen several Bolts games this year and Merriman is the real deal. He could have just as easily played DE in a 4-3 as LB in a 3-4. He's amazing. Dude hits harder even than Arrington, has pass rush moves (unlike Arrington) and has the speed to chase players down. For example, in the highlight link he was beat in coverage by a receiver on a play but he was able to make up ground and make the tackle.

In hindsight we should have drafted him instead of Rogers. I like Rogers, but Merriman is the real deal-in time, he may be as good as Peppers. If you have a franchise DE like that fall to you in the draft you have to recognize it and snap him up.

Merriman is a beast and will continue to develop in the NFL as he learns how to drop into coverage, which he didn't do much of at Maryland.

I don't see how you people here can be dissing him since he is EXACTLY what this team lacks, a pass rusher who can get to the QB.

You can keep saying Rogers was the better pick, that's fine, it's your opinion, but saying Merriman isn't good is just flat out stupid and wrong.

[QUOTE=Nuwanda]I really think you have absolutely no idea how Merriman did/does. The only thing you've seen about him is this great highlight video where he was unblocked numerous times or even got owned (by curtis martin). I mean how can you turn such miserable plays in to a good plays? because he made tackles after ****in up? Wow. impressive.

Jealousy is a rotten stench!!

This highlight video is nothing special. Keep in mind that these are his best plays of the season and none of them are that impressive (except for that bull rush on Roaf-but based on the rest of the video, that's probably a fluke). I also need to set a few people straight.

He chased down a TE from behind, not a WR. #86 on the Jets is Chris Baker, a TE. And that RT that he got by on the Chiefs, yeah that's accually Dunn, a TE. Like you guys said, he could have played DE in the 4-3 so its not that impressive if he beats a TE for a sack. Most of his sacks/hits on the QB come after he has been blocked and the QB runs right to him or to a place where he doesn't need to beat the blocker to get to the QB.

I'm not saying that he isn't a good player because, other than this Highlight video, I've never seen him play. Based on his physical attributes and ability to play multiple positions he sounds like he's a beast, but based on this highlight video there is NO WAY you can make that conclusion. Don't drool over this video. He doesn't even make any hard hits.

This highlight video is nothing special. Keep in mind that these are his best plays of the season and none of them are that impressive (except for that bull rush on Roaf-but based on the rest of the video, that's probably a fluke). I also need to set a few people straight.

He chased down a TE from behind, not a WR. #86 on the Jets is Chris Baker, a TE. And that RT that he got by on the Chiefs, yeah that's accually Dunn, a TE. Like you guys said, he could have played DE in the 4-3 so its not that impressive if he beats a TE for a sack. Most of his sacks/hits on the QB come after he has been blocked and the QB runs right to him or to a place where he doesn't need to beat the blocker to get to the QB.

I'm not saying that he isn't a good player because, other than this Highlight video, I've never seen him play. Based on his physical attributes and ability to play multiple positions he sounds like he's a beast, but based on this highlight video there is NO WAY you can make that conclusion. Don't drool over this video. He doesn't even make any hard hits.

Um...how about the backwards diving one armed sack?

How many 270+ pound DEs in the NFL can keep up with, let alone run down from behind, TEs? Peppers, Freeney, Rice, maybe a couple of others. When you're keeping that kind of company you've done something....as a rookie no less. It will be really interesting to see what kind of player he is in two years. Stop stirring the Hater-Aid dude, you're only making yourself look bad.

There are some people here that just refuse to acknowledge that players from other teams are good.

Look on the brightside, we could've been the Cowboys who passed on him because of "character issues"....which anyone who follows Maryland football and has followed Shawne would tell you is COMPLETE BS.

How many 270+ pound DEs in the NFL can keep up with, let alone run down from behind, TEs? Peppers, Freeney, Rice, maybe a couple of others. When you're keeping that kind of company you've done something....as a rookie no less. It will be really interesting to see what kind of player he is in two years. Stop stirring the Hater-Aid dude, you're only making yourself look bad.

The tight end he tackled is listed at 260. A 270 pound "beast" ran down a no name 260 pound TE. Please tell me why that's so impressive:rolleyes:. I'm stating the FACTS based on what I saw in that highlight video. You're making it seem like he's faster than every TE in the league. It was one play and he swiped at his feet after making a dive. True this is great effort, but it is not indicative of superior athletic ability.

Um...how about the backwards diving one armed sack?

Maybe you need to view the video again because there is no play that matches that description on it. I'm assuming that you're referring to the McNAbb sack, which, let me refresh your memory, isn't that impressive at all. He persued McNabb for five yards (It wasn't a "backwards diving" sack) then dove and tripped him with his hand.

I have also made another important discovery by watching that video again. Willie Roaf must have been injured when the Chargers played him because on the play where Merriman loses his helmet #95 on the Chargers pushes Roaf all the way back into the the QB the same way Merriman did. There goes the credit he got from me for that play. This video proves nothing.

Maybe you need to view the video again because there is no play that matches that description on it. I'm assuming that you're referring to the McNAbb sack, which, let me refresh your memory, isn't that impressive at all. He persued McNabb for five yards (It wasn't a "backwards diving" sack) then dove and tripped him with his hand.

I have also made another important discovery by watching that video again. Willie Roaf must have been injured when the Chargers played him because on the play where Merriman loses his helmet #95 on the Chargers pushes Roaf all the way back into the the QB the same way Merriman did. There goes the credit he got from me for that play. This video proves nothing.

I apoligize I only assumed it was the same video posted on the Bolts forums any way it was a sack on Boller i beleive. A simply amazing play!!

LOL I cant wait for sunday I'm go ahead and gaurantee atleast 5 sacks for the chargers defense. You obviously have not watched a Bolts game this year!

LOL I cant wait for sunday I'm go ahead and gaurantee atleast 5 sacks for the chargers defense. You obviously have not watched a Bolts game this year!

Wow. Did you read the post in which I stated that I have never seen Merriman play and that all I've seen of him was this highlight video:doh:. You're one hell of a detective:rolleyes:.

I said that he very well could be good, but I guess you're just looking to argue. Please read ALL of what I post before you critisize one post based on the tone that you think it has. -OR YOU COULD JUST LEAVE.

have also I made another important discovery by watching that video again. Willie Roaf must have been injured when the Chargers played him because on the play where Merriman loses his helmet #95 on the Chargers pushes Roaf all the way back into the the QB the same way Merriman did. There goes the credit he got from me for that play. This video proves nothing.

Ya #95 his name is shuan phillips... Brunelll will have the pleasure of meeting him on sunday to!!!....... STthereaper you are a playa-hater!

yeah what a beast. a beast who's unblocked most of the time. cover skills = 0. impressive. :doh:

His coverage skills are suspect but he's still a rookie... he'll get better every game...you deadskins fans have a heavy load to deal with...and I'm sorry to say your team won't be able to carry it's weight.

CHARGER FAN TILL THE DEATH OF ME!!!

His coverage skills are suspect but he's still a rookie... he'll get better every game...you deadskins fans have a heavy load to deal with...and I'm sorry to say your team won't be able to carry it's weight.

CHARGER FAN TILL THE DEATH OF ME!!!

preach on brother. after this game well be able to put together another highlight film for merriman. skins have no answeres for our O or D. 34-17 BOLTS WIN!!!

What you can see in the video here is his intensity. You can tell he is completely focused, going 110% on every play. But remember again, this is a "highlight" clip. It's impressive for a rookie, but him going this hard he will have the same fate as Arrington, a near career ending injury. Maybe not anytime soon, but say 5 years down the road, like Arrington. I don't wish him that at all, the guy is a beast, he has the intensity that many linebackers don't have, and it makes games more fun to watch. Hope our lineman blow him up to next week this weekend though. :)

He was unblocked most of the time. Thats a fact. Its easy to get sacks when nobody blocks you (dont you agree? :rolleyes: ). He's 6th in total tackles (ahead of their nosetackle & backup ilb). Why do you say he didnt play the first few games? He was inactive in week 1, thats right but after week 1 he was active every week and had 1-2 tackles/game. Oh and Holdman DOES NOT suck. He's one of the best backup olb's in the NFL...

He has only started 3 games and has 7 sacks that is pretty good. You gotta realize he is only a rookie and was not just thrown in there after game 1. He still didnt see that many snaps after that. After his sack total rises to 10 you will see why he is good.... because he comes unblocked???? suree buddy. they just forgot to block him 7 times lol.

Archived